Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I have no taste

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
It's hard to know where to begin to describe the surreal beauty of this game. Any random frame taken at any point is essentially frameable artwork. I have never seen a game of this graphic beauty before or anything remotely like it.

I realized last night where I had seen this in another medium before ... Fallout 3's entire theme is essentially early Basil Wolverton, one of the creepiest horror comic artists who has ever lived. I had this revelation as I VATed to a frame of a wild monster leaping over the wreck of a car engine away from my frag grenade detonation. It could have been the cover of any of the great horror comics during the golden age in the 50s and 60s.

I believe Fallout 3 is easily one of the top ten greatest games of all time, it may even fit on the top three. It is the most excellent blending of an RPG into an FPS environment the world has ever known.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
It's hard to know where to begin to describe the surreal beauty of this game. Any random frame taken at any point is essentially frameable artwork. I have never seen a game of this graphic beauty before or anything remotely like it.

I realized last night where I had seen this in another medium before ... Fallout 3's entire theme is essentially early Basil Wolverton, one of the creepiest horror comic artists who has ever lived. I had this revelation as I VATed to a frame of a wild monster leaping over the wreck of a car engine away from my frag grenade detonation. It could have been the cover of any of the great horror comics during the golden age in the 50s and 60s.

I believe Fallout 3 is easily one of the top ten greatest games of all time, it may even fit on the top three. It is the most excellent blending of an RPG into an FPS environment the world has ever known.

So you thought you'll create new thread about FO3? WELL, FUCK YOU. I don't care if you like this game or not, but it fucking annoys me people are creating so many FO3 threads.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
A lot of what makes fallout 3 stand out as a good game is because of the art department. From the first time I excited the vault and saw the debris of Washington to encountering my first grizzly mutant bear (or whatever it's called) I've been consistently been blown away with how great everything looks.

Untill it starts to move that is, whomever did the animation deserves to be fired. I feel like I'm watching 'the thunderbirds' whenever someone walks by.

Hory

Erudite
Cleveland Mark Blakemore said:
What's your opinion of Vampire Bloodlines?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Trash said:
Untill it starts to move that is, whomever did the animation deserves to be fired. I feel like I'm watching 'the thunderbirds' whenever someone walks by.

It's typical. While Bethesda actually improved in game and art design, their animations still suck. They always sucked, and they probably will always suck. Heck, even the mainstream media criticized their animations. They still didn't do anything about it.

Worm King

Scholar
I can't care much about the art when there's only one real town with 90% quests consisting of dungeon crawling. All those unique locations were nothing more than a place with stuff to kill.

There was too much of trivial combat. A level 1 character is able to handle a group of raiders with a pistol. Mutants, even with miniguns, are of no consequence.

Also, notice how in other RPGs everything everyone says is always tied to quests in some way. Somehow Bethesda had a problem with this and every other character spews something completely irrelevant at you. It doesn't even have a connection to the setting, just random babble.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Weren't you and sheek earlier trying to defend FO3 by saying "Atleast it's a RPG"? I believe sheek said, "I'd rather play it than non-RPGs like STALKER and Deus Ex" and you said, "Finally, someone who makes sense."

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Cleve, you have more or less admitted that you haven't played a game released between 1999 and 2007. Now you're playing F3 because of its name and are impressed by its graphics. Why don't you play Bloodlines, Arcanum, ToEE, Torment, BG series, IWD series, The Witcher, Morrowind, Deus Ex, Gothic1,2, and come back to us about F3? (Especially the first four)

Top ten greatest games? Coming from a Sir-Tech developer, maker of Grimoire, and c64 programmer? You're not bored yet by VATS mode, retarded dialogue, stupid story, shallow gameplay?

Twinfalls

Erudite
poster21543785on2.jpg

nomask7

Arcane
asper said:
You're not bored yet by VATS mode, retarded dialogue, stupid story, shallow gameplay?
More likely learned to overlook them. Imagine you had to live in a jungle as part of a gorilla troop for the rest of your life. You would learn to overlook things.

Imbecile

Arbiter

Lord Chambers

Erudite
I always hate the starter of threads like this, which have no actual merit but are just ego-centric attention trips ad nauseum, but today I realized the reason this "trolling" is effective is because NO ONE IGNORES IT. So now I hate everyone, too.

Rhalle

Magister
Trash said:
A lot of what makes fallout 3 stand out as a good game is because of the art department.

Fallout 3 is a triumph of art direction and marketing.

And that's it.

Worm King said:
Also, notice how in other RPGs everything everyone says is always tied to quests in some way. Somehow Bethesda had a problem with this and every other character spews something completely irrelevant at you. It doesn't even have a connection to the setting, just random babble.

I don't mind 'mudcrab by the water' flavor dialogue, but FO3 does have filler NPCs that do nothing except suggest themes and content that never materialize as actual game, like the cult in Megaton. That stuff is inexcusable.

nomask7

Arcane
Cleve is real, therefore life is tragic, since Cleve must die.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom