Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Improving Skyrim / Recommended Mods thread (Mostly about Requiem)

Ryzer

Arcane
I don't know shit about installing Requiem but the process seems fairly straightforward:

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/...23305/Installing+Requiem+with+Mod+Organizer+2

I'm assuming this is for Skyrim SE? Or are you running the Anniversary Edition (the process is different for each)?
How can you play Requiem if you hadn't installed it? Also the mod only works with the Legendary Edition of Skyrim not the newer versions.
I have followed the steps but their Reqtificator.bat script seems to be broken.
In fact, I wonder if they playtested it at all, I don't understand so many of their installation choices. Why making a thing such complicated to install when every single other mod modifying the gameplay are extremely simpler? Why complicating things when it could be much simpler?

Last edited:

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Also the mod only works with the Legendary Edition
I'm a little confused. What mod? From my understanding, Reqtificator is part of the Requiem installation package, isn't it?

I told you, I don't know shit about Requiem.

Edit: To clarify, maybe you're characterizing Requiem as a "mod", which I don't really consider it to be, rather than a near-complete remake/overhaul.

mastroego

Arcane
I don't know shit about installing Requiem but the process seems fairly straightforward:

https://requiem.atlassian.net/wiki/...23305/Installing+Requiem+with+Mod+Organizer+2

I'm assuming this is for Skyrim SE? Or are you running the Anniversary Edition (the process is different for each)?
How can you play Requiem if you hadn't installed it? Also the mod only works with the Legendary Edition of Skyrim not the newer versions.
I have followed the steps but their Reqtificator.bat script seems to be broken.
In fact, I wonder if they playtested it at all, I don't understand so many of their installation choices. Why making a thing such complicated to install when every single other mod modifying the gameplay are extremely simpler? Why complicating things when it could be much simpler?

Crispy plays with a megamod that includes Requiem, or something like that, I believe it autoinstalls too.

I use a lighter, self-curated Requiem installation.
But I do have Skyrim SE, AE if I'm not mistaken.
Requiem has been ported to that, in fact the more recent versions (which I didn't bother to upgrade to, so far) even added compatibility with CC content, like the Fishing mod and others.
Look for Requiem under the SE section on nexus.

Late Bloomer

Scholar
This is Wildlander for anyone about ready to waste their time.

Edit. I forgot the quote.

You’ll need a few things before we begin. Please ensure that you have:

At least 135GB* of free space. (*You can delete 45GB of downloads after the install, if you don’t mind downloading them again for updates.)
The latest English Steam version of Skyrim Special Edition.

Warning: The Gamepass, GOG and Epic Games version of Skyrim Special Edition are not compatible!

We also strongly recommend a Nexus Premium Membership , which speeds up the install by auto-downloading mods. (Without Premium, you are looking at a twelve hour, highly manual task.)

Don't forget to sub to Nexus because they totally deserve your money!

61d76af9de4c776162e0216a_bearpeeps.jpg

Last edited:

Ryzer

Arcane
Why would you even install that many mods for Skyrim when a mod for adding Radiant AI and interesting quests/ and characters to Morrowind would be much better?
I mean vanilla Morrowind already has the same content if not more than ultra-modded Skyrim minus the graphics.
Even with so many mods Skyrim is still lacking in features compared to Morrowind such as the multiple layout armor system, Mysticism, Dispel/ Jumping/ Levitate/Chameleon spells, etc... and no mod adds them back into Skyrim.

Last edited:

mastroego

Arcane
it's not much, in fact. A couple of texture packages and such do increase the total size a bit, but my set-up is extremely light compared to what most people seem to be throwing in their skyrim directory.

Lambach

Arcane
Even with so many mods Skyrim is still lacking in features compared to Morrowind such as the multiple layout armor system

Eh, some of these features are just unnecessary bloat and don't really serve much of a purpose gameplay-wise.

I mean, does the fact that you can separately equip two different types of Pauldrons really have an impact on your character and how you play him? I doubt it.

But I agree that Magic in particular was gutted in Oblivion and made far less interesting, and Skyrim burned its corpse and pissed on the ashes. However, Requiem adds at least some features to it that are not present in vanilla and makes it more interesting (e.g. it brings back 'Mark and Recall').

BruceVC

Magister
This is Wildlander for anyone about ready to waste their time.

Edit. I forgot the quote.

You’ll need a few things before we begin. Please ensure that you have:

At least 135GB* of free space. (*You can delete 45GB of downloads after the install, if you don’t mind downloading them again for updates.)
The latest English Steam version of Skyrim Special Edition.

Warning: The Gamepass, GOG and Epic Games version of Skyrim Special Edition are not compatible!

We also strongly recommend a Nexus Premium Membership , which speeds up the install by auto-downloading mods. (Without Premium, you are looking at a twelve hour, highly manual task.)

Don't forget to sub to Nexus because they totally deserve your money!

61d76af9de4c776162e0216a_bearpeeps.jpg
I have a premium account with Nexus, they do deserve our money, They provide the best modding platform in the world and the community is helpful when you ask the right questions :salute:

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I have a premium account with Nexus, they do deserve our money, They provide the best modding platform

No, they provide the largest modding platform. Not the same thing.

Their UI is pretty nice and clean, good mods tagging, good mods filtering.

They are the largest for a reason. Moddb pales in comparison (albeit functional enough). And besides that you have pseudo forums where you have to wade through post and shits.

The only other mod website that's probably decent enough is in Russian (tes4all).

Do give me example of mod website that has better UI and UX though if you do know one.

BruceVC

Magister
I have a premium account with Nexus, they do deserve our money, They provide the best modding platform

No, they provide the largest modding platform. Not the same thing.
Vortex mod manager is not the best mod manager for all games but it works fine for most games. MO2 is better for Skyrim for example

And then Nexus provides the largest repository of mods that are easy to access and they categorized in an easy way to find what you looking for. You also have active forums for most games and mods so you can and do get input and feedback most of the time

And overall since most people get there mods from Nexus, I also use modDB and LoversLab, I still maintain its the best and largest mod platform on the Internet at the moment

Lambach you know Im right unless you can provide an alternative mod website?

mastroego

Arcane
So, finally did Requiem Soul Cairn.
Level 52, and finally able to summon all Atronachs.

This is the point where my setup didn't work perfectly.
The Needs mod (Sunhelm IIRC) auto-pauses in the Soul Cairn... but Frostfall doesn't. You can set manually exposure at 0, but those Mistmen with frost spells will still freeze you.
This is a problem that came up already of course, but it's particularly aggravating here, since monsters keep coming and coming at you everywhere you go.
There ARE spots where you can recover at, but it's annoying. Doable, but annoying.

I got a handle of the Slighted too. Killed 20 of the fuckers.
A few 4000+ Septims Invisibility Potions are probably coming. Would have been nice if I was playing a stealth character, but I'm not.
Still very very difficult for my build. Downed a couple very easily with super poisons, but it's good thing I stopped after that, since I didn't know how badly I'd need those poisons for the dragon.
Another doable thing, but with seemingly infinite Hit Points.

All in all it was exhausting.
Too many and too much of everything, but this is a problem that comes with the original game of course.
I was glad to be finally out of there, honestly.

Well, now Serana apparently likes me enough to trade equipment.
I must prepare a full set of something for her too (but I'll probably keep Dragonscale for myself only....)
We'll see... I can finally try the Dragonborn DLC now, I haven't ever gone through that one yet.

thesecret1

Arcane
Decided to play through Skyrim for the first time since it was released. I thought it was shit back then, but after about a decade of being possibly the most modded game in existence, I hope I'll manage to squeeze some fun outta it. Since I don't want to spend two weeks assembling 1000+ mods for a shit game, I decided to let others do that shit for me, and use modlists.

First one I tried was Wildlander since I saw Crispo recommending it. What an autistic mod. 500+ crafting recipes for gear that becomes obsolete after the first two hours of play (hell, some of it is obsolete on game start, being straight up worse than your starting gear). Otherwise pretty tidy though, I appreciated thought being put into making the various menus and other shit easily accessible. Balancing seemed to be all over the place. You enter a tomb, meet level 1 draugrs and wipe your ass with them. Proceed to the final room, where a fucking level 44 draugr murderboss jumps you. Felt like being trolled, though I did cheese him to death in the end. Anyway, while the mechanics were better from the vanilla, the content seemed to be more or less the same (so shit), so I got bored of it and uninstalled.

Currently, I am trying Librum, which I'm having a lot more fun with. It overhauls everything, adds in copious amounts of content (hopefully not shit, didn't get too far in yet), is more difficult than Wildlander, and, interestingly, isn't based on Requiem (though it does similar things to Requiem with other mods, like Morrowloot). The game is purposefully unfair towards the player when it comes to money (in an effort to make cash not become worthless after raiding the first two dungeons) so for a sword worth 200 medes (multiple currencies instead of septims. Actually pretty neat touch), you'll get about 10, at least until your speech skill gets higher etc. It's actually not as bad as it sounds, and you can establish a solid money flow from dungeon delving. It mostly prevents you from becoming too rich too fast, and makes you stop picking up every piece of garbage you find – if it's not enchanted or gems or jewels or other kinds of treasure, it's not worth taking. It also redoes your advancement and makes changes to combat (it's fairly deadly). Has some nice touches, such as draugr and other undead not staying dead and coming back to life after about 30 seconds, unless you cremate them or do other shit to prevent that from happening.

Vatnik Wumao
Dragon Priests in Requiem and Wildlander are gating content in more ways than one. DPS-wise, yes, but also "do I really want to continue playing this fucking game when its difficulty without cheating remains at about 50% throughout until you encounter even a single dragon priest which then ramps it up to approximately 22,000%?"
To be fair, dragon priests *should* be strong as fuck. Doesn't make for a fun encounter if the only way to reasonably defeat them is to cheese it though.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Speaking of making the economy extremely unfair, I had tried a mod list myself.
It included a needs mod in Sunhelm (I think it was called that), so you had to sleep a bunch, but they also nerfed the economy into the ground, and made inns almost prohibitively expensive.
But for the exact same price of one night at the inn, I could buy a tent, and camp outside the cities for free~.

But the AI is pretty bad at enforcing the 'no camping in the city' rule, so I often plonked down the tent inside the very inn rooms I didn't want to pay for and other weird places.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I can finally try the Dragonborn DLC now
Trust me, save this until the very end. I suppose you may fair better than I did against that motherfucker but it's SO difficult that I don't see how he can be defeated without a level 100 character with every munchkin cheat shout potion available.

Puukko

Arcane
On a related note, I have a relative who's been slowly making it through the game for the first time using The Phoenix Flavor since it's a vanilla+ list. A while back she gave me a call saying she couldn't beat Alduin no matter what, this being the first time you fight him at the throat. The game is on novice I think. Well I gave it a spin and Alduin was level 85. Not a chance of beating him legitimately so I did a kill command to keep the quest rolling. Later on the dragon you capture was also the same level, but that's a scripted "fight" at least. I'm just wondering if this was some big brainfart by the list author or if there's some mod out there that makes quest dragons busted and if so, I want to know its name so I can avoid it. I don't really even have a grasp of how long reaching that level would take in an otherwise vanilla game with no content additions, none of my characters have ever made it past 50 or so.

mastroego

Arcane
I can finally try the Dragonborn DLC now
Trust me, save this until the very end. I suppose you may fair better than I did against that motherfucker but it's SO difficult that I don't see how he can be defeated without a level 100 character with every munchkin cheat shout potion available.
I did the first stages of the quest and apparently he now can steal my dragon souls. Hmm. Either I go back to an earlier save or I'll interrupt the quest for now... I was only looking for the new armor material damn this guy

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I hate to spoil it for you but the entire island is actually rather enjoyable, but for me, once I started it, I sort of felt like I had to conclude things. It's bad at the end. Real bad.

mastroego

Arcane
I hate to spoil it for you but the entire island is actually rather enjoyable, but for me, once I started it, I sort of felt like I had to conclude things. It's bad at the end. Real bad.
Well I'll interrupt it anyway and finish the rest first. There's no way of ordering the quests in urgency hierarchy anyway, I gave up trying that long ago....
I'm certainly not going to hit level 100 anyway. Not sure it's even possible with "vanilla" Requiem, skills are capped at 100.
I'm 53 now, I might gain a few levels more but not many... I have to finish Dawnguard and the Main Quest basically.

Hirato

Purse-Owner
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On a related note, I have a relative who's been slowly making it through the game for the first time using The Phoenix Flavor since it's a vanilla+ list. A while back she gave me a call saying she couldn't beat Alduin no matter what, this being the first time you fight him at the throat. The game is on novice I think. Well I gave it a spin and Alduin was level 85. Not a chance of beating him legitimately so I did a kill command to keep the quest rolling. Later on the dragon you capture was also the same level, but that's a scripted "fight" at least. I'm just wondering if this was some big brainfart by the list author or if there's some mod out there that makes quest dragons busted and if so, I want to know its name so I can avoid it. I don't really even have a grasp of how long reaching that level would take in an otherwise vanilla game with no content additions, none of my characters have ever made it past 50 or so.
If you have the Form Id, the easiest way it to open up the entire modlist in XEdit (or SSEEdit), and see which mods modify that Form's record.
You will probably see it being defined in Skyrim.esm, it being modified in a bunch of intervening mods, and all their changes then being smooshed together at the end via some sort of merged patch.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I'll interrupt it anyway and finish the rest first. There's no way of ordering the quests in urgency hierarchy anyway, I gave up trying that long ago....
I'm certainly not going to hit level 100 anyway. Not sure it's even possible with "vanilla" Requiem, skills are capped at 100.
I'm 53 now, I might gain a few levels more but not many... I have to finish Dawnguard and the Main Quest basically.
Are you guys taking it slow or has Requiem been made harder? I remember finishing most of the main quest chains before hitting lvl 50, with only Alduin left by then.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom