Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hype Machine 1, Fallout fans Nil

D

Scholar
MountainWest said:
The thing is (for everyone saying this was a good trailer): the finale of the trailer didn't have to be a cool looking guy in a power armor, holding a big ass gun. But that's what Bethesda chosed. And I'm not surprised since that's exactly the kind of mentality I'm expecting from them.

The intro to Fallout 2 involved several big ass guns perforating several random vault dwellers. Point?

Pegultagol

Erudite
I guess when a teaser trailer that is supposed to be about Fallout 3 amounts to being a somewhat awkward homage to the first Fallout introduction, fans can rightfully express some concern and mild disappointment, or relief that they can draw from already rich atmosphere or history when all else is cause for doom.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Meh. The atmosphere dropped to null when the epic music turned in; I was quite interested before that.
Imagine the teaser gradually filled with silence as you move further from the bus. Just a few environmental sounds. And then, ominous and unexpected huffing of the soldier.
Maybe it's just me, but imho it'd be really better this way.

D

Scholar
Speaking of which, if this is done on the actual engine, does this mean that the game itself will have the blue 'general' coloring? Seems a little different to FO1/2's orange coloring.

Pegultagol

Erudite
Maybe the game will have night and day cycles, that the trailer may be placed at dusk. Or the blue color filtering could be suggested effect of radioactive dust, or something. I wonder where Fallout 3 falls into in terms of timeline of the series?

Ion Flux

Savant
Project: Eternity
Honestly, I wouldn't read too much into this. I can't even bring myself to look at the NMA forums about this because I know it's chock full of obsessive speculation.

Bethesda is just making an effort to connect in every way possible with FO1&2 without revealing how truly different their game will be.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
D said:
Speaking of which, if this is done on the actual engine, does this mean that the game itself will have the blue 'general' coloring? Seems a little different to FO1/2's orange coloring.

It feels like The Matrix Reloaded color.

D

Scholar
The color actually reminds me a little of 'atmosphere' the mod I have running on STALKER. Come to think of it, blue is probably better suited for urban USA than bulldust orange is, but Fallout always had Mad Max inspiration to begin (as well as being an alternate universe anyway), so I dunno what to think.

Lurkar

Scholar
You know, I don't want to think that the Codex would just complain for the sake of complaining, but I'm starting to see that a bit.

I have the absolute lowest expectations for Fallout 3, but the teaser, while empty, was still at least "not bad." Cut out the dramatic music at the end and it would be a lot better, but it's still pretty fucking decent. At the very least, Bethesda is showing us that they aren't just randomly shitting on the floor and calling it their new game - they've at least done SOME research into the series. You can bitch about it just copying FO1, but hey - that means they know what FO1 is.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've just seen the teaser and I've just got one question.

What's that building in the cemter of the view? For a moment I wondered if I was looking at a Half-Life 2 trailer.

Other than that, meh. I'd have hoped for at least some trivial gameplay footage, a guy wandering around doing nothing, a few interface shots, that sort of thing.

OsirisGod

Liturgist
It is time to get the C++ coding books from my vault just in case , game devs are gay these days , why the fuck didn't Blizzard buy Fallout IP , at least there i would have
had faith , with Bethsoft there is so little feedback its silly
like they try to hide from their customers the product they
wish to sell them.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Claw said:
What's that building in the cemter of the view? For a moment I wondered if I was looking at a Half-Life 2 trailer.
looks like that overpriced replica of an egyptian obelisk the americans put in front of their capitol, in a slightly dismantled state.
nah, watchamacallit.. washington monument.

The_Pope

Scholar
If they have consequences for actions and make a real PC version then there's a good chance I'll buy it. One with a decent interface and no hand holding.

Who am I kidding? Thats not going to happen.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
OsirisGod said:
It is time to get the C++ coding books from my vault just in case , game devs are gay these days , why the fuck didn't Blizzard buy Fallout IP , at least there i would have
had faith , with Bethsoft there is so little feedback its silly
like they try to hide from their customers the product they
wish to sell them.

Blizzard? Why? So we can have level grinding and Horrigan runs for uber loot? If you're going to dream, at least dream big!

zioburosky13

Educated
Folks, don't fall to the hype just because we have seen BOS Powerarmor, listened to 50-era music and heard Ron Perlman's voice. I'm still skeptic with what Bethesda is cooking.

Proof me wrong, pete. (with an isometric view and turn-based combat and a M rating) :twisted:

Redeye

Arcane
Ausir said:
Pete Hines confirmed it's newly recorded and Perlman will narrate the intro, so it's not as if they paid him only for the 4 words, they paid him for the whole intro narration and then took the first 4 words for the intro.

Just the intro? *Not multiple endings?*

"This does not bode well for the good guys..."

HanoverF said:
Did anyone not predict they were gonna use 'I Don't Want to Set the World on Fire' laziest choice ever

The original Fallout crew wanted that song, but couldn't afford it. So maybe[sic] Bethesda is showing off by obtaining rights to what the first crew couldn't get.

SuicideBunny said:
looks like that cheap ass replica of an egyptian obelisk the americans put in front of their capitol, in a slightly dismantled state.
nah, watchamacallit.. washington monument.

The Founders were big on mystical stuff. The Eagle symbol on the US Seal is actually a stand-in for the Pheonix. Also the number 13 is prominent in US symbology- especially emblems and currency. The number 13 stands for destruction and rebirth, as does the Pheonix.

This explains the Obelisk. (btw it is not cheap, it was made by 19th century artisans in accordance with Classical principles. It is not cheap concrete over a wire frame. Huge-ass marble blocks all the way, with granite beneath and olde-fashioned ironwork inside.)

Who wants to bet there will be at least one treasure map...

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The Founders were big on mystical stuff. The Eagle symbol on the US Seal is actually a stand-in for the Pheonix. Also the number 13 is prominent in US symbology- especially emblems and currency. The number 13 stands for destruction and rebirth, as does the Pheonix.

No. No! I won't even entertain the possibility of a National Treasure-esque plot.

Redeye

Arcane
OldSkoolKamikaze said:

No. No! I won't even entertain the possibility of a National Treasure-esque plot.

wagers?

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
the pc's father will be a legendary retired paladin whom you'll inherit a cryptic map and a journal from. the journal will have entries in a random order, with number codes, much like a stand-alone adventure, and it will be entirely voiced over. you'll follow the leads on the map which will continually reveal the proper/real entries with their respective numbers, and you'll end up in some sort of abandoned government vault, which, in a surprising plot twist, will be right under your house, where the final journal entry will reveal that you are in fact adopted, and a descendant of the late president, which allows you to unlock the genetically locked bunker and to become president of the us and what remains of the rest of the world.

Redeye said:
better now?

Redeye

Arcane
SuicideBunny said:
better now?

I remember going up in there when I was a kid.

Fukn awesome.

Then I found out that no DC buildings are allowed to be taller.

Maintaining the illusion.

Also, your avatar, though undoubtedly generic, reminds me of Stringy Pete from Arcanum.

:salute:

This site needs more and better emoticons.

fake edit: someone will edit the "emoticons" to "forum posters".

I'm psychic about that shit.

obediah

Erudite
Section8 said:
Said this on NMA when someone started complaining it was too much like the FO1 trailer.

When FO3 starts to copy FO1, there is NO WAY I'm going to start complaining. If Bethsoft want to appeal to that demographic, if bethsoft want to ape FO1 - with all the ways FO3 could otherwise go - seriously, that's pretty good going.

Complaining it's too much like FO1 is really shooting yourself in the foot.

The problem is, it proves nothing beyond "Bethesda are capable of aping Fallout's intro". It doesn't show that they "get" Fallout. It doesn't show that they have any intention of making a Fallout game. It shows they can mimic a cinematic intro according to a checklist.

Slow pull back revealing a ruined city? Check.
Vault Voy? Check.
Inkspots? Check.
Ron Perlman? Check.
T-51b (almost)? Check.

They either have no fucking idea at all, or they have no faith in their ability to show something "fallout-y" without directly aping it. Or I guess it could be a cynical move on their part because they know anything they haven't directly mimicked just doesn't look like Fallout.

And I think worst of all, this reeks of "safe and inoffensive". The very philosophy that brought us such great moments in creative expression as the horribly tepid Oblivion, or Matchbox 20.

Shut up faggot.

There will be plenty of shit to get riled up about over the next 18 months. But you've bunched your tampons into a knot over absolutely nothing.

fizzelopeguss

Arcane
Lurkar said:
You know, I don't want to think that the Codex would just complain for the sake of complaining, but I'm starting to see that a bit.
Pretty much.

I have the absolute lowest expectations for Fallout 3, but the teaser, while empty, was still at least "not bad." Cut out the dramatic music at the end and it would be a lot better, but it's still pretty fucking decent. At the very least, Bethesda is showing us that they aren't just randomly shitting on the floor and calling it their new game - they've at least done SOME research into the series. You can bitch about it just copying FO1, but hey - that means they know what FO1 is.

I thought the video was pretty cool, panning out and seeing those art deco statues in the background was quite surprising. Now after seeing that i'm not gonna write the game off as a clusterfuck just yet.

Deleted member 7219

MountainWest said:
The thing is (for everyone saying this was a good trailer): the finale of the trailer didn't have to be a cool looking guy in a power armor, holding a big ass gun. But that's what Bethesda chosed. And I'm not surprised since that's exactly the kind of mentality I'm expecting from them.

You are a fool. FO1 had a guy in power armour shooting a rebel through the head. FO2 had guys in power armour making mincemeat out of Vault Dwellers. Find something else to complain about.

Redeye

Arcane
Matt7895 said:
MountainWest said:

You are a fool. FO1 had a guy in power armour shooting a rebel through the head. FO2 had guys in power armour making mincemeat out of Vault Dwellers. Find something else to complain about.

Maybe the irony is you start out in Power Armor and have to abandon it to "save the ppl".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom