Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

In Defense of Hit Points

Alex

Arcane
I have, more than once, seem people argue here agains hit points in RPGs. Specially as they are implemented in AD&D, where a high level PC can withstad several bits from a dragon, or falling into a pit of spikes more than once. Usually, these arguments ask for a less abstract system instead, where wounds are actual individual concepts, wich create specific hindrances and cause specific problems. For example, if you have had your arm bitten off, you should be bleeding, in a lot of pain and (of course) unable to use that arm for anything.

Now, I think the defense that these approaches each work for (very) different kinds of games is pretty obvious. I would say D&D's hit points worked pretty well in games like the gold boxes or Dark Sun, and while it is possible that the more realist approach could work there as well, that would certainly change the focus of the game, I think. Even if you added some kind of mechanic to still allow the PCs to face so many powerful opponents, the gae would still create a grittier feel, I believe, as the PCs tried to patch their wounds in camp. In fact, I think something like this could work very well with a game more like Realms of Arcania.

But I think neither of these approaches actually captures what is interesting about how hit points worked in the early days of the hobby. The pencil and paper game, while allowing for very powerful characters, still had a certain gritty feel to it. Let me try to explain:

In old D&D, character survival, specially in the early levels, was far from assured (although some soft hearted GMs sometimes fudged dice in favor of the PCs). It was common that the very first adventure of a PC was also his last. The philosophy here is that a 1st level character is not a hero. In fact, he may be weaker than some peasants he might meet. In the case of a magic user, he might be weaker than some house cats he might come to meet. The idea here is that, once you generated a character that worked well with you, and had a bit of luck, you would manage to gain a couple of levels and get him to a safer spot, like level 5.

Thus, as characters evolved, they became understandably harder to kill. (A)D&D may be a bit nasty sometimes, but it would be a rather frustrating game if the efforts of sometimes years poured on a character could be wiped away just as easily as those of minutes. Thus, not only do high level characters have high hit points, bu they also have a lot of safety nets, like saving throws (that are actually good for something), ressurrection spells, wishes, and other (sometimes hated) tricks up their sleeves.

However, though high level characters in D&D have all these things, it is important to note that they are far from the invincible superheroes computer games may make them look. First of all, in a tabletop game, players can't save and load. This means more than simply not being able to save scum. It means that a bad decision can end a character, and you have no take backs. If you do bad in a fight, if you fail your save or die roll, if you open the door to the dragon's lair without realizing where you are getting, you will die, and that is that. Well, you could be ressurrected, but even then your character will take on a permanent penalty (1 less constitution point), and this assumes your companions decide your life is more important than all the expenses. And that they survive as well.

Second, you don't have an infinite amount of time. You can't rest and heal after every fight, as the GM will always put pressing factors to keep you going. Monsters may organize counter-attacks, the time for your quests may run out and all other kind of interesting and dangerous consequences may be introduced. Even a very simple dungeon crawl is likely to have its creatures replaced if you just dilly dally.

Third, the pen and paper game frequently used traps that were much more interesting than "2d6 of acid damage, reflex save for half". Whether is is a salvo of arrows coming out of walls, a rolling boulder, a crushing ruff, pits and spikes, an anihilation sphere in a statue's mouth or just one of the many available poisons, traps in the older games frequently bypassed a character's hp. This is because hp was really supposed to be a combat mechanic. Althotugh you certainly could lose hp outside combat, the point of the mechanic wasn't to simulate any kind of damage, but rather to organize combat.

Finally, it is important to note that while hit points can be a pacing mechanic in combat sometimes, they aren't meant to always be so! The point of combat isn't to just hit each other with your strongest attacks, waiting for one side to run out of HP. Not unless we are talking about trivial encounters, and even those were supposed to have some kind of danger to them, like rust monsters that could eat your weapons or the tarantella, a spider whose poison would give its victims an irresistible urge to dance.

Tunnels and Trolls, one of the earlies RPGs, actually had a combat where the main mechanic was that one side caused damage to the other, and you would through the combat turns, erode the other's side hp. But even there it was done for a reason, because while this basic mechanic may be really dull, it showed well the situation of the PCs, who were most often in disadvantage. In fact, just playing one of the many solo books you will see your character frequently stuck into fights that, if just played straight, will crush your character most of the time!

The point here, and in D&D, is that you need to me up with something smart to win fights. An old red dragon can still mow down a high level fighter in a couple of rounds. In games like Baldur's Gate 2, dragon fights may have been considered easy, after the players had time to come up with an optimal strategy, but in P&P, a static strategy wouldn't work! The dragon would at the very least take flight if it was overpowered, and come back later, when the PCs didn't have the natural advantage. It would use the terrain to its advantage, and try to get the PCs with its breath weapon from somewhere it couldn't be hit! It would use its many spells in ways to make the PCs spend their resources, or steam them, or even make them unusable. I mean, can you really rely on your healing potions once they are frozen over?

Thus, hit points weren't so much a a pace setter of combat as insurance for PCs. They were an insurance that their characters wouldn't get destroyed right away for mistakes in combat or in some off combat situations. But you can't rely on it, and old D&D was all about getting the jump on your enemies. In fact, I would argue a much more important insurance than HPs was that high level PCs would always walk with a whole lot ofNPCs, as hired hands, henchman and even apprentices. In fact, high level PCs sometimes even used their hechman to begin (re)building in the dungeon. Fix up wall cracks, put down a floor, set up guards, and you can avoid having the monsters reclaim all the hard earned ground you conquered.

While some rogue-likes managed to get some of these features right, I've never seen one that came even close of how it is in P&P. So, I wonder, could we transfer these qualities to a computer game? Could we make a game where sending down a chicken with a helmet on its head to test for traps is more important than having 10 or 50 hit points?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
I've always seen hitpoints as an abstraction of the possibly to be hit anyways. Say you have like 50 points, and you take an axe to the face which does 12 damage - I don't imagine that axe being buried in the characters skull, but rather that it maybe glanced off his helmet or a dull part of the axe hit him, it's not until he reaches 0 hit points that the weapon has struck a mortal blow. HP is really more like survivability; if you imagine Bruce Willis in Die Hard as an RPG character, he has really high constitution and is able to tough through having his feet cut up by glass, whereas someone with a lower constitution having the same injury could have passed out from the shock of losing so much blood. In Fallout for example, you don't get the highly detailed brutal death animations until the character reaches 0 hp, before that the character reacts to being hit but in a manner that suggests that their armor absorbed some of the impact or it glanced their flesh. Of course this is a lot easier to accept in games with less detailed graphics, with a zoomed out camera in top down and isometric rpgs you could imagine all of this taking place, but in newer games with fancier graphics you are actually seeing the fire and bullets impact the characters directly in the face which makes it a lot harder to abstract, and of course dipshit developers aren't willing to funnel some of their precious graphics moneyz into implemented a more believable health system. It's like having a really boring DM, who just says "you got hit" every time you lose a roll, and doesn't articulate how you were hit.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I agree that hitpoints are not bad per se, just easilly exploited. However, as always, in P&P the GM stops retarded thing from happening... even your 70hp warrior may die from a giant landing a critical hit with an axe to your head if the GM has some good sense. And no one is gonna let you kill a dragon just by stabbing its feet with a 1d3 dagger.

So I guess it all goes down to the old talk of how can offer in a cRPG an experience similar to P&P + GM... since the AI cant imporvise or debate with players, the easiest way to avoid insane situations is to remove any possibility of it happening, by severely limiting the players choices... I did many retarded awesome things in P&P games, like killing the count oppresing the village, then using alter self to impersonate the count and demand tribute from the village for their insolence of nsending adventurers to kill "me". Heh. And that's a lv 2 wizard spell, that is already enough to completly break the game... the mere thought of implementing a spell like Wish (or even Limited Wish) is probably enough to make designers crawl into fetal position and cry.

I'm gonna be really unnortodhox here and say that one of the few games I feel that did magic & player solutions right was.... Magical Diary (desu):

1024x576.resizedimage

As fabulously gay as it looks, I trully felt like a magical teenager Wizard playing it. On this dungeon this massive monster was blocking the exit. Among many spells, I could mow it down with fireballs, charm it, speak with it, sneak past invisible, destroy the walls and carve a passage around it, destroy the floor and make the monster fall or just teleport him to somewhere else in the dungeon and happily pass by. Except for the combat option, my HP didn't mean anything for all the other solutions.

However, this games dungeons are very controlled enviroments, that serves as "tests" during the game. The whole purpose of this dungeon was getting past the monster, and all I do in the game is dating learning various spells from various schools, so is no suprise the game is biult around that interaction. Seeing all the setup that requires for this to work, like destructable enviroemnt, being able to target walls & floor, very powerfull magic that you can't use outside dungeons, etc... is quite clear why those are sadly not gonna pop in a regular cRPG any millennia soon... is just too much mork, and too many stuff that could completly break the game unless you apply limitations and rules that can be more frustrating that not having the magic in the first place.

More annoying that not having a teleport/wish/polymorph/alter self spells is having the game tell you every 5 sec that you can't use such spells here due bullshit reason X...

an anihilation sphere in a statue's mouth
Fuck you, I lost a Lv 12 ranger like that. R.I.P. Bacamarte. :( (actually the entire party died that day, was our GM's way of quitting)

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I've always seen hitpoints as an abstraction of the possibly to be hit anyways. Say you have like 50 points, and you take an axe to the face which does 12 damage - I don't imagine that axe being buried in the characters skull, but rather that it maybe glanced off his helmet or a dull part of the axe hit him, it's not until he reaches 0 hit points that the weapon has struck a mortal blow. HP is really more like survivability; if you imagine Bruce Willis in Die Hard as an RPG character, he has really high constitution and is able to tough through having his feet cut up by glass, whereas someone with a lower constitution having the same injury could have passed out from the shock of losing so much blood. In Fallout for example, you don't get the highly detailed brutal death animations until the character reaches 0 hp, before that the character reacts to being hit but in a manner that suggests that their armor absorbed some of the impact or it glanced their flesh. Of course this is a lot easier to accept in games with less detailed graphics, with a zoomed out camera in top down and isometric rpgs you could imagine all of this taking place, but in newer games with fancier graphics you are actually seeing the fire and bullets impact the characters directly in the face which makes it a lot harder to abstract, and of course dipshit developers aren't willing to funnel some of their precious graphics moneyz into implemented a more believable health system. It's like having a really boring DM, who just says "you got hit" every time you lose a roll, and doesn't articulate how you were hit.

Heroes in almost any story seem to be luckier and more skilled than anyone else. IMO there should be a better name than Hit Points to describe what is going on. I thought of Destiny Points, but I don't associate that with something that can be recharged.

Alex

Arcane
Alex, You make a good argument. It is quite true that HPs are a pressure mechanism to put characters into situations that they can understand as stress. D&D does it in another way for wizards as their spells run out.

But I thought that you were going to discuss what exactly Hit points abstract (instead of how they are used by the DM). I think I will write something about that.

Oh that vary wildly from game to game. I had a rero-clone game, for example, where elves were rather fragile creatures, who nevertheless used illusion to appear human-like. For elves, hp represented how well their illusion ability was maintained, and errors would begin to appear the more HP they lost. They could be harmed by normal weapons because their illusion would be more and more contradicted as it received blows, but as long as he had any hit points, the physical form of the elf was unharmed.

But if an elf received real, unavoidable damage, he would immediately die (well, actually be banished to his home plane, but it was hard for them to return at any rate). For example, if an elf was put in a torture device, or if it he fell into a pit, his hit points wouldn't help him. While cold steel weapons would always cause maximal damage to them, as it interferred with their ability to maintain their illusions.

On the other hand, very few attacks could reduce an elf's hp to 0 if it was more than 1. Ifhe had 2 hps, and was hit by a sword for 8 damage, it would be left at 1 hp without its illusory ability, but still alive. Also, special abilities that relied on hitting for triggering wouldn't work with him. For example, a snake biting him would never be able to infuse his blood with poison, as it just bit his illusory cloak, not the elf himself.

This worked very differently from, for example, a Dragon, where each hit meant a real, gory wound added to it. As a big creature, and a monster that is supposed to be hard to kill, it makes sense that hit point is an actual measure of how many slashes, gashes and concussions the creature can withstand.

Still, I am very much looking forward what you will write, Captain Shrek! Also, thanks to everyone who replied. I will try to reply to you back once I am done with some stuff here.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Great read, thanks for writing that up. Lots of detail and sound arguments.

I will say that strictly speaking, I don't interpret hit points as "health" but rather stamina, that is, the effectiveness to which you can avoid/shrug off minor damage, before falling in battle and effectively being helpless. HP doesn't actually make much sense in this respect when you also have a stamina system built into the game, but whatever, it's not a bad way of rationalizing the mechanic.

And as far as mechanics go, HP is totally effective for what it does: regulating combat and ensuring that players can make mistakes, but not too many mistakes. The problem is that when you start to get HP bloat, and situations where warriors can take 10x more attacks than wizards, and so on, HP moves from being a buffer zone against error and transitions into a significant factor in character and party building.

Your analysis, though spot-on for low-level D&D play, does not quite address the problem of high-level D&D campaigns where players have literally 200+ HP. All you can do in those situations is keep scaling the challenges up in accordance with the players, which is not necessarily ideal, and it's also rare for enemies in D&D to reach the same capabilities as players, unless you are literally fighting elder gods around every corner. It's telling that many DMs move their D&D campaigns to focus less on dungeon crawling and more on story/narrative stuff as time goes on - because the dungeon crawling is neither especially challenging or fun past a certain point.

There have already been threads made that discuss that increasing HP significantly over time is a bad idea, and I think this is one of the ways you can solve the problem - in videogames - of HP bloat. Why? Because in order to create combat experiences which revolve around significant amounts of incoming and outgoing damage (since videogames are inherently more limited and must stick to more defined rules and engagements than tabletop games), you then have to look to other mechanics to mitigate the effect of damage on HP.

Many of the same principles in HP can just as easily (and much more believably) be applied to other mechanics. Armor threshold is one which is not seen nearly as much as it should be, as well as durability mechanics - when's the last time you saw your shield literally splintered and your armor dented in a CRPG battle, leaving your warrior defenseless? Dragon Age's injury system could also map to equipment, so you might end up with a damaged helmet that makes it harder to see, rather than a damaged eye. This also gives the players a more believable gold sink for regular armor and equipment repairs.

The specific nature of a game's systems also determines what sort of health mechanic is appropriate. In a party-based game with a significant number of characters, I personally do not feel that super-complex HP-like mechanics, such as individual limb damage, are appropriate. But, in a game which focuses on a single character, these more complicated mechanics help make up for the depth you lose out on in not controlling multiple characters.

Imagine how tedious it would get if you every single character in your Baldur's Gate party had different injuries to different body parts and they constantly required treatment - that would suck. But, if you put it in a game like Fallout, suddenly healing crippled limbs isn't an annoyance - they have a serious effect on your character's health and well-being, not to mention combat effectiveness, so much so that it's worth investing in Doctor/First Aid for combat-focused characters or spending money on extra healing items. Those injuries don't happen too often, but when they do happen it's a serious issue that can throw a lot of interesting choices into the normal gameplay loop. Not to mention it can also inform additional systems such as perks and traits (Small Frame, etc.).

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
One solution is to have a multi-layered health/resource system. Have an HP system. Also have a wound system on top of that. The former lets you represent abstract stamina, or 'insurance', as talked about in this post. The latter lets you represent blows and wounds that bypass your stamina, as any high level hero can still be decapitated or maimed with a perfectly aimed hit. Perhaps even more layers can be added on (within reason). And of course you don't just stack two systems on top of each other willy-nilly - they would be balanced with each other knowing that there are two resources you need to handle.

Having a multi-layered resource system is also beneficial for gameplay, if implemented correctly, because trade-offs between resources inherently adds strategic gameplay.

Edit: Please don't mention Dragon Age, I'll kill you.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
One solution is to have a multi-layered health/resource system. Have an HP system. Also have a wound system on top of that. The former lets you represent abstract stamina, or 'insurance', as talked about in this post. The latter lets you represent blows and wounds that bypass your stamina, as any high level hero can still be decapitated or maimed with a perfectly aimed hit. Perhaps even more layers can be added on (within reason). And of course you don't just stack two systems on top of each other willy-nilly - they would be balanced with each other knowing that there are two resources you need to handle.

Have a multi-layered resource system is also beneficial for gameplay, if implemented correctly, because trade-offs between resources inherently adds strategic gameplay.

Edit: Please don't mention Dragon Age, I'll kill you.
You've basically just described Drakensang but I'm unsure as to whether or not you're aware of it. Drakensang has a hit point system layered with a wound system and I find it greatly adds to the combat. If an attack does more numerical damage than a character's constitution rating, a wound can be caused. If the damage is double to triple that constitution rating, two wounds can be caused, etc. Also, certain special, endurance draining attacks can cause wounds simply by connecting regardless of their damage rating. Whether or not a wound IS caused then becomes a sort-of saving throw against a Willpower score. Each wound causes big penalties to combat values, and if you sustain 5 you fall. Also, if your hit points reach zero you fall. If a character falls but the party survives then said character receives a nasty wound which has an even larger penalty than a normal wound.

Anyway, I like the system and the strategic possibilities it presents, and yes, it's far superior to the standard damage model.

Lorica

Educated
Alex, this was an interesting line of reasoning. I think that it would apply best to a game that simulated the PnP experience in terms of structure. Most cRPGs focus on the character... Character death is game over, forcing a restart or a reload. PnP sessions are part of a campaign that survives PC deaths... The ideal game might be something where the player is forced to reroll perished characters in a world that's expansive enough that it wouldn't be boring or a deathloop--difficult challenge kills levelled PCs, forcing rolling level one characters, who have even less of a chance to deal with the challenge.

I remember an old campaign GMed by none other than my father. We decided to start out as mercenaries, as caravan guards, got slaughtered (orcs...), decided instead to investigate a robbery in the starting city, got slaughtered (mage + dire rats... we were kids...), and then turned to a life of petty crime ourselves (success!). We had so many options that starting from scratch wasn't a problem.

What I'm getting at circuitously is that HP isn't just a buffer against rerolling a character in most cRPGs. It's a buffer against game over. Its importance is much higher in most cRPGs, isn't it? There are some games, like Darklands, where it's possible to play through due to the structure. But for typical games, it's a necessary evil. That's kind of the foundation that I see for the discussion on the Codex about making it a more interesting, integrated system. The other option is a more radical overhaul of the basics of cRPGs (not that I'm opposed to that either).

fiorel

Literate
Developer
Interesting thoughts.

I've seen roguelikes that use a player-doll to track injuries. Like in the mechwarrior games: Each bodypart can change color from green to red. That might be an approach slightly more interesting and flexible than HP.

I guess a reason why HP are so common is the simplicity. Everyone understands the concept of HP.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar

Heroes in almost any story seem to be luckier and more skilled than anyone else. IMO there should be a better name than Hit Points to describe what is going on. I thought of Destiny Points, but I don't associate that with something that can be recharged.

How about renaming hitpoints 'luck' (you know instead of that broken/completely obscure and/or useless stat). One's luck can 'run out' (HP is 0/#) as well as be 'on the upswing' (I have noticed many RPGs like Wasteland have auto-regen health, or perhaps your luck 'returning' to you can be personified in being saved by a healer or having a healing potion to use). Perhaps if getting 0/# LK took a character out of battle more often for a serious injury that needs attention away from battle (either after the battle ends, send a healer out of battle for a good number of rounds to bring both back, or otherwise somehow get the injured to a required hospital after battle) rather than death, maybe we could avoid some of the confusion of HP with 'arrow to the brain points' (that and maybe require all high graphics developers have at least half-assed 'dodged', 'blocked', and 'deflected' floating messages/animations).

MoLAoS

That's actually a really cool idea.

I think a lot of the problem with heroes is that, no one writes stories about heroes who died, except maybe for backstory. In books heroes are often saved by pure luck of various kinds rather than just being super godly. But think of all the heroes who have died and you have never heard of. Statistically successful heroes are a big minority.

As much as Robert Jordan lacks the traits to become more than a guilty pleasure, the whole explicity ta'varen explanation for how the heroes always win was really perhaps his only stroke of brilliance. It makes explicit what is usually just a trope understood by the audience.

Lhynn

Arcane
Because then even unlucky heroes would be lucky, and that doesnt make any sense.

you could call it fighting spirit, vigor, etc. when they go down to 0 or less you can no longer fight, you are defeated, you are either stuck on terrain, or you dont have the strenght to lift your arms, you ran out of breath completly, your body simply wont move anymore or you simply lost the will to fight. and of course, critical hits could bypass this and outright kill you if they take you to 0 or below.

Dumbfuck
Codex 2012
No need to overcomplicate things

I think RuneQuest does it the best: http://mrqwiki.com/wiki/images/1/18/RunequestFull.pdf

Each location/limb has it's own hitpoints and is treated separately. A 'major wound' to a limb makes it mangled but does not kill.

Death occurs when head or torso are reduced to -[initial hitpoints] and you fail a resilience test.

I think you can die indirectly from limb damage with blood loss rules. When blood drops too low resilience test or die

As for 'insurance' I think you think that's an issue because you expect to see level 112 characters who you've played for years killing a gazillion goblins and hundreds of dragons. That's a D&D thing not an RPG thing. If you expect a character to live for a few adventures the 'problem' disappears. You die and create a new character no big deal, something new

The D&D problem is that they made low level so boring that the game is all about being 'high level'

Any case in the world of CRPGs a character is time limited anyway and you have saves. You get level/XP inflation because that's the D&D assumption, to compensate you also have linearly increasing stronger opponents, nothing has changed (except the numbers) and nothing makes sense

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
Because then even unlucky heroes would be lucky, and that doesnt make any sense.

you could call it fighting spirit, vigor, etc. when they go down to 0 or less you can no longer fight, you are defeated, you are either stuck on terrain, or you dont have the strenght to lift your arms, you ran out of breath completly, your body simply wont move anymore or you simply lost the will to fight. and of course, critical hits could bypass this and outright kill you if they take you to 0 or below.

Luck is just a rationalization after the fact in real life. Even if you play a doofus (unlucky), if you don't want him to fall on every sword in the room until death then you hypocritically want him to be lucky (have enough HP/LK to survive various threats the first time around). To sum up my views: luck is a horrible stat (you're already playing with RNG altered by stats that I would think account for "luck") and the word "luck" (abbreviated LK) is a better name for Hit Points (which are not necessarilly about getting hit) as a way to convey survival and "your luck's run out!" (meaning either a serious wound that takes a PC out of commission or actual death when points become 0/n>0). "HP" should have remained a gamist meta-concept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom