Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Old One

Arcane
So I bought Skyrim for cheap on sale. I played it some but I'm wondering whether Enderal is any good.

I don't think it's possible to fix this game without redoing the mind-numbingly linear dungeons, so I'm mainly asking whether Enderal does that at all. If it doesn't I won't bother wasting any more time.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Enderal's cities and towns are vastly better, especially its capital city.

Its dungeons are much, much better too, but they still resemble in many ways original Skyrim dungeons (since they use the same graphical assets).

Enderal disappoints a little when it comes to the world size, however. It's still quite large, but you get a slight claustrophobic feeling from it once you eventually get a grasp on its overall breadth.

Worth playing, however. It does some things really well.

mastroego

Arcane
Finally managed, after years, to beat the first Alduin encounter and Labyrinthian in Requiem.

The game being long, Requiem being what it is, and having restarted Requiem with new characters 2 or 3 times, I never got there before.
Labyrinthian especially was quite insane, did it with a 47 level char, "cleric" build. Already with full Dragonscale armor set, to give perspective.
It took a lot of preparation and it was still almost too much in places.

Now I think I can finally try Requiem Dawnguard.....

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I would love to replay Skyrim. I'm afraid of the amount of shit I would end up installing, I've been out of the scene completely since 2014. Though I've learned a lot by modding New Vegas and Morrowind.
One day, though.

Lambach

Arcane
Finally managed, after years, to beat the first Alduin encounter and Labyrinthian in Requiem.

The game being long, Requiem being what it is, and having restarted Requiem with new characters 2 or 3 times, I never got there before.
Labyrinthian especially was quite insane, did it with a 47 level char with a "cleric" build.
Already with full Dragonscale armor set, to give perspective.
Took a lot of preparation and it was still almost too much in places.

Now I think I can finally try Requiem Dawnguard.....

Assuming your Cleric is good in Restoration, Labyrinthian shouldn't be too difficult. Turn Undead spells can keep everything in there permanently disabled.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, actually I'm not that good in Restoration yet.
I should have said Fighter/Cleric build, in fact. I use spells mainly as support.

I have more fun this way :)

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I would love to replay Skyrim. I'm afraid of the amount of shit I would end up installing, I've been out of the scene completely since 2014. Though I've learned a lot by modding New Vegas and Morrowind.
One day, though.

The mod mastroego mentioned in the post before yours, Requiem, is just one file I think. Maybe worth considering to skip all the hassle

Ryzer

Arcane
You guys seem to play Skyrim a lot for people who hate Bethesda because it's for teh casuals.

mastroego

Arcane
One day, though.

The mod mastroego mentioned in the post before yours, Requiem, is just one file I think. Maybe worth considering to skip all the hassle
Yes, though a few additional refinements would still be advised, and then it can get tricky.
Giving up all visual mods would simplify things quite a lot already, though.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
I've never seen anything interesting done with dwemer ruins, just a let's play of Redguard's observatory and scarab puzzle. They're nothing but hallways in Morrowind, there's nothing interesting going on. Nothing but yet another rock hallway in Skyrim. They're a wasted, overused asset.

oblivionenjoyer

Educated
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've never seen anything interesting done with dwemer ruins, just a let's play of Redguard's observatory and scarab puzzle. They're nothing but hallways in Morrowind, there's nothing interesting going on. Nothing but yet another rock hallway in Skyrim. They're a wasted, overused asset.
Blackreach was pretty interesting off the top of my head. Think there were a couple others I really enjoyed too.

Peak Skyrim was accidentally running into a Dragon Priest at level 7 though. Dwemer ruins don't have anything like that IIRC.

Ryzer

Arcane
Blackreach didn't do anything for me. It was just an empty room.
Blackreach was the only location in the game without quest markers, as if they knew it sucked and they forced the player to explore this area they put effort in.

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
What's that got to do with the dwemer though? The devs could have used any hallway to get us to the big mushroom cave in the mountain. Says nothing interesting about dwemer, and it doesn't open any new gameplay. My point is Bethesda haven't done anything with these ruins, since they appeared, that plays around with their tech or magic, they're just boring not-dwarves in boring hallways. There's less going for these dungeons than plain old grottos, and what's worse is now they're everwhere.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Seasons! :incline:

And a photo bomber.

Modlist is Nolvus... it's pretty, and I may play around with a bit, but not particularly 'novel', which is what I'm looking for. It's looking more and more like my old installation of Aldrnari is still the way to go, just need to see if I can improve the LODs.

Also, this list is a real bait and switch. Start you off with a nude character with physics, but doesn't let you customize the CBBE body, and armors have no jiggle. :decline::decline::decline:
Never understood modders and their fixation with putting trees and vegetation around Whiterun. Isn't the city built on a fucking hill?
Modders....

dreughjiggers

Maidenhaver
Never understood modders and their fixation with putting trees and vegetation around Whiterun. Isn't the city built on a fucking hill?
Modders....
They cluttermonkey a space with so much dumb shit it'll look worse, no clue less is more. It always makes these towns look smaller.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Labyrinthian especially was quite insane, did it with a 47 level char, "cleric" build.
I finally obtained the Staff of Magnus in there (playing Wildlander, which is Requiem-based) with a level 34 mage using three followers (all commensurate levels as me) who were basically useless against all those dragon priests and, critically, the staff Wabbajack. I kept up Illusion spells to avoid being blasted across the room, and kept spamming Wabbajack at each of the priests in turn until I got lucky and hit the RNG for its ability to vaporize its target. Then, after about twenty attempts, finally got lucky on Morokei himself.

I was a little nervous after seeing him lying there in a pile of ash that the staff had actually survived. Totally worth it since SoM is incredible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom