Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I Was More Than a Fan: Sol Invictus tells all

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://hellmode.com/2010/06/21/the-grea ... ate-london

I was more than a fan. I also happened to work for the publisher.

We stayed at the Marriott in SOMA, close to Flagship’s offices which was across the San Francisco Giants ballpark. Having gotten our room keys and completed our impromptu meet and greet session at the hotel’s lobby, the first thing we did was to play a game of Munchkin to settle in as we talked about Hellgate: London. ... we were excited to see the actual game and experience it for ourselves.

Luckily, time flew by and we were called down by an EA representative to meet some of the game’s designers. We walked to a nearby restaurant, the Thirsty Bear, we were treated to an awesome dinner with almost unlimited servings of every Spanish dish the place had to offer. We satisfied ourselves with wine, beer, and other beverages as the dishes kept flowing in.

The game suffered from a whole slew of problems. Beyond the multiplayer and social issues, and the billing issues that would crop up after the game’s release, much of Hellgate’s problems rested within the core gameplay mechanics.

Interviewed on camera by one of Flagship’s community managers, I called the event “one of my most awesome experiences” and threw in an empathic “Hell yeah!”
The game was shit but the dinner was awesome. Hell yeah!

back to sportforredneck said:
Did he ever say how he "worked" for the publisher? Besides whoring himself out?

I don't recall him ever admitting this. But just about everyone that starts those new style "fan" pages usually do, to some extent or another.

Look at Briosafreak as an example.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Ian was more than a fan...
They would have listened to him...
But he was oppressed...
By the Man.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
meh, the hype got me bad back then... it could have been such an awesome game...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Let’s say you choose to save her. After making your way to the bandit camp after a several mile long journey through the dead lands, the game offers you even more choices, this time strategic ones. You may approach the raiders boldly in broad daylight or choose a stealthier approach, slinking in the shadows after nightfall when the sentries are fast asleep.
Approaching the camp during the day yields the choice to converse with the leader of the Khans. This conversation can lead to several possible immediate outcomes. If your Speech skill is high enough, you can either intimidate (through Strength) or persuade (through Charisma) the Khan to release Tandi under your charge. Lacking these skills, you can choose to bribe the Khan with some bottlecaps, knowing you are outmatched, outgunned and that you’ll likely receive compensation for it from Tandi’s father.

Armed with your companions Ian and Dogmeat by your side, you can kill him in broad daylight and offer the rest of the Khans a similar fate as you fight your way through the camp to rescue Tandi. Through force, you can raid their safes and loot their corpses as you emancipate Aradesh’s lost daughter.

The other option is to proceed alone through the camp at night, and open the cell in which Tandi is kept, freeing her. Escaping the notice of the sleeping Khans, you can make it back to Shady Sands under the cover of darkness without spilling a single drop of blood. A more brutal approach would have you murdering each and every one of them in their sleep, slashing their throats as they remain blissfully unaware to your presence as the grim reaper. An even crueler option would be to plant cooked grenades on their sleeping bodies, timed perfectly with your escape for an explosive and gory mix.
Did he play some special copy of Fallout or something?

Drakron

Arcane
This is just priceless ...

CAZ says:
June 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

So they wined and dined you, then gave you a new computer and you felt bad about criticizing them so you didn’t say anything. This is why no one takes video game reviewers seriously and why real journalists and critics don’t accept gifts.
Sol Invictus says:
June 21, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Yes… except I wasn’t a game journalist. I was a fansite administrator.
DerDer says:
June 21, 2010 at 8:48 pm

Sol Invictus – 1
Random troll – 0

No dipshit, it means CAZ is right you dumbfuck illiterate, even Sol Invictus admits its, you can bet EA did not take him out for dinner because they wanted to be friends with him.

Kos_Koa

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
I like how wide eyed he was about the whole experience, and also how intent he was not to hurt the developers feelings.

Sol Invictus said:
But I remained silent; I felt as if speaking negatively of this game would be a betrayal to the friendly studios I just visited and my recent drinking buddies. So I kept quiet, and continued on with my experience.
Truly a man of great conviction.

I knew a few people at Flagship, and from what anyone would have guessed, the project was incredibly mismanaged. It's never a good sign when developers are getting their resume and portfolio together prior to releasing their game.

So why is he writing this article now? It's been almost 3 years since its release. Did his bleeding edge CPU stop working?

Multi-headed Cow

Kos_Koa said:
I like how wide eyed he was about the whole experience, and also how intent he was not to hurt the developers feelings.

Sol Invictus said:
But I remained silent; I felt as if speaking negatively of this game would be a betrayal to the friendly studios I just visited and my recent drinking buddies. So I kept quiet, and continued on with my experience.

I knew a few people at Flagship, and from what anyone would have guessed, the project was incredibly mismanaged. It's never a good sign when developers are getting their resume and portfolio together prior to releasing their game.

So why is he writing this article now? It's been almost 3 years since its release. Did his bleeding edge CPU stop working?

He's probably hoping to cash in on some Game Journalist Kool Kredits by talking about how he was/is a whore but HE'S TOTALLY OVER IT NOW GUYS. FOR REAL. YOU CAN TRUST ME BECAUSE I BLEW THE WHISTLE ON MY SHENANIGANS YEARS AFTER THE FACT AND AFTER THE COMPANY FELL APART.

piydek

Cipher
Kos_Koa said:

Sol Invictus said:

Yeah, this quote is really good. I don't know how he isn't embarrassed to write something like that. Not because the kool kodex will not like it, but because it's so fucking naive. Just how inexperienced and dumb do you have to be not to understand these mechanics. He ate absolutely all the shit they gave him and felt/reacted exactly the way those mechanics are supposed to make you feel/react. It's not even necessarily whoring out, i see it primarily as naive. "friendly studios", "drinking buddies" - that's fucking braindead.

Expensive hotel, suits, restaurant, dishes and drinks, a bit of "friendly" attitude and it's enough to consider somebody as friendly? That's a "silent pact", but when people do it knowing what they're doing, they usually come to an agreement where good wine keeps flowing and isn't a one-off thing.

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
So, if we have another donation drive, take the guy out for tapas, he can be our shill for a bit?

Think of what we could achieve with the great powers of Rex once again behind us.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
This makes me laugh even more at the FAQ section.

older thread said:
The FAQ also has interesting tidbits:

Swag, review copies, free trips: where can I send ‘em?

We like free stuff. In the past, while working on other sites, we’ve had some amazing opportunities–like an all expenses paid trip to San Francisco to check out EA Redwood’s studios. You don’t necessarily have to fly us anywhere for it to be welcomed, though. We’ll settle for review copies, beta codes, and generic swag if you’re so inclined.

Damn, that's subtle.

That’s our disclaimer, by the way; while we love free stuff, we won’t sell out.

Oh, well that's alright then. I was worried there for a second.

Angthoron

Arcane
Lulz aside though, if you're a game reviewer that's faced with such an offer, what's a good thing to do? Take the offer, then write an honest review anyway? Take the bribe and lie/be silent? Avoid the bribe and know that from that day onwards you and your company will not be quite as favoured by the publisher anymore (and you'll lose readers without access to beta codes and crap)? What's an actually good move on the overall?

I suppose best would be to start out with the principle of "we don't take swag - give us a review copy/beta code if you want a review and nothing else", so everyone knows that if they give you a bunch of presents and show you shit you'll still write that shit was shown.

Arem

Scholar
And our gaming journalist was recently whining about consoles that Microsoft gave away for free at E3.

...ought to be given to Child's Play or a similar charity. I can't imagine that most of the journalists present at the Microsoft event are bereft of 360s of their own, either at home or at work. The gesture would even make the gaming industry look good in the eyes of the general public, if altruism is an issue.
Who cares? Lots of people, I'd imagine.

As game journalists, we're in a position of some privilege that is otherwise unavailable to kids in need of comfort, if not health. We're in a position to do improve the lives of others, and selfishly keeping a gift that we shouldn't have received, much less accepted, in the first place seems awfully selfish as I'm sure many would agree.

With this act, at least some genuine good can come out of all the money Microsoft spent on marketing their products.
So what if it is how the world works?

We live in a world where the misogynistic treatment of women is the norm in many places, including the developed world, and where homophobia is acceptable.

That doesn't mean we can't try to make a difference, however small.

Achilles

Arcane
Well isn't that altruistic of him. MS should have probably given him one too.

Angthoron

Arcane
...Because the thing that sick children need most is an X360. Yeah.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom