Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition announced, to be released within a month

Cross-platform multiplayer, eh? That's quite a thing but I don't see many people benefiting from that.

purpleblob

Savant
Who the hell would want this???
People that played BG:EE for the story, heard about Icewind Dale and totally expect it to be like BG, I guess...
The Beamdogs could really cash in on this, if they add BG-like campanions. With banters and romances and all that stuff that the bioware fanboys love so much.

There is already mod for IWD that adds 5 BG like companions, why the hell would anyone want Beamdog's version of IWD when they have already displayed their incompetency with BG EEs? From their promotion, it seems like they don't even know IWD is more dungeon crawler type game.

Get the fuck off my beloved IE games, fucking Beamdog!!!

SwiftCrack

Arcane
You have to be kidding me, they are allowed to restore cut content in IWD now?

I hope they can retroactively do this to Baldur's Gate too then.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Oh god don't make me work on an original Infinity Engine game, if I ever see anyone suggesting that again I will send them a strongly worded letter about how awful the IE is to work in. STRONGLY WORDED.

So even though you guys have cleaned up the back-end it'd still be a bit of a pain for you to make an original IE game?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Oh god don't make me work on an original Infinity Engine game, if I ever see anyone suggesting that again I will send them a strongly worded letter about how awful the IE is to work in. STRONGLY WORDED.

^^Codex, meet Liam Esler, one-time developer on Pillars of Eternity and current Beamdog employee.

(I have no idea what he's talking about here.)

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I believe Liam was responding to an earlier post of mine. I remember reading a "What would you like to see next" thread on their forums, and one or two of their team members chimed in with 'an all original game', as well as many other people saying a new IE game.

I thought that Beamdog had made changes to the IE to make it easier to work with, but it sounds like, regardless of any changes made, the IE is inherently difficult to work with...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I don't think anybody's going to make a new game with a 15+ year old engine. Heck, they're more likely to license Obsidian's "Eternity engine", much like inXile has already done.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
wat?

I thought they were only sharing tools?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/inxile/torment-tides-of-numenera/posts/731869
I’m happy to say that we’ve taken things a step further and recently reached an agreement to license Obsidian’s technology for Pillars of Eternity to use in Torment. (In case you haven’t seen it yet, a great Pillars of Eternity teaser came out last month – they are still accepting late pledges for any who missed their Kickstarter.) Torment’s code base will thus include the most relevant components of PE’s technology and Wasteland 2’s. We’re making enhancements to best suit Torment, and some systems will of course be completely new as Torment’s design is its own.

What are the practical implications of our licensing PE technology? It provides us with a stronger starting point for certain game systems and pipelines, including the creation of the 2D pre-rendered environments (we’re working on having something to show you in the coming weeks).

Waterd

Augur
People complaining about the story mode are funny, like if icewind dale had any challenge at all before.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
The new Beamdog logo:
13099_logo.jpg

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
People complaining about the story mode are funny, like if icewind dale had any challenge at all before.
As far as I can tell that's precisely why they ridicule it. If you're talking about the people in this thread that is.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It does if you are bad at games. All those people who were wiped out by the goblins outside of Easthaven. Those who were brickwalled by Burial Isle.

Waterd

Augur
The point is that I find the story mode ideal of what these games try to accomplish, Infinity games do not try to be challenge, try to be software like choose your own adventure. So I think for that goal a story mode difficulty is exactly what the game needs.I would love for these games to have a challenge mode for those that look for difficulty though, though that would require a lot of work.
But most difficulties in inifnity games are straight up in the middle. they are like hard enough that you have actually micromanage, but not hard enough that basic micromanagment won´t get you through.
I think difficulties should be more clear, A mode where you don´t have to do anything, and a mode where you actually have to make difficulty decisions.
So what im saying, is a right decision to add this story mode difficulty.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
The point is that I find the story mode ideal of what these games try to accomplish, Infinity games do not try to be challenge, try to be software like choose your own adventure. So I think for that goal a story mode difficulty is exactly what the game needs.I would love for these games to have a challenge mode for those that look for difficulty though, though that would require a lot of work.
But most difficulties in inifnity games are straight up in the middle. they are like hard enough that you have actually micromanage, but not hard enough that basic micromanagment won´t get you through.
I think difficulties should be more clear, A mode where you don´t have to do anything, and a mode where you actually have to make difficulty decisions.
So what im saying, is a right decision to add this story mode difficulty.

Say, batman, did you play it on HoF?

Waterd

Augur
Honestly I can name hard games, Hard computer RPGS...is harder to find. Board RPG games like Mansion of madness are way harder than any CRPG out there.
Knights of the chalice I think tried to be hard, it failed because two things. A) Infinite campfire B) Super overpowered crafting. Limit campfire to one use and don´t craft (the designer recognized the mistake and just won´t have craft on the sequel, sadly it seems he will keep using infinite campfire, not sure)
Now is true that anygame you can redesign and play to your style and make it hard. The problem is that you have to either create rules that deviate from the intent of the game creating ¨artificial difficulty¨ or/and create a very very long list of changes, very very long.

I don´t know if games like Battle for wesnoth or Fire emblem count as RPGS in your book though, but if you do, they are reasonable hard without almost no design of your own.
I generally play RPGS and have to create a long list of changes (look at DSO at the huge list of changes i had to make to make it reasonable hard)
And notice that sometimes is impossible to create discrete rules that make the game play in an interesting way and still reasonable hard (Baldur´s gate is such a game)

Waterd

Augur
HOF the mode where nothing relevant changes except now everthing takes 3 more hours to do? I played it on ICEwind dale 2 targos ambush, where i realized i was wasting my life. All infinity engines have hte same problem, no matter the problem you resolve it with in 4 steps. Summon, Bombard, Run, Rest. Summon a lot, use them as meatshield, bombard from afar, if something comes close run, go rest and repeat. Hof only makes the whole process longer.
Infinity games have impossible problems or extremly easy problems, it doesn´t have problems in between. (not to speak of the ridicuolous high amount of brainless micromanagment it requires)

Last edited:

Waterd

Augur
So That meant, battle for wesnoth, Fire emblem, and board RPG do not count ok.
AGain, I can make knights of the chalice hard with two rules (no infinite campfire, no crafting). But i guess that doesnt count to you.
Oh well, then yes, there are no hard RPG, I wish there were.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom