Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

How to Write the Perfect Villain

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GameStar asked some RPG devs this question: http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/der-...acher-von-the-witcher-3-und-mehr,3316440.html

Here are a few responses (via Google Translate):

He has changed the world
120x150.jpg

Chris Avellone, Narrative Designer
( Pathfinder: Kingmaker , Fallout 2 , Knights of the Old Republic 2 )

Better authors than I have found that a hero is only as good as his opponent - if the antagonist is weak, it also degrades the hero's triumph. I consciously use the word "antagonist" because a rival is sometimes more exciting than a villain.

A good opponent consists of several parts - he has a strong background story (so that he does not exist exclusively during the game, but has a past that stretches before the beginning of the game), he has already stamped the world (the player Can see in figures and environments in the game world what the villain has done - this is especially effective as a harbinger of how he will change them when he gets the chance) and, most importantly, the player can play an active role In the fate of the villain (what we tried at Pathfinder: Kingmaker with every villain in each chapter).

If the player does not just experience a fight or roll-out challenge, but can actively intervene in the course of his opponent's plans, this makes him a more important part of the story of the antagonist, thus reinforcing the bond between the two figures.

He is doing something horrible to the player
120x150.jpg

Brian Fargo, Founder of InXile Entertainment
( Wasteland Series, Fallout )

I think the most effective way to create a villain that you really want to defeat is to let the player do something negative in the course of the gameplay - or the companions who have the authors that he loves them. There must be individuals who are important to the player, not faceless masses.

An interim sequence, in which the antagonist rages under unknown characters , creates no emotional bond. In so many games, you are not even interacting with the enemy until the final, and very often no emotion is associated with it. If Darth Vader were to appear in Star Wars just before the end, the entire effect would be lost.

If, on the other hand, Vader appears in the first level, then his best game moment ever comes out

And lastly, we like to make sure that the villain follows a world vision, according to which he does the right thing, and even if only in his own distorted logic.

He is a product of his world
120x150.jpg

Josh Sawyer, Senior Designer, Obsidian
( Pillars of Eternity and Pillars 2 , Fallout: New Vegas )

Everyone expects something different from a good villain. Some people prefer their opponents to be brutal, sadistic and incomprehensible. They want the completely strange evil, perhaps because they want to hate the character without any restraint.

But I prefer rogues who may be an antagonist, but the players can understand and perhaps even like them. Because I tend to postmodern thinking, I would also like to make the player understand that even villains are a product of their world.

From the story that the player creates through his fight against the villain, a new world emerges. And this, for its part, will create a new generation of "heroes", "rogues" and all others around them.

He is the dark reflection of the hero
120x150.jpg

Colin McComb, Creative Lead, InXile Entertainment
( Planescape: Torment , Torment: Tides of Numenera )

An antagonist should be powerful, smart, and the player character must always be one or two steps ahead. It must challenge the player so that the player always dances on the edge of futility when fighting the villain - other, better heroes have already tried to conquer him and failed, and the villain has only grown stronger. Show the strength of the villain as early as possible and make him appear invincible.

Personally, I believe that a villain should be a reflection of the player's character. A dark reflection, but with recognizable and comprehensible properties. The rogue could in another time be the logical next step on the path of the hero - driven to success at any cost, without regard for the lives of others, always making sure that their own decisions are the right one for all. In other circumstances, the hero and the villain could even find some similarities. The path to the side of the antagonist should be a constant temptation.

He deserved to win
120x150.jpg

Gavin Jurgens-Fyhrie, lead author, inXile Entertainment
( Torment: Tides of Numenera , Diablo 3 )

A villain must be better than the hero. If the hero is smart, the villain must be smarter. If the hero is tough, the rogue must be almost bulletproof. After every encounter with the villain, the hero should be surprised that he has survived at all.

And yet the villain is not just for the hero. Rogues are by definition success stories. They have suffered terrible losses and have set themselves the task of putting things back in order - at any cost. They have been working on this for years, while the hero has kept sheep in his remote mountain village.

In other words, villains are characters who deserve to win. Even if their goals are terrible and the hero has only a tiny chance to stop them.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is a interesting villain in Azrael's Tear. The funny part is this: He's all about that 'he has already stamped the world (the player Can see in figures and environments in the game world what the villain has done)' because he's not even in the game. He already left others to deal with his bull and went to better/worse things, and every singular villain in the actual game is someone damaged by him.

Pretty effective at stimulating imagination.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
In so many games, you are not even interacting with the enemy until the final, and very often no emotion is associated with it. If Darth Vader were to appear in Star Wars just before the end, the entire effect would be lost.

Fargo says this, yet in both Wastelands you don't meet the antagonist until the absolute very end.

But I prefer rogues who may be an antagonist, but the players can understand and perhaps even like them.

:hmmm:

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
In Numenera you get the big cockroach at the beginning though.
If you consider that the antagonist anyway.

Azarkon

Arcane
Five qualities were listed, now we should see which of the most popular CRPG villains fit the list.

The Master

Has changed the world? Yes, the Master created the super mutants and was responsible for much of the post-apocalyptic political and religious world.
Did terrible shit to the player? Not unless you think the world he created was responsible for the player being kicked out of his vault.
Is a product of his world? Yes, the Master could never have risen to the power before the apocalypse. He is the sort of opportunist who thrives in a post-apocalyptic world and who sees his mission as the only way to thrive in such a world.
Is a dark reflection of the hero? Yes, the Master was kicked out of his vault much like the player, and wandered the land until he used his wits and luck to become who he was, just like the player.
Deserves to win? Yes, the Master came from a humble background and through sheer will and intelligence, became the ruler of the waste lands. He was only defeated by another like him - the player character - coming from under the radar and beating his super mutants.

Sarevok

Has changed the world? Yes, he set off a chain of events that led to the iron shortage, the ascendance of the Iron Throne, and the take over of Candlekeep.
Did terrible shit to the player? Sort of, he killed Gorion, the player's guardian, and sent assassins after him, but here we have to assume the player cares about Gorion, a character he barely knows.
Is a product of his world? Yes, he was raised as a merchant lord's son, and discovered his Bhaalspawn blood which led him to his actions.
Is a dark reflection of the hero? Pretty much.
Deserves to win? Maybe? He had a smart plan but couldn't account for the player character surviving despite knowing the threat the player represented throughout the game. Probably should've spent more money on effective assassins.

Irenicus

Has changed the world? For a wizard of his power, Irenicus didn't do much to change the world. He failed to become a god, killed a bunch of Cowled Wizards, and attacked an elven city but not successfully.
Did terrible shit to the player? Yes, he tortured the player and stole the player's birth right.
Is a product of his world? Not exactly. While his personal tragedy led him to pursue the player character, his original desire to become a god doesn't fit the typical elven wizard background and he seems quite eccentric.
Is a dark reflection of the hero? Yes, like Sarevok, he reflects the player's evil, power hungry side, especially since the player is destined to become a god.
Deserves to win? Not exactly. He was powerful, but failed to make full use of his power. It's not explained why he allows the player to live after he took his soul.

The Transcendent One

Has changed the world? Sort of. The Transcendent One does less than most of the player's incarnations. He does send shadows to kill off key characters, but otherwise doesn't do much.
Did terrible shit to the player? Yes, he kills the player again and again so as to make him forget.
Is a product of his world? I suppose. The Transcendent One exists to remind the player that nothing can change the nature of a man - that is, he is the representation of the player's past evil deeds and his guilt.
Is a dark reflection of the hero? Not exactly, but the incarnations are.
Deserves to win? No. The Transcendent One didn't do much to get to where he is, and while he successfully made the player die countless times in the past, it's not certain who he accomplishes this by just sending weak shadows.

Thaos

Has changed the world? Yes. Thaos has engineered the downfall of entire civilizations and wiped out cities. He is responsible for the Hollowing of the Dyrwood.
Did terrible shit to the player? He caused the player to Awaken, but that's by accident. It wasn't Thaos's intent. The player is insignificant to Thaos and not worth his time.
Is a product of his world? Yes. Thaos is one of the last members of an ancient civilization that discovered there were no gods, and his entire ideology and drive is shaped by this discovery.
Is a dark reflection of the hero? No. Thaos and the player doesn't have a lot to do with each other. Again, to Thaos the player is insignificant, and while the player may have opposed him in the past, this is not developed.
Deserves to win? I guess? Thaos seems to have always succeeded up until the player came along, and with all the ancient knowledge and power at his disposal, no wonder. Yet, his decisions towards the end of the game leave much to be desired; he doesn't feel like he deserves to win over the player given his many advantages.

And that's all I have the time to do, for now.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
The Trascendent One is the best villain ever. With the best last encounter.

MasPingon

Arcane
At first when I looked at it I thought those short descriptions are about each developer, they fit very nice, especially Fargo's.

But I prefer rogues who may be an antagonist, but the players can understand and perhaps even like them. Because I tend to postmodern thinking, I would also like to make the player understand that even villains are a product of their world.

I hate this postmodern bullshit, it goes in pair with SJW propaganda. You want to make a great villain which is a product of his world? Take a look at Bloody Baron, that's how you do it, without making a victim of the torturer. It is obvious that enviroment takes an important role in particular person behaviour, but don't blame society for every human action, god damn paternalistic hipster.

Last edited:

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Fargo says this, yet in both Wastelands you don't meet the antagonist until the absolute very end.
Never played Wasteland 1 so I don't know when the villain first shows itself to the player there, but in Wasteland 2 there's a giant "InXile Entertainment" logo right after starting the game.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
you don't meet the antagonist
You don't meet him but you hear about him and can see the results of his actions quite early in the game. He basically fits to what MCA said:

Chris Avellone said:
A good opponent consists of several parts - he has a strong background story (so that he does not exist exclusively during the game, but has a past that stretches before the beginning of the game), he has already stamped the world (the player Can see in figures and environments in the game world what the villain has done - this is especially effective as a harbinger of how he will change them when he gets the chance) and, most importantly, the player can play an active role In the fate of the villain

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
nobody deserves anything more than they can grab with their own two hands, Gavin
if the hero succeeded then his Wille zur Macht must have been demonstrably greater than that of the villain

Liked what Avelone said too and Fargo approach gives your PC the more realistic motivation and drive than highly idealistic one; Colin MacCuck and Sawyer are just (post)modernist empty talk and forcing PC to be a Messianic figure; both are very bsb. Fallout New Vegas was the breath of fresh air where after dealing with Benny it was the Courier who decided whose your antagonist and Villain in Story and History book was; even if the game design steered you to help NCR and fight Caeasar route.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Best villains or antagonists for me are characters who i've wanted to play as, which is good thing about Nameless I suppose, you get to do that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Can somebody who knows German read the link and tell us whether the Google Translation is accurate?

Last edited:

Alkarl

Learned
At first when I looked at it I thought those short descriptions are about each developer, they fit very nice, especially Fargo's.

I hate this postmodern bullshit, it goes in pair with SJW propaganda. You want to make a great villain which is a product of his world? Take a look at Bloody Baron, that's how you do it, without making a victim of the torturer. It is obvious that enviroment takes an important role in particular person behaviour, but don't blame society for every human action, god damn paternalistic hipster.

Yeah, same here. It's a bit early, I'm on my phone, and my eyes haven't quite adjusted to the small text. Thought this was a list of candidates.

As far as I'm concerned, they're all qualified, especially the two pirates at the bottom of the list.

Also, I don't care if they're a product of their environment, just make them successful. Successful>Sympathetic.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
I don't really like the idea of a clear cut protagonist vs antagonist scenario. You watch the cutscene introducing the villain in question and go all like "yeah, so this is the guy I get to kill at the end of this game, mhhhm". Cheapens the whole experience.

But what're you gonna do about it?

In some Japanese games they have an adversary (often in addition to a cartoony be all end all villain). That guy/gal is usually very similar to the protagonist, but just playing for the other team. This means competition, and competition plays well into the whole video game mechanic. E.g. Albus from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia comes to mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom