Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

I went insane and am thinking

.Sigurd

Educated
SCO said:
After much frustration i got it working.

I was wondering if there is any ingame searchable map. I know about the google maps thing, but i would like my immershun untouched.
complete-morrowind-map.jpg

Exmit

Scholar
Topic of the thread does not compute

You went insane and started thinking

OR

You went insane because you were thinking

?

denizsi

Arcane
Sane modders need to get their shit together and make a mod site where mod submissions are reviewed before being published or get flagged as shit / not-shit so you don't have to browse through 10000000000 shit mods to find maybe 20 that are worth seeing.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Work ok in wine, except for one crucial detail.
MWSE or MGE don't work (they appear to, but don't), probably since the dll adresses are different on wine.

:mob:

DraQ

Arcane
SCO said:
of replaying morrowind.

I want to have the best experience i can. And best in my mind equates to "streamlined". Meaning i don't want to install 3000 mods if i can help it. Is there already a integrated unofficial patch?

Something that joins all the script/exe essential alterations + mods that combat the terminal boredom that npc's in the game are in a non-molesting way to the lore?
(mods like this LGNPC i read about).

I'm quite a bit of a purist, when it comes to modding, I also don't use some otherwise desirable mods due to conflicts, need to convert them and desire to save as much of the in-game text as possible from becoming a random jumble of Polish and English, so I don't use MCA (has tendency to mess shit up), Galsiah's (minor conflicts combined with me not being sufficiently dissatisfied with vanilla leveling) or LGNPC (lots of English dialogue), and can't really comment on them.

I recommend official patches, MCP, Wakim's Game Improvements Modular (tweaks and rebalancing, including previously useless spell effects), MWSE (useful for some additional mods), Adul's Advanced Combat (small modular mod making combat much more lethal without changing the mechanics too much). I also have some minor tweaks and other mods, but can't be arsed to check. In any case, stay the fuck away from texture replacers and other beautifications, with possible exception of BB and LizTail's Better Beast Bodies to exchange some seams for extra polys. I wouldn't even bother with Better Heads or any other face replacers, as they don't maintain the look and feel of originals.

As for the gameplay, avoid cheese like exploiting faulty AI, alchemical imba or easter egg merchants, avoid too much training and concentrate on playing rather than all forms grind.

I'd recommend playing as mage or other dedicated spellcaster (meaning you don't train weapon skills and only use them as last resort) for the most interesting playthrough. Mages can be incredibly powerful, but it takes a lot of custom and non-obvious spellcraft to properly exploit extremely limited mana pool (mana boosting sign necessary, especially if you don't want to be an Altmer or Breton) - mundane fireball spam will simply get you killed.

Avoid all meta-knowledge like online maps and guides, MW is a game of exploration.

In any case, even if you don't want to play caster, experiment - everyone on the net will tell you that weapon enchanted with absorb health is obscenely powerful, but almost nobody will mention, that if you enchant a heavy weapon with drain agility, you will be able to hammer even much stronger enemies into the ground with relative impunity.

I was wondering if there is any ingame searchable map. I know about the google maps thing, but i would like my immershun untouched.
Go play Oblivion. It has this quest compass and all.

Online map is meta, and fucks up the exploration.
Paper map, in-game map and directions are more than enough.

Zeit said:
Only homosexuals play Morrowind ass fuck. Are you an ass fucker ass fuck? Thought so. Try playing with yourself.
The Codex has grown itself a zit, I see.
How interesting.
In hindsight I should have became a dermatologist for this occasion alone.
:roll:
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Jaesun said:
Morrowind still today remains another one of the games I will never finish. The whole LOL YOU ARE THE NAZARINE thing made me facepalm and nothing will ever convince me to ever finish it.

You're not.
Or are you?

You don't even get to know, the whole prophecy thing could very well be orchestrated by someone* who has all the necessary ability and motivation, plus there are hints pointing towards you being a pawn of at least two different parties. This is not fucking BG, FFS.

Also, didn't fucking Arcanum pretty much started with LOL U R NASRUDIN?

*)
Azura, wanting her comeback.

hoochimama

Liturgist
Chances are you will spend more time installing mods than you will replaying the game.

HEY DRAQ

Give me your opinion on Morrowind Advanced, and other difficulty enhancing mods. Reaching mid-to-endgame as an unkillable beast is what makes me usually give up on games, and apparently this happens with MW.

If you suggest just pumping up the difficulty as you go along, that's fine too.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Your best bet after level 20-30 is just going with high-level quest mods, the main game isn't really challenging past that point no matter what mods you're using. There are enough great quest mods out there that that shouldn't be a problem.

That said, Creatures, Morrowind Comes Alive and Galsiah's Character development are probably your safest bet for a "pure" experience.

I used to make huge posts on this shit as well, but I'm really tired. Leave me alone.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Serious_Business said:
Somebody shoot me the fuck down.

I yelled for years that Morrowind was a piece of shit. Let me make that very clear. In every Morrowind thread, I insulted everyone systematically.

Now I just re-tried it after about 7 years. And I enjoy it.

I am a piece of shit class traitor. A faggot of the worst kind. Subhuman. And so on.

I RUN AROUND LOOKING AT SWEET SCENERY OMG WTF IS GOING ON

Of course I have gameplay mods and such. It needs to be rebalanced so that the progression is harder and more rewarding. With some careful tweaks, it pretty much plays like Gothic, which is cool. Exploration is risky, loot is scarce, dungeons can be scary, first person stealth mechanics, faction conflits... etc. I'm not sure how the game will hold up when I reach the upper tiers though.

I used this list, at any rate :
http://www.mwmythicmods.com/telesphoros.htm#8

YOU VIOLATED THE LAW PAY 100 GOLD OR GO TO PRISON THIS MAKES SENSE

Don't worry, you're not the only one. With balancing mods, and a bit of eye candy(what the hell, if I'm finally going to play it, it may as well look ok), I too think of it as a poor man's Gothic.

DraQ said:
hoochimama said:
Chances are you will spend more time installing mods than you will replaying the game.
That's yet another reason for me being such a purist. :smug:

Have to agree with you DraQ. I spend so long installing 20 or so mods, looking for others etc. for the 'optimal' experience that when it came to playing, I didn't have the energy for a long while!

Ruprekt

Scholar
Once you've won the game (completed the main quest+tribunal) I'd just leave it at that.

The game does have a lot of replay value which isn't going to be helped by 'walking the earth' as a super power badass clearing up every tiny quest and cleaning out every dungeon.

Havoc

Cheerful Magician
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Fuck... now I want to play some Morrowind. :(

I need a good graphics pack... anybody?

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Yeah, I use the Visual Pack. It sticks pretty close to the original visuals for the most part; the only area that takes considerable liberties, the Telvanni textures, are included as an optional side folder for that very reason.

DraQ

Arcane
Clockwork Knight said:
HEY DRAQ

Give me your opinion on Morrowind Advanced, and other difficulty enhancing mods. Reaching mid-to-endgame as an unkillable beast is what makes me usually give up on games, and apparently this happens with MW.

If you suggest just pumping up the difficulty as you go along, that's fine too.
I have no experience with Morrowind Advanced, as I was unable to get it to run with my version back when I was interested.

First, the difficulty in Morrowind should be stuck firmly on max, right from the moment you limp off the boat on those usage deprived legs of yours.

Second, I'm using Adul's Advanced combat which is tiny modular mod introducing several minor changes to gameplay. I don't use the "paths" component, and barely use stances from main part of the mod, so I can't opine, but the other changes are as follow:

1. Crits - your skill with given weapon type influences your chance of inflicting a critical hit. It is realised by randomly pinging up your strength, the frequency of which depends on your skill with given weapon type. If you hit something at that precise moment, you deal massive damage. The enemies can crit you too, I once got almost one hitted by a kwama Forager right after the end of MQ (don't ask me how, as AFAIK critters have no skill stats) and archers of all kinds become fucking deadly. It doesn't really reduce player's power, but it certainly does shave off much of the HURR DURR IVE GOT LOTS OF HAELHT!1 factor. As an added bonus, it allows you to crawl a bit when overencumbered (thanks to STR spikes), which is too slow to be used for actual locomotion, but handy when you need to loot that one more corpse before teleporting.

2. [optional] Bleeding - you get hit for more than your END, you start bleeding, till you heal yourself, bandage your wounds using piece of cloth or die.

3. [optional] Performance degradation - if your health drops too low, you start feeling it - your physical attributes degrade and vision goes dim.

The mod will work better with MCP, as strength spikes and performance degradation could cause nasty side effect in vanilla when combined with other mods and attribute fortification (I once had my strength zeroed with Galsiah's, as the latter went bathsit insane over a strength spike that occured when I tried to LU).

POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Creatures
Doesn't Creatures introduce some randumb, Lore-incorrect shit?

I haven't played it, but dimly recall something like that about it.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Nothing too glaring - it actually adds a few creatures that the lore says should be in but aren't, such as Ash Poets, Land Dreugh and Kriin. Full list is on the site. The bloodwing is a bit stupid, and the Daedric bat kind of fits but looks stupid anyway, but the high quality of the rest of the pack more than make up for them; it's not hard to delete one or two creatures manually if they really annoy you.

Ruprekt

Scholar
I don't think that's creatures. Morrowind advanced is the one that adds dragons and whatever; maybe someone played with both and blamed the wrong mod?

All creatures does is add some new monster types to the higher end of the levelled lists. Some of them might not be prefigured exactly in lore but none of them are egregiously out of place.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
SCO said:
Work ok in wine, except for one crucial detail.
MWSE or MGE don't work (they appear to, but don't), probably since the dll adresses are different on wine.

:mob:
Do you know about Winetricks? I remember using them to run KotC, due to a dll problem.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think that the problem is deeper. It doesn't have to do with the dll itself, other wise i would copy kernel32 or whatever with great velocity to the morrowind dir. The problem is that the DLL loader of wine sets things at different addresses than windows, that always sets it at the same place for compatibility reasons. One of the reasons linux is more virus resistant is this, it is harder to attach a dll to a running process, or to a virus to rely on fixed dll offsets to trigger a overflow. However even turning this protection off doesn't work. I just reported the problem on MWSE, but you can see a bug i think is equivalent with Oblivion script extender here:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... ngId=21427
(follow the link to the bug report after the description if you want to be immersed in geekery)

Timeslip if you ever read this, could you make a version of MGE that is static and not dynamic to the process (also for MWSE scripting)? I haven't been able to load the game with MGE (MGEgui.exe loads up with winetricks d3dx9, dotnet20 and directx9) even if at first it looks like it uses static dll injection.

DraQ

Arcane
POOPOO MCBUMFACE said:
Nothing too glaring - it actually adds a few creatures that the lore says should be in but aren't, such as Ash Poets, Land Dreugh and Kriin. Full list is on the site. The bloodwing is a bit stupid, and the Daedric bat kind of fits but looks stupid anyway, but the high quality of the rest of the pack more than make up for them; it's not hard to delete one or two creatures manually if they really annoy you.
Ok, most are kosher, but the aforementioned examples suck badly, and most "new" versions of old enemies (like zomg flesh dremora), don't fucking fit and remind me, in a bad way, of palette swapped monsters in Diablo (except in Diablo it was kind of cool).

If they want different ranks of Dremora, for example, they should draw inspiration from Battlespire, like bethsoft did in oblivious.

Also cheesy retextures are cheesy - woodsprite :rage: .

I don't mind blazing scamp, but they could just tatoo/skinpaint or otherwise adorn it with some mystic symbols (preferably daedric), rather than just make it reddish.

Kriin, though, are awesome enough, to almost make me download.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom