Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I finally understand why JRPG like Tactics Ogre fuckin rocks

Heresiarch

Prophet
I've always wanted to play Tactics Ogre for over a dozen years. Due to various problem (language, emulator, etc), I couldn't play it until one week ago, as the official PSP port was out. And I must say I'm completely hooked to it.

Despite all the cute-style character sprites on the battlefield, and the weirdly translated conversations - I think they've used different translators for different parts of the game, I find the Warren report translations MUCH better than characters' conversations - the whole game is simply so damn good in every other aspect. Here's some of my thought:

Dark, gritty, mature story: yeah, I mean it. To be honest, before playing it, I thought it would be another cheesy "beautiful Asian looking hero saves the world with girls and fans all around cheering on him", complete with cheesy typical anime-ish witty one liners. But to my surprise, from the first hour's cutscenes, I find myself confused, because they're all discussing about serious political and racial issues. Then, after finishing chapter 1, I thought myself playing Witcher in disguise. And now, after finishing chapter 2, I find the game's story simply real and serious, dark and forboding (well, maybe not THAT dark, but I can't help but find very little lolzy moments at the story). Apparantly, you don't need to have blood and gore flying everywhere to create a mature story.

NPCs dying left and right: one of the most infamous thing of JRPG is how they're not afraid to kill off your supposedly liked or even loved characters without mercy. And it's not even like you can choose route B to avoid meeting some character and he or she will live. If you choose to become A, then she'll join you, otherwise, you must kill her. Of course, choosing A will make NPC X and Y die. Either killed by you, or by some other "accidents". Even NPC already joined you may leave if you choose the wrong (or right) route, and even other protagonists may die forever if you speak the wrong sentence. And due to the realisticness, I find characters in TO much more likable compared to Bioware guys, so I do feel sad if (and when) one of them dies, and it's great pleasure when I can finally recruit one of them after many encounters.

C&C: opposite to Biowarish "tons of senseless choices", TO have a few but all critical C&C. By critical I mean it'll make the whole chapter's story go in a completely different route, with completely different goals and characters. And of course just as said above, choosing the wrong answer will make people die. Not only so, but during actual battles, doing the wrong things or killing the wrong people may kill them forever, or make you impossible to recruit some important people.

Challenging combat: at the few hours, combat is quite easy. But now, after 1/3, battles become properly challenging and even downright brutal. Enemy archers and mages will aim for your healers and mages first, enemy mages will slow and petrify and weaken your bunch, enemy healers will heal their weakest guys and even throw fucking bombs to AOE your guys, and enemy troops who can use powerful finishing moves will not hestitate to unleash them on your guys. Fortunately (or popamoled some may say) death is not permanent in this PSP port - you have 3 turns to revive unconciouss troops, and even if they do "die", you have 3 lives for them to die off. If not so, I think half of my roster are already dust.

Everyone have lives: I was so astonished when I saw in the Warren report, that even some mini bosses who have showed up for only one battle (and promptly died there) and have even a generic portrait have their own character profile.

The Chariot system: well, you may say it's legal cheating, or may say it's the ultimate popamole incarnation by popamoling even the save/load system, but damn it's so convenient to "wind back" and try again rather than save every step and then load after you've made some terrible mistake several turns later.

While the game itself, do have some problems - very weird class-based levelling system, sometimes irritating UI (you can't check easily what NPC have learned what skills or spells, so you need to buy spells blindly and guess who shall learn what), annoying crafting system etc. But the story, the C&C, the characters, the tactical combat, are all very well designed. It has a story even more mature than western RPG who brand themselves as DARK GRITTY MATURE TM, has C&C who laughs at all the "A: Yeah. B: Why not? C: Of course!" choices, has characters who you can feel sympathized to them rather than want to kill them off over and over again like some whiney virgin warden or winged elf, it has tactical combat which doesn't show mercy to kill off your weakest spellcaster who somehow stand a little bit to the front.

All in all a very, very nice game. :love:

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
hey guys I realised why water is wet

it's because it's water

brb posting thread about it

Lightknight

Liturgist
Due to various problem (language, emulator, etc)
What language problem ? English release was out in 98 !

from the first hour's cutscenes, I find myself confused, because they're all discussing about serious political and racial issues.
Um, yeah, that. The problem of political issues in Japanese games in general, is that they are barely coherent. You play all the Quest games like FFT, TO, VS, and there are all those alliances, betrayals, cunning plans and whatnot, but when you start to unravel that ball of yarn - the entire picture doesnt really make any kind of sense, or the big picture may not even be present at all.
Try reading something like "Romance of the Three Kingdoms", there's your political issues galore.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
made said:
What is this japanofaggotry doing in my Dragon Age 2 forum?
Actually it's the first time when I think animefaggotry is an incline in GRPG...

Thrax

Novice
Law path is best path.

To anyone who is playing the game and not done so, raise some dragons. You will not regret it (after a while).

PorkaMorka

Arcane
They changed the permadeath mechanics in the PSP port?

:rage:

Truly dumbed down and next gen

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
On a certain level, I'd expect Tactics Ogre to be more at home in Strategy Gaming alongside Valkyria Chronicles.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
I enjoy the Tactics Ogre/Ogre Battle series. They're all named after Queen songs, which I think is pretty neat.

I also like games like Final Fantasy Tactics and Front Mission 3. Valkyria Chronicles was great too, but a little too weeaboo for my taste. I don't mind an anime art style, but all that 'Am I kawaii :3' shit needs to go...

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If you liked the story: Play Yasumi Matsuno's other games as well. Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version) and the first half of FF12 (make this your lowest priority.

He's pretty much the only good jRPG writer, and he's fucking good too.

made

Arcane
Lockkaliber said:
the first half of FF12 (make this your lowest priority.

Why, what changes in the second half? Writing was amazing throughout. Better than most recent western RPGs in fact.

I tried FF tactics and it was nothing like FF12, leading me to believe that the translation team deserves all the praise.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
made said:
Lockkaliber said:
the first half of FF12 (make this your lowest priority.

Why, what changes in the second half? Writing was amazing throughout. Better than most recent western RPGs in fact.

I tried FF tactics and it was nothing like FF12, leading me to believe that the translation team deserves all the praise.

Which version of tactics did you play? PSX or PSP?

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
The PSX version is renowned for its shitty translation. PSP version fixed it. Matsunos writing is really good, always focusing on political intrigue instead of saving the world nonsense.

Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version)

Why would you want to play FFT on PSP ? It's lagging as hell. Then again, as someone eloquently put, FFT is to Tactics Ogre what The magnificent Seven is to Seven Samurai.

FFXII is alright but you can definetly see where Matsuno's vision was altered by Square's faggotry.This guy needs to go rogue and make his own new IP.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
The translation for the PSX version was done by retarded monkeys. It's atrocious.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Lockkaliber said:
If you liked the story: Play Yasumi Matsuno's other games as well. Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics (PSP version) and the first half of FF12 (make this your lowest priority.

Yes. I played Vagrant Story for an hour or two before giving up on it the first time I played it, but I started playing it again a few days ago and I'm around 11 hours in now. The story is so fucking good, but the game also has excellent pacing. If you aren't in a boss fight within 5-10 minutes after the last one then you are doing something wrong, and the game keeps rewarding you with story segments, none of which feel redundant or boring. Each scene is interesting and serves to make the story that much better. There is no filler in this game. Just pure fun.
Still need to find FFT from somewhere and play that too. I agree with FF12 being a good play as well thanks to the good story, but I just got bored with the shittastic MMO gameplay and gave up halfway through.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom