Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to enjoy Morrowind?

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That one guy gave you a rating of the guy pulling his head away from the screen wondering WTF he is reading. Well, I just did that in real life. Who would think that is even a thing.
Let me put it like that. There are practical consequences of the fact that one of the main guys behind Morrowind, and the main guy (Kuhlmannfags GTFO) behind parts of the lore that were introduced into the franchise with Battlespire-Redguard-Morrowind revolution (a break which happened when Bethesda decided that stock Tolkien-D&D style fantasy world of Arena-Daggerfall era isn't really what they are going for), is a known fan and possibly a practitioner of some form of gnosticism.

TES is a unique franchise not only because Bethesda manages to sell millions of copies of absolute shit games under this trademark. There's more to it than meets the eye.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Well, as of late (couple of years) he seems to be a lucid person, so... Still, with c0da completed he also abandoned TES, so that may be the reason. But yeah, some (read: a lot) drugs were involved in creation of the lore of Morrowind. Not really a mystery.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Am I retarded? I was writing up a 300+ word script about Daggerfall and how it's meant to be played before realizing this thread is about Morrowind.

Falksi

Arcane
Been meaning to go back to Morrowind for some time, but justr tried installing it after readings this thread and my motherfucking CD player won't read the disk :argh:

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Going back to Morrowind.......going back to Morrowind.........:bounce::bounce::bounce:

install the hd vanilla texture mod, it's just one file for all ingame textures

xcXkwgXy_o.jpg

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
MGE XE
BTB's Game Improvements
HotFusion's Economy Adjustments (Crime plugin only)

You are welcome.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Try playing Daggerfall and Skyrim simultaneously. Once you've done that for a decent amount of time, report your results.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
If you aren't the sort of person who likes to explore dungeons because they're there, then you shouldn't be playing Morrowind. Or RPGs in general. But especially Morrowind. And even more especially Daggerfall. :M

Ash

Arcane
How to enjoy morrowind:

1. Throw away any OP shit. As a newbie though, you'll likely miss a bunch of it until later so it's not so bad.
2. Suffer through early game combat with the knowledge that it gets less annoying. The hit% is abysmal early on, but the higher your skill the greater the chance. And it's still better than Skyrim/Oblivion combat regardless.
3. Everything in moderation. Try not to focus on doing too much of any one thing. Don't go through a guild questline all in a row. Throw in some exploration. Likewise don't explore too much without doing a quest here and there. A lot of things in Morrowind are shit, but cumulatively it's a sum of its parts. Nonetheless, way better than Skyrim and Oblivion.
4. Consider modding it. But given how fragmented all the mods are that in in itself can be a pain in the ass. and I'm unaware if there's any "definitive" style mod that faithfully smooths out the rough edges (on a major scale, which is very much needed). Perhaps skip this part.

Possibly just don't play it and instead play better RPGs. You'll only cry when you realise there's half an AMAZING game in there waiting to be fulfilled with sequels, only that never happened and instead we got Oblivion and Skyrim. Heck play Arx Fatalis instead. Holds up better.

Beastro

Arcane
I'm trying to enjoy Morrowind but i cannot find any fun, I have to walk everywhere very slowly and it takes ages to get anywhere, and when I'm there, i'm out of stamina for combat and now I have to wait ages again for stamina to regenerate.

What am I doing wrong ?

Go in blind and play it as it comes not expecting a fast pace game, but one that slowly sinks in.

The not expecting shit is a big though. I recall hearing about it before playing how it was this wonderful RPG, but my mind assumed a conventional RPG Medieval world, it was amazing to have my expectations completely destroyed and that making me realize to stop playing the game on my terms but those the game established.

There's nothing to enjoy other than the pretty scenery, really.

Nein.

Stop trying to get powerful quick, especially in a game like MW where it's so easy to do that. Go along and enjoy those early moments being weak and scrounging for things because so much is lost once you get a decent run speed and are good in combat, things especially bcome rote once your get the MR to overcome the boots of blinding speeds bad effects and get enough stam that you can just spam attack until the enemies runs out.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
invent a time machine go back to morrowind's year of release buy it then play it for 5mins and then realize it is garbage and then kill your then-self and take over and stay in the past and become a moderator on Bethesda forums with the eventual goal of locking Summer out of power then sabotaging them from the inside during momma's gang's revolution.

JDR13

Arcane
If you want a serious answer... start by installing MGSO. Morrowind has not aged well, and it's one seriously ugly game by today's standards. MGSO brings it up par visually and makes a huge difference imo.

Of course that won't change the gameplay which is also pretty crappy, but at least you'll enjoy the hiking simulation more when the scenery looks good.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
If you want a serious answer... start by installing MGSO. Morrowind has not aged well, and it's one seriously ugly game by today's standards. MGSO brings it up par visually and makes a huge difference imo.

Of course that won't change the gameplay which is also pretty crappy, but at least you'll enjoy the hiking simulation more when the scenery looks good.

MGSO is badly optimised and sometimes makes radical departures from vanilla's aesthetics from what I've heard, so I wouldn't recommend it.

Beastro

Arcane
I don't get the hate for MWs graphics. Yeah they're not great, but they're not late 90s quality stuff.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Stand on a stone railing adjacent a building that has a sconce on the wall. Bind jump to a button and leave a weight on that button over night, jumping 3 inches, to bang tour head on the sconce. You will jump very quickly. Wake up to 100 acrobatics. That's what my dad did lol.

Deleted Member 16721

I'll just copy and paste DraQ's post from that other thread:

Yeah, all you really need to enjoy Morrowind is treating it as a world instead of game:
  • avoiding metainformation (so no wiki, internet searches nor poking around with CS)
  • avoiding outright exploits (basically stuff that shouldn't work)
  • avoiding boring, repetitive activity cycles (for example if you find yourself at a merchant doing something along the lines of "buy ingredients->alchemy->sell potions->wait 24h for restock->repeat" then fucking stop)
  • not training unless you actually need to and never in long sessions (see above for repeating training sessions, plus Morrowind isn't particularly well balanced in regards to level so by making ton of cash and burning it all on training you may miss the sweet spot altogether)
  • taking it slow - it's all about the journey, not the destination (as the destination will be boring, maxed out demigod anyway).
  • avoiding actions aimed specifically at level up mechanics - don't aim for specific multipliers, or maxing out HP in the long run, just let level ups happen as you play
  • paying attention - Morrowind has a lot of information it won't spell out for you, hidden in all sorts of stuff, from layout of the world, through all sorts of text, to individual models and textures - again, treat it as a world, rather than a game.
  • Oh, and get the official patches plus Morrowind Code Patch - I would avoid modding it the first time around.

I'll sum it up - Play organically. I'd add one not-quite-metaknowledge bit, which is to just make sure you build a decent starting character. You don't need advanced knowledge, just common RPG Sense. If you want to build a swordsman, make sure your stats and skills reflect that. Basic shit.

And stay the hell away from the Codex or looking up any information when you play it. Immerse yourself, if that is possible for young people to do today in a video game that does not contain explosions or movie-like cutscenes every 6.3 seconds.

JDR13

Arcane

MGSO is badly optimised and sometimes makes radical departures from vanilla's aesthetics from what I've heard, so I wouldn't recommend it.

MGSO runs fine as long as you have a decent system. As far as the graphical style, I suppose that's subjective, but I found it to be "Morrowindish" enough to not feel out of place. Regardless, it's a HUGE improvement over the unmodded visuals.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Well, as of late (couple of years) he seems to be a lucid person, so... Still, with c0da completed he also abandoned TES, so that may be the reason. But yeah, some (read: a lot) drugs were involved in creation of the lore of Morrowind. Not really a mystery.

You don't need drugs to copy+paste entire paragraphs of The Book of the Law with minor alterations. MK is a clever poseur with a way with words who obviously studied some comparative religion in college and is vaguely into esoteric Christianity/Thelema/gnosticism, but an enlightened visionary he is not. He has been fostering his little personality cult by playing mind games with nerds ever since back when he posted on the official TES forums and now he's got a small legion of imitators who think they're being deep with their c0das and headcanons when in reality they're just painting by numbers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom