Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Im out of good stories, may I ask for your help?

Miserable Panda

Educated
Greetings people (or whatever you may consider yourselves). I've recently joined this forums for two reasons, and two reasons only. You sure know about your stuff, you look incredibly friendly and I need your help. Oops, make it three. I've been looking for a LONG time (not kidding, a few weeks already) for a game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now. Ive been searching for a story and a narrative so good, it will stay in my head for the years to come.

I played almost all mainstream RPGS (not the ones coming from the east, so if you know one that is worth it, please tell me) and a plethora of games from all genres alike, in search of a story worthy of the download. Please, can you recommend me anything you tried and left you like I described earlier? Anything that made you feel empty when it was over, because of the void it left you inside? I trust that you will.

P.S.: Sorry for being so obscure, but Im not kidding when I say I played A LOT of them (I had a lot of free time at high school, luckily) Even so, there are some hidden gems I surely missed (GoG is helping me with that matter). If you think is worth mentioning, please do!

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If you are in just for the story, why don't you check out other genres? Metal Gear series is drama-heavy, with the upcoming Phantom Pain to become an ultimate masterpiece.

Reading stuff might deliver better aesthetic feels, but less "astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric". I mean, I can't imagine men crying tears over text blocks. If you are still into this kind of thing, go for Planescape: Torment and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Can't go wrong with them.

Also,

You sure know about your stuff, you look incredibly friendly and I need your help. Oops, make it three.

Fixed ya.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Playing MGS for the story

0sNIBBK.gif

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Just play interactive fiction

btw, metal gear games don't have 'story'. They have a twist pileup near the end that doesn't make sense (recently played metal gear acid so i can remember how Kojima operates).

Dayyālu

Arcane
Oops, make it three. I've been looking for a LONG time (not kidding, a few weeks already) for a game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now. Ive been searching for a story and a narrative so good, it will stay in my head for the years to come.

:2/5:

Nice trolling. You don't play games for stories. Usually. Seriously, "Euphoric"? What the fuck.

Anything that made you feel empty when it was over, because of the void it left you inside? I trust that you will.

Like, empty as every day in this godforsaken life? So, I'll play along and give you some suggestions from my limited knowledge.

Jap crap. Nier. Because Nier. It's Jap stuff, so expect improbable plot points, somewhat retarded character designs and the like. Yet, mostly worth it.

Silent Hill 2. Should I explain why?

I have no Mouth and I Must Scream. Somewhat shit as a game, great atmosphere and some nice kicks in the balls.

Pathologic. Can you read German or Russian? Because the English translation is pretty much unredeemable. As most russian stuff, it's broken, depressing and often incomprehensible. Must be the climate. Never played The Void, maybe someone else can tell if it is what you are searching for.

Plus the stock System Shock 1&2 for atmosphere, Fallout 1&2 for vignettes (writing is serviceable), Geneforge for shit writing but great C&C and some nice moral dilemmas, countless Jap indies for horror and shock effect and whatever.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
He asked for "story", but described it as

game that could leave me astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric and even more adjectives that wont come to mind right now

So he's not really looking for fucking STORY, more like for DRAMA.

You want drama - you go play asian crap, MGS included.
You want story - you play western shit.
You want a PTSD - you play russian rejects.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Summoner (because the story is pretty good).
From Software games (except Armored Core/Frame Gride/other mecha games).

Krraloth

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2
Somewhat of a shitty game but I thought that Shadow Madness (PSX) was an interesting story and had a good setting.
Apparently the humor in the game is very hit or miss but at the time of my playthrough my understanding of the finer points of the English language still escaped me so I had a few good laughs regardless of the jokes' quality.

laclongquan

Arcane
Clearly trolling, but I am not afraid of falling for obvious trolls.

Now, this is entirely dependant on the OP's literary taste.

If Diego Dell Orco like something a little philosophical, then you are in for a treat. Planescape Torment is a philosophical tale about some of the deepest questions "What can change the nature of a man", some tragedical love of Deionarra, or Anna-from-the-Shadow etc...

If you like something a little bit more visceral, like sex, racism, oppression, two side of a conflict, then The Witcher 1 is for you ( I havent played so I cant vouch for TW2 or 3).

Or if you like typical teenage materials, then try some vampire stuffs in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Choose to play as an angsty Malkvian and prepare to facepalm a lot. No other option for 1st run, because you can only do a Bloodline Malk virgin once.
The flip of the coin, typical teenage SF stuffs, would be Knights of THe Old Republic 1. You know, some Star Wars goodness.

They are western games that should satisfy your requirements.

------------------------
Asian/Eastern games, now that is tricky. You must accept that the games are in Visual Novel sub-genre and go from there.

A classic would be Tsukihime, made by Type-Moon. I like TypeMoon storytellers. A vampire dark tale, but niiiiice~

SF side, that would be MuvLuv series, a tale of traversing multiverses.

There are a fuckload of japanese VNs so this is only some taste.

Chinese and Korean I dont know so cant give you any~

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Specs Ops : Da rine (ends here) is another good option.
Or if you like typical teenage materials, then try some vampire stuffs in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

You shut your faggot mouth, or else.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
"If Diego Dell Orco like something a little philosophical, then you are in for a treat. Planescape Torment is a philosophical tale about some of the deepest questions "What can change the nature of a man", some tragedical love of Deionarra, or Anna-from-the-Shadow etc..."

lmao

laughing so hard right now

then goes on to recommend japanese VNs while saying VTMB is teenage

maybe this joker would like to learn the story of my fists

Miserable Panda

Educated
Having read what I just wrote,I can agree with you on certain points: My level of english is certainly pathetic, and sure I look like a big old troll. But thanks for your advice guys, I will take into account the fact that visual novels should be played too (I despise them, unfortunately). As I said, I played a huge number of games from a lot of companies including Bioware, Interplay, Bethesda, Blizzard, Obsidian, TellTale etc. I played the new Shadowrun games for example, the Bioshock saga, System Shock, even Hitman, and on and on. Im quite open, and perhaps what Im asking for are certain obscure masterpieces that few people played, and sure have an excellent narrative

If you are in just for the story, why don't you check out other genres? Metal Gear series is drama-heavy, with the upcoming Phantom Pain to become an ultimate masterpiece.

Reading stuff might deliver better aesthetic feels, but less "astonished, emotional, sad, euphoric". I mean, I can't imagine men crying tears over text blocks. If you are still into this kind of thing, go for Planescape: Torment and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Can't go wrong with them.

Also,

Fixed ya.

Metal Gear Solid is in my "To Do" list right now, the convulated plot is something that attracts me, but also turns me away (it requires huge and unrewarding effort to understand it)
:2/5:

Nice trolling. You don't play games for stories. Usually. Seriously, "Euphoric"? What the fuck.

Like, empty as every day in this godforsaken life? So, I'll play along and give you some suggestions from my limited knowledge.

Jap crap. Nier. Because Nier. It's Jap stuff, so expect improbable plot points, somewhat retarded character designs and the like. Yet, mostly worth it.

Silent Hill 2. Should I explain why?

I have no Mouth and I Must Scream. Somewhat shit as a game, great atmosphere and some nice kicks in the balls.

Pathologic. Can you read German or Russian? Because the English translation is pretty much unredeemable. As most russian stuff, it's broken, depressing and often incomprehensible. Must be the climate. Never played The Void, maybe someone else can tell if it is what you are searching for.

Plus the stock System Shock 1&2 for atmosphere, Fallout 1&2 for vignettes (writing is serviceable), Geneforge for shit writing but great C&C and some nice moral dilemmas, countless Jap indies for horror and shock effect and whatever.

Silent Hill 2, another game that I didnt even try. I will add to my list.
He asked for "story", but described it as

So he's not really looking for fucking STORY, more like for DRAMA.

You want drama - you go play asian crap, MGS included.
You want story - you play western shit.
You want a PTSD - you play russian rejects.

You are right, I believe my description is not really helpful, I will change it as soon as I can. However, I sure love a good old drama now and then (not the oriental ones, mind you)
Clearly trolling, but I am not afraid of falling for obvious trolls.

Now, this is entirely dependant on the OP's literary taste.

If Diego Dell Orco like something a little philosophical, then you are in for a treat. Planescape Torment is a philosophical tale about some of the deepest questions "What can change the nature of a man", some tragedical love of Deionarra, or Anna-from-the-Shadow etc...

If you like something a little bit more visceral, like sex, racism, oppression, two side of a conflict, then The Witcher 1 is for you ( I havent played so I cant vouch for TW2 or 3).

Or if you like typical teenage materials, then try some vampire stuffs in Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines. Choose to play as an angsty Malkvian and prepare to facepalm a lot. No other option for 1st run, because you can only do a Bloodline Malk virgin once.
The flip of the coin, typical teenage SF stuffs, would be Knights of THe Old Republic 1. You know, some Star Wars goodness.

They are western games that should satisfy your requirements.

------------------------
Asian/Eastern games, now that is tricky. You must accept that the games are in Visual Novel sub-genre and go from there.

A classic would be Tsukihime, made by Type-Moon. I like TypeMoon storytellers. A vampire dark tale, but niiiiice~

SF side, that would be MuvLuv series, a tale of traversing multiverses.

There are a fuckload of japanese VNs so this is only some taste.

Chinese and Korean I dont know so cant give you any~

Thanks, seems I will have to broaden my view, I will look for the visual novels you recommended me.

All in all, this has been a good post so far, thanks for your opinion.

PS: It seems that my nickname is a my real full name...Silly does not even start to describe it-

PSS: Care to elaborate what "russian rejects" are? hahaha

Last edited:

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Try Codex Tales. It's a web-based CRPG with a background that takes place in a distopian society ruled by an uncaring overlord. In it you play a citizen trying to collect the local currency without being banished and forced to live the rest of your existence in a watchtower. To make things interesting, a djinn keeps taking over the bodies of your fellow citizens and wrecking havoc. So you are constantly paranoid, trying to avoid his machinations and knowing that even when you discover his current identity he will simply stop inhabiting the body he possesses in the present for another that will torment you in the future. Great game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Not to mention the dramas

Ah, the sidequests. Like trying to find the Grimoire that has been lost for nearly two decades, and the rescue of people from the Prosperous Land. Good times. I will admit that I didn't enjoy the fetch quests that occur when your character runs into trouble with the overlord.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom