Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I really like this place a lot

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Only reason?

Not only was the gameplay massively dumbed down, the game was a technical mess.

Tiny xbox scaled maps, loading screens everytime you took 2 steps and the god awful low res textures (even for 2003).

Human Revolution is just as dumbed down and RPG Codex has it listed as the #78 top PC RPG of all time. You're exaggerating the technical issues bigly and even if the graphics weren't the best for the time they're still miles ahead of the first game which also wasn't a technical marvel for it's time.

Welcome to my iggy bin, idiot.

Why would I care about being blocked by some dumb cunt on the internet who blocks people for liking different games than them? Are you announcing this for your beta orbiters or something?

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're exaggerating the technical issues bigly and even if the graphics weren't the best for the time they're still miles ahead of the first game which also wasn't a technical marvel for it's time.

The first game had blocky models, but good art direction. It also didn't have tiny maps and terrible gameplay designed around console plebs.

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I love this place and I wonder why I put off joining for so long. So many happy people and smiling faces sharing in joyous fellowship their love for RPGs. I don't think I've met friendlier folks who share such a passion for Role Playing Games anywhere else on the internet.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
You're exaggerating the technical issues bigly and even if the graphics weren't the best for the time they're still miles ahead of the first game which also wasn't a technical marvel for it's time.

The first game had blocky models, but good art direction. It also didn't have tiny maps and terrible gameplay designed around console plebs.

I don't see what's so terrible with the gameplay. The two biggest differences were the ammo thing and the lack of skills. Neither of the two newer games have a skill system like that and no one complains about it. They also have a bad case of consolitis but they don't get the same amount of hate. Aside from that I don't really base the amount of fun I have on how big the maps in a game are.

I'm not saying the second game is objectively the best. It's just the one that I liked enough to replay the most times. I've tried replaying the original recently and I just can't get through it. Not even with the Revision mod. I probably wouldn't want to replay Invisible War in 2020 either, but it held up for a longer time than the original did for me. I didn't even like Human Revolution or Mankind Divided enough to make it to the end and I've tried more than once over the years.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
4) ELEX was awesome, but the combat could have been better. Risen has the best combat of any PB game. I also wish the faction choices had been a bit more balanced.

[Alienman liked that]

Risen 1 had such good combat, and one of the reason for it was that you didn't actually get teleported around during attacks. Piranha remove that from ELEX 2, please...

And welcome (if you truly are a newbro :cool:)

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Top 3 jrpgs_?

Final Fantasy VII, Crisis Core, and Persona 5.

I feel lame putting Persona on the list over SMT, but the last SMT I enjoyed was Nocturne and P5 had a story that really hit home for me on a personal level. They did an amazing job with stylizing the hell out of everything in P5 too.

FF7 is kind of king of a pile of shit, but I loved the story as a kid and it stuck with me. Crisis Core got me more emotionally involved than any other game ever has and Zack Fair is probably my favorite JRPG character of all time. Great personality.

Best PB combat up to date.
And second best after Dark Souls probably.

I'd put Mount and Blade above Dark Souls personally. DS has great combat but it feels a little slugglish sometimes and demands that you fully commit to attacks without much in the way of cancels.

Last edited:

overly excitable young man

Right. Mount and Blade.
Forgot that. Also had really great combat.

Farewell into the night

Have you guys ever played Severance: Blade of Darkness? It had nice combat way before MB and DS were created.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom