Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I don't like Planescape: Torment that much.

Kaanyrvhok

Arbiter
MicoSelva said:
The strongest point of PST is its creativity overload. There are so many cool ideas everywhere that You never really know what You will find around the corner. When I played it for the first time, I felt excited every time I was about to talk to someone new - and it rarely ended up in a disappointment.

Also the way all these ideas interconnect with each other is amazing. It's easy to make a "creative dump" and leave it like that, but here it's all made into a coherent whole that is hard to grasp all at once. Many layers can only be noticed on a second playthrough, when You aready have the big picture in mind.

:salute: :salute: :salute: :salute:

Its not just that the game is fucking theatric. Playing PST is like watching the godfather. It has culture. Even the little things are entertaining.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Fallout 2 and Torment have similar styles.

For example, both games have quests with no clear and visible solution at the time you get them.

Later, solving a completely unrelated quest gives you the solution to the quest you left unsolved earlier. I love that!

And sometimes, an entire mix of unrelated quests produces a new quest or a solution to a quest.

Example from Fallout 2 are all the series of actions required to buy a car from the Den. Example from Torment is the Dodecahedron, Brothel, lawyer, and other disparate quests all providing you a portal to Ravel's maze.

It's basically telling the player, "Forget about a solution. Just explore and find things, and a solution will reveal itself."

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
It worked well in Witcher, players tried to explore whole swamp, even when a book contained hint the last stuff will arrive by itself more or less unexpectedly.

Raghar said:
It worked well in Witcher, players tried to explore whole swamp, even when a book contained hint the last stuff will arrive by itself more or less unexpectedly.

fuck no. the whole swamp did not work thanks to thousands respawning mobs :decline:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom