Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I think it's sad

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Really. I just reinstalled Total Annihilation with Core Contingency and grabbed the "Absolute Annihilation" mod and the experience is better than most RTS's to date. The graphics are nowhere up to par, but jeez, the game's got physics, a terrific GUI that works better than the latest RTS: Battle for Middle Earth which features a clunky-as-hell interface. Best of all, it's got tons of strategy.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Oh yeah, if anyone else is playing it I was wondering if you had any good mod suggestions.

Quigs

Magister
Started playing brood war myself again recently. Playing against 7 comps in a FFA is always fun.

Never understood how and why there was a team FFA though...

Surlent

Liturgist
Is total annihilation better than Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War ?

Blizzard is bound to make Starcraft2 some day, so at least there's hope for future.
Except most of the talents have left the company. :roll:

Digit

Liturgist
OMG! Total Annihilation is just legendary. I played that game for sooooo long. I had a group of friends of we were all of equal skill, my god, some of the battles we had in that game were just epic.

Yeah SCraft and BW were both excellent. Wow, how fucking difficult was that last level of BW? :o

Digit

Ortchel

Liturgist
There are way too many units in Total Annihilation, you just can't have a balanced game with such a huge quantity.

Which is why WC2 will always be king: balance.

almondblight

Arcane
Starcraft was balanced with 3 different sides. I've yet to find an RTS that beats it (unless you consider Myth an RTS). I haven't tried Warhammer yet, though.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Warhammer is incredibly imbalanced with the amount of firepower that the Space Marines have with the Dreadnaught. Nothing in the game beats it.

Read the Avault.com review for details.

Fez

Erudite
Exitium is right on that one, DoW is seriously imbalanced, you can notice it even on the skirmishes with the AI and on multiplayer it becomes chronic.

xemous

Arcane
DOW has shit multiplayer.
SCBW is and always will be the number one RTS.
TA is also good, is cavedogs multiplayer system still up? I should install it and give it a go. Anyone up for a game of either?

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Dammit. I've tried to reinstall RA2 and Yuri's Revenge, and while RA2 runs fine, Yuri's Revenge crashes upon start up. Gives me a black screen, some error, and then CTD's in the span of 1-2 seconds.

Chalk it up to another XP SP2 incompatibility. It ran fine before I upgraded.

Flink

Liturgist
TA is awesome. But I think SC has it beat. Both games beat the crap out of pretty much all other RTS's though, I agree with you there.

Especially the Age of Empires series. The most over rated RTS series to date in my opinion.

TA Kingdoms blows though, oddly enough.

Jinxed

Liturgist
The best RTS IMO is Dune 2.

Not only is it the mother of all RTS games, but it was almost a bullseye. Coming short with only some balance problems.

Warcraft 2 was great, but I still preferred part 1 when it came out it was the second RTS game I ever played. I don't know if anything actually came out between Dune 2 and WC 1.

Emperor: Battle For Dune has much better graphics than Generals.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Jinxed said:
Emperor: Battle For Dune has much better graphics than Generals.

I agree. Alot more spit and polish went into the design of that game. Plus, while not as good as Dune 2, it's still a fun game. Definitely one of my more favorite RTS', just not my favorite of all time.

Flink

Liturgist
The mission briefing tracks for both human and orc are the best ones. Also, the orcish victory track. :oops:

kumquatq3

Liturgist
Hey, I still play Herzog Zwei with my buddies now and then. Great one on one game.

Top 5:

1. Starcraft + Brood Wars
2. Red Alert + I think it had an expansion iirc
3. Warcraft 2 + Dark Portal
4. Herzog Zwei
5. Red Alert 2 + Expansion

WC3 sucks

Spazmo

Erudite
Red Alert had a couple official expansions (Aftermath was the second one, can't remember the first) and a buttload of unofficial 'mission packs' and whatnot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom