Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Hype Machine 1, Fallout fans Nil

sheek

Arbiter
Question: What's with the Inkspots fixation - all the broken down (but not really broken) transistor radios playing the same song? Did they become the Beatles in Fallout's weird alternate universe or are the designers unable to think of any other 50s music?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It does not matter sheek. It does not matter at all.

They took the Inkspots, even the runner-up FO 1 song. A few people complain about lack of creativity. I can promise you that, had they took a different, fitting song from a different band, the exact same number of people would complain about them not being "true to the series".

Excrément

Arbiter
sheek said:
Question: What's with the Inkspots fixation - all the broken down (but not really broken) transistor radios playing the same song? Did they become the Beatles in Fallout's weird alternate universe or are the designers unable to think of any other 50s music?

besides Ron Pereleman do suck and was a pain to hear.

Dunedain

Novice
Just outside the door with dual Beretta 9mm's...
I think the teaser video is pretty good. I like how the proper atmosphere of Fallout is maintained. :)

The real question will be the gameplay. The Fallout series, along with Jagged Alliance 2, probably have the best tactical combat systems ever for detailed individual combat with small arms (plus with solid RPG elements) of any computer games. This is what's most important to be maintained from Fallout. I would prefer a turn-based system, but some sort of pauseable real-time combat system could be ok, too, if it's done right.

What we don't want is a FPS that just happens to take place in the setting of Fallout. I'm not against the idea of a Fallout FPS, if it's in a *separate* game (Fallout 4?), in addition to what Fallout fans really want in Fallout 3, not instead of it. Which is Fallout 3 to be focused on the intricate tactical squad-type isometric combat that has made Fallout so popular with gamers in the first place.

As far as the video goes, it doesn't indicate anything about the combat system one way or the other. Which kind of makes me nervous, since it leaves you wondering if the guys at Bethesda realize how important that tactical combat style is to the Fallout series and to it's many fans. I mean, yeah, the game is well over a year away, but still, by this time in a game's development usually the fans know something about the basic design of the game (like the combat system, which is central to a Fallout game). So being this secretive about the whole thing seems rather odd. On the other hand, it's just a teaser video, not a full trailer. It's meant to set the general atmosphere and tone of the game, not illustrate details about gameplay. And I think it did a good job of that. :)

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Funny how the camera, when moving out of the bus, was moving around all the time so that even the last idiot could spot the references to part 1 (vault boy advertising, enlistment advertising etc)

How...subtle.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Excrément said:
sheek said:

besides Ron Pereleman do suck and was a pain to hear.

Does suck. You are a pain to read.

Ander Vinz

Scholar
I think that most interesting thing is that "glittering gems of hatred" felt for the hype as well as a good number of "angry cunts". Funny.

Avin

Liturgist
Wtached the trailer now and like it a lot. I don't know what will be of the game but the atomsphere it's there.

Good work Bethesda.

Amasius

Augur
Avin said:
Wtached the trailer now and like it a lot. I don't know what will be of the game but the atomsphere it's there.

Good work Bethesda.
quack quack quack

Avin

Liturgist
Duck and cover. We won't probably be seeing drugs, violence and hookers but MAYBE we can walk the game and like the scenario... because nothing can be as good as FO1.

Amasius

Augur
Avin said:
... because nothing can be as good as FO1.
Bullshit. It's certainly possible to make a RPG as good as or even better than Fallout. Just don't expect such a game from Bethesda. They are only good at selling mediocrity to millions of people.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Amasius said:
Avin said:
... because nothing can be as good as FO1.
Bullshit. It's certainly possible to make a RPG as good as or even better than Fallout. Just don't expect such a game from Bethesda. They are only good at selling mediocrity to millions of people.

Agreed, fallout is the best prototypical RPG, but it has plenty of this that could be improved, and quite a few that are outright bad. But it has atmosphere and substance, something bethsheda is oblivious to (har-har). This is lacking in basically all modern games. That's why I respect HL2. Not as good as HL1, but you can see the developers trying.

sqeecoo

Arcane
Agreed. Although Ultima has too much dungeon crawling for my liking, and I think the early parts of Betrayal at Krondor are quite good too. PST, on the other hand, has really shitty combat, but is otherwise brilliant. It's the only game that I go around comparing with good books and concluding it's better (with LOTR for instance, which I otherwise like very much).

One Wolf

Scholar
Section8 said:
Maybe the headline should have been "Codex afflicted with battered wife syndrome". We've been beaten and raped repeatedly in the past, and the one day he comes home and you're all like "Wow, this is the first time in ten years you've remembered my name! You're the best!"

Then later that night when he's unbuttoning your blouse, you notice your name badge from work was pinned on it the whole time, and feed yourself a guilty lie that he would have remembered it anyway and that this is the start of a new, reformed marriage with a bright future.

Awesome.

Naked Ninja

Arbiter
Oh man, Penny Arcade's Tycho puts it so well :

I consider myself a fan of Fallout, at any rate I did before, and I was grieved to see it ransacked at the hands of an increasingly desperate Interplay. But it's become clear that what makes it Fallout to me is very different than it is for other fans. We ran into the same issue with Tribal War over Tribes 2, culminating in a brutal conflict that pitted gamer against gamer. As it relates to Fallout, I am distinguished from what you might call the Orthodox fan of the series. One is that I simply believe that elements like Turn-Based and Isometric were artifacts of their time. There is nothing wrong with them mechanically, they do not want for elegance, and the genre is still going strong in Japanese titles that I play and enjoy. But I'm not going to create a religion out of it because tiled environments happened to be expedient a million fucking years ago.

Fallout is not - for me - defined by its perspective. It's defined by the unique setting, and the meaningful, satisfying choices I can make to affect that setting. I don't care where the camera is. If those things are intact, they can put the camera in geosynchronous Goddamn orbit.

Rabid nitpickers of the world unite! You have nothing to lose but your dignity!

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I liked the teaser. Music, radio, Vault Boy, even the ruined city and, hell, yeah, Power Armour.

You, concerning about BOS too much in the promo art, check back at FO1 and FO2 intro movies, the promo art and other advertisment. BOS has been in the posters and movies allways. Deal with it, the final shot even looks similar to FO1 menu background. I really dont consider it as a major design problem or sign of potential threat.

http://nma-fallout.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=1527
http://nma-fallout.com/forum/album_pic.php?pic_id=840

That's fallout.

Commissioner

Novice
If they had maken PlaneScape turn-based I may agree with the above statement, as it turns out the combat was weak and detracted from the whole experience.

Lumpy

Arcane
Commissioner said:
If they had maken PlaneScape turn-based I may agree with the above statement, as it turns out the combat was weak and detracted from the whole experience.
No. The combat was there more for flavor than anything else - it's not like you could die anyway.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Lumpy said:
Arcanum > Fallout.
Planescape > both.
If Arcanum weren't such a pain in the ass to play and didn't have a ton of shitty action sequences I would agree with the top one. The second, of course, is true.

Commissioner

Novice
Lumpy said:
Commissioner said:
No. The combat was there more for flavor than anything else - it's not like you could die anyway.

Flavor? Stop talking bollocks.

Nutcracker

Scholar
Section8 said:
Maybe the headline should have been "Codex afflicted with battered wife syndrome". We've been beaten and raped repeatedly in the past, and the one day he comes home and you're all like "Wow, this is the first time in ten years you've remembered my name! You're the best!"

Then later that night when he's unbuttoning your blouse, you notice your name badge from work was pinned on it the whole time, and feed yourself a guilty lie that he would have remembered it anyway and that this is the start of a new, reformed marriage with a bright future.

Personal experience FTW?

sqeecoo

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Lumpy said:
Arcanum > Fallout.
Planescape > both.
If Arcanum weren't such a pain in the ass to play and didn't have a ton of shitty action sequences I would agree with the top one. The second, of course, is true.

Seconded. I cant bring myself to enjoy arcanum, no matter how hard I try. PST rules.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom