Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How powerful is the "whole" Nameless One?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Since MCA is such a nice guy I figured I'd ask him directly about the issue, so I sent him a mail. This was his response.

MCA said:
Anything I could give would be speculation, I'd rather leave the mystery without quantifying it, Gustav. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but over-explaining or reducing a theme or character to numbers or basis of comparison sometimes robs a theme or character of its strength (if we ever cross paths, I'll explain how Marvel Super Heroes RPG basically ruined almost all the Marvel superhero characters for me).

:mca:

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Lockkaliber said:
Since MCA is such a nice guy I figured I'd ask him directly about the issue, so I sent him a mail. This was his response.

MCA said:
Anything I could give would be speculation, I'd rather leave the mystery without quantifying it, Gustav. Probably not the answer you want to hear, but over-explaining or reducing a theme or character to numbers or basis of comparison sometimes robs a theme or character of its strength (if we ever cross paths, I'll explain how Marvel Super Heroes RPG basically ruined almost all the Marvel superhero characters for me).

:mca:

MCA is a sweet, sweet man.

Redeye

Arcane
I thought TNO separated himslf from his mortalitity in order to survive the Blood War.

I.E.: he made an insurance policy to protect him from the consequences of his Blood War Contract. (Dying- and being absorbed into one of the Outer Planes.)

Each incarnation became more forgetful, so as the contract-breaking penalties increased, he became even less aware of the contract he was evading.

An ironic side effect is that his centuries of evasion made him much more able to survive the term of his contract than if he had just tried to survive it at his original power level.

So his plan may have worked in the end anyway.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MicoSelva said:
Please, let's not make this a 'who is stronger, Goku or Vegeta' thread.
Listing D&D stats is one step too far, I think.

Vegeta. And he is way more cool. Well, at least in Abridged series because I haven't (and won't) watched official anime.

Abridged version should be watched by everyone, even those who hate anime. First episode is mediocre but since ep 2 it's awesome

grotsnik

Arcane
What a gent. And he's right, too - fun though it is to argue about this stuff, it is ultimately reductive to take a good character and obsess over what their Top Trump ratings are. Sure, Torment was technically D & D, so it's legitimate to ask the question, but I always felt the game didn't really give two shits about the practical application of levels or why people can't be brought back to life with a Resurrection spell, etc. It was all about the story.

Not quite the same, but it does slightly remind me of those fucking TV Tropes pages that take literature's greatest characters and argue about whether they're Lawful Good or Chaotic Neutral.

:x

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Serious_Business said:
Listing D&D stats is one step too far, I think.

Ya think? Christ, makes me want to tear Malakal's fingers off.

Dude You dont even know how much time I wasted searching for those stats (up to 10 minutes really!).

But seriously how can we even compare powerlevels without stats then?

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Because stats and levels don't count, when players can make insane powerbuilds. Hive-Mind and Pun-Pun comes to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom