Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I found mask of the betrayer too boring and complicated with all those crafting shit and hunger status

ArchAngel

Arcane
I just found it irritating at the time. Now I cba to play it again mostly because of stupid camera and engine of NWN2. I never want to touch that shit engine (or NWN1 one) again.

Last edited:
Hunger status was excellent. I wish BG2 had done something similar with the Bhaalspawn taint. Very compelling narratively and interesting mechanically. I will admit that if the player has a caster MC or caster heavy party, your resource management will be stretched. That's a feature though. Narrative and player motives become harmonized. Marvelous.

I never care for crafting in RPGs, but its certainly powerful in MotB. You can ignore it and still do just fine.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hunger status was excellent. I wish BG2 had done something similar with the Bhaalspawn taint. Very compelling narratively and interesting mechanically. I will admit that if the player has a caster MC or caster heavy party, your resource management will be stretched. That's a feature though. Narrative and player motives become harmonized. Marvelous.

I never care for crafting in RPGs, but its certainly powerful in MotB. You can ignore it and still do just fine.
It was not. My LG Monk run was super easy and I never even noticed it existing. My TN sorcerer run was super irritating and it was not designed for such characters. I remember at one point I just gave up trying to roleplay and just did Lawful actions for the mechanic to stop being irritating.

Last edited:

Gargaune

Magister
1) No, MotB is neither boring nor that complicated.
2) Crafting can be largely ignored if you don't care for it.
3) The Hunger mechanic was a great idea with a suboptimal implementation, but not really that difficult in practice.

What I didn't like about Hunger is that it ticked in real time, e.g. even while I was browsing merchants or dicking around in my inventory. I think it would've been better to have it only increment with rest, XP gain and world travel.

It was not. My LG Monk run was super easy and I never even noticed it existing. My TN sorcerer run was super irritating and it was not designed for such characters. I remember at one point I just gave up trying to roleplay and just did Lawful actions to for the mechanic to stop being irritating.

I guess I should have clarified. Playing good and suppressing the hunger makes the game far eaiser and not a problem for any class. All the more if you fully develop the good companions. The first time I played was as an arcane trickster with a Safiya, Gann, and One of Many. I devoured absolutely everything when it got low on health to save on spells. Unintentionally, I drove my hunger through the roof. Even still, I was able to get by just fine, albiet with some pressure. That only occured because I ultimately didn't commit to the path I had carelessly chosen. It gets easier for those who don't merely gaze into the abyss, but leap into it.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
fag-cunt.gif

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Start with an extremely stance. End with an extreme stance. CODEX.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
well, finished it, and with evil ending, devouring that last boss.
now I'm playing mysteries of westgate as gray orc

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I like it! But I agree with the complaints. I completed it years ago but forgot most of it. Playing it again I am surprised at some things. It's pretty hard! I think back then I didn't notice because games were generally harder, but today it's a surprise. Some fights I can remember who to focus and that usually helps. But a lot of battles you can waste a bunch of spells that do no damage because the thing is immune. So I reload most fights at least once. I love high level magic battles and there's not that many games that let you do it, so this is fun to play again.

Camera was a fuck up though. Even now with the extra modes they are still not ideal. The action RPG camera feels ok but it stopped me looking ahead to where I am heading. I prefer the Tactical camera or whatever the other one is. The 3rd option seems goofy. I am basically playing it like an RTS. And there's no select the whole party shortcut key which is infuriating! :argh:But I am getting used to just dragging a box over my blob and off we go. I love SpeedHack for games like this, it's amazing. Anyway my thought was that they probably should have spent the extra time to get camera/controls more comfy like Dragon Age Origins, it would have sold more. This game could and should have done it.

Also the interface in general is not great. (Doesn't scale :cry:) And too many redundant/windows. Like your spellbook is in one window, then the list of spells you can use is in another window and you have to click one set to make it appear in your book. Then you can drag stuff onto your hotkeys if you want too. But I just press F and there's a quick spells thing that pops up. None of it has tooltips unless you right click and then another window pops up. And sometimes it doesn't close if you press escape. :argh: Shit like that. It is typical of that time, but I think this game was guilty of not being the one to make this step. I think as much as it gets h8ted on, Dragon Age Origins was the first time I saw a tactical RPG (ish) that looked like something I could imagine normies playing.

Clicking on each corpse and then having to loot / close, on 20+ corpses after each fight... is just... :argh:

The combat is interesting and kinda fun, but also weird and bad design. It doesn't really suit RTWP... Some things can die in the first second of a fight, so I need to micro manage to make sure it's a bad guy and not my wizard. And micro managing 1 second with pauses is so weird and goofy. It should be turn based like TOEE or changed to suit real time like DAO. This era of RTWP wanted to be both and it's pretty much a shambles. But I still like it, there are a lot of fun spells to play with! The enemies are immune to a lot of stuff which can be frustrating and make you reload if you wasted too much. But the upside is the game forces you to use a lot of different spells. You can't just fireball everything. There are a LOT of buff spells which I love. Most games are stingy with fun combinations, they stop you doing it. But in this game you are free to summon a psycho like Mordenkainan's Sword and then give it Endurance, Strength, Magic Weapon, permanent Haste, Spiderskin, etc. Gamers love doing this and yet you hardly ever can. I wish you could automate it somehow though or have the spells last longer. In some games the hotkeys can run macros, so you could press one button to cast all your buffs. In this game there are about 20 buffs I should cast before every fight. It's a total nuisance. But depth in gaming, you either get it in nuisance form or not at all, so here I am.

p.s. They only made things worse by having lots of fights ambush you mid conversation or something. You can't win! Wtf do they expect? If you cast buffs before every precarious moment you would be resting constantly, and they built the whole spirit eater thing to stop you doing that. And if you go into fights without buffs it's just kind of dumb Benny Hill shambles. Not bad if you play as a tank or something but most fights start with trying to run my delicate mages out of the angry mob. It even teleports your characters to put them where they expected it to be for the start of a fight.. All quite unsophisticated. Overall I enjoy it but I think KOTC2 kinda makes this game obsolete for me.

The writing seems better than usual, but there's too much of it. And it doesn't let you skip anything, it demands we participate. I get into long conversations where I have to press 1 fifteen times until we can move on. And sometimes they try to trick us 1 masher types by putting a bad comment in there which screws up my relations. :argh: Also you can't mash 1 because there's cutscene with every response so you have to mash 1 then left mouse, then 1, then left mouse, in a kind of bass drum, snare drum pattern. And as if it wasn't annoying enough, all your buffs are slowly fading during this time. :argh: They like ambushing you in conversations too, and every time you turn a corner or open a door or do anything.

Last edited:

Deathhappens

Literate
1) No, MotB is neither boring nor that complicated.
2) Crafting can be largely ignored if you don't care for it.
3) The Hunger mechanic was a great idea with a suboptimal implementation, but not really that difficult in practice.

What I didn't like about Hunger is that it ticked in real time, e.g. even while I was browsing merchants or dicking around in my inventory. I think it would've been better to have it only increment with rest, XP gain and world travel.
This, pretty much. Hunger ticking in real time was poor implementation, but there were always ways to set it back.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The Lich King fight omg! You go into a creepy room with undead.
Some Death Lord douches attack you and two Vampire Ancients. The Ancients seemed stronger so I tried to kill them first. But they are insanely tanky!! And there was stuff spawning all around so I died soon after. Second attempt I killed the weaker ones first then focused the Ancients last, and just as I was about to die again, I saw the Lich King at the back of the room. He is invisible and just stays back and summons stuff. So third attempt I figured I would rush him. But I got blocked on the staircase and I couldn't even see him at the back of the room. So I decided to stop holding back and just unload all my strongest spells on the douches to see if I can clear the way to the King. It was an epic battle and I killed both Vampire Ancients and the Death Lords. Then just as I was about to charge for the Lich King, he casts a huge spell that flies across the room and hits everyone in my group for 33 fire, 33 acid, 33 frost, 33 sonic, and maybe some others. One shotted everyone except the tank.

It is harsh but good challenging battles like this are fun and rare. :bounce:

(Got him in 2 more attempts. Nice chunk of xp)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom