1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Inquisition Quest: Mysteries of Brocante

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by baud, Feb 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

    ERYFKRAD
    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2012
    Messages:
    18,938
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Ok. I'm not one to leave a gig halfway, but this makes sense.
     
    ^ Top  
  2. daveyarsegallant Magister Vatnik

    daveyarsegallant
    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2019
    Messages:
    4,265
    Location:
    Niggeria
    Leave, our boss has already indicated that he's not inclined to pursue the matter further with Zhou officially.
     
    ^ Top  
  3. Baltika9 Arcane

    Baltika9
    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2012
    Messages:
    9,517
    [x] Leave the city and the situation as it is

    Boss said to leave it, and I will trust his judgement. There are greater problems afoot and the arbites can deal with this now. There are jurisdictions for a reason.
     
    ^ Top  
  4. CappenVarra phase-based phantasmist Patron

    CappenVarra
    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2,750
    Location:
    Ardamai
    Lignum Vermem :roll:

    [x] Leave the city and the situation as it is

    you need to be at least <DEVOUR SOUL> tall to ride the Inquisition rollercoaster
     
    ^ Top  
  5. Azira Arcane Patron

    Azira
    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2004
    Messages:
    8,265
    Location:
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Codex 2012
    I agree with Kalarion.

    [x] Leave the city and the situation as it is
     
    ^ Top  
  6. baud Magister Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    2,515
    Location:
    Septentrion
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :shredder:

    I'll leave the vote open a few more days, but I won't make any promise on the date of the next chapter
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. baud Magister Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    2,515
    Location:
    Septentrion
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    okay, here's the tally:

    [x] Stay and try to bring Magos Zhou to justice
    Gondolin, ChumBucket, Endemic

    [x] Leave the city and the situation as it is
    Kalarion, ERYFKRAD, daveyarsegallant, CappenVarra, Azira, Baltika9
     
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021 at 2:03 AM
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ChumBucket Augur

    ChumBucket
    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Messages:
    319
    Forgot Baltika9
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. baud Magister Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    2,515
    Location:
    Septentrion
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    :negative: He must have been lost when I formatted the tally. Thank you
     
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. baud Magister Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    2,515
    Location:
    Septentrion
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker

    [​IMG]

    Part 18: The Ones Who Walk Away from Wahun

    [x] Leave the city and the situation as it is

    You remember the mass graves. The patients, comatose and dying in Hangul. The storehouse and its mixed smells of human flesh and metal. But you also remember what can a single Daemon do. What lurks on the other side of the veil. How fragile the situation on Brocante is. And you come to a decision.

    "I understand. But as you said, our work here is done. We will go back to Villeneuve."

    You take a look at your acolytes, Telemacus throws you a bitter look but stays silent, while Electryos is harder to read, though seems more in agreement with you decision.

    "I'll tell Vince of your return, When do you think you will arrive at Villeneuve?"

    "I think there should be a train back soon enough, Electryos, do you remember the time?"

    "Yes, there's one which leaves at dawn in a few hours then it's a week of travel. I should be able to secure us seats by using Mechanicus credentials."

    "Right" you continues "Inquisitor, Regarding the Magos, can't you do more?"

    "Well, the local law enforcement wouldn't dare act against a Magos, the Arbites won't be moving without good enough proofs, the planetary governor might, but only after the harvest is done, when most proofs would have been removed, so that would create a crisis with the Mechanicus. And as he's a power hungry fool, he'd most likely mess this up. And as for Mars themselves... It'd depends on which member of the Collegiate Extremis hears our case, but most won't care about humans from the outside of the Adeptus. So no, nothing more. If that is all, safe travels to the three of you."

    "Thank you, Inquisitor. We'll report back to Vince once we're back in Villeneuve. The Emperor protects."

    You cut the connection, leave the building and you slink back into the darkness of the streets of Hubei, guided by Telemacus. The train station isn't far away and once there, Electryos successfully get you on the train.

    "Well, the only way to easily get you onboard was to give you an emplacement in the servitor bays. It won't be comfortable, but no one will come looking here."

    And indeed your accommodations are barren, little more than an empty metal box set just behind the locomotive. And this is how you leave Wuhan, hidden away for the duration of the travel.

    So thank you for sticking with me. The next arc is more or less planned, but before I post the next part, can I ask for your feedback? If it wasn't obvious, it's not something that I have done before, so I'd be interested if you have some (constructive) criticism, regarding the general writing, how the 40k adaptation holds up and the CYOA parts.
     
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2021 at 10:01 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Kalarion Augur Patron

    Kalarion
    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2015
    Messages:
    406
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Two criticisms, one personal. For the personal (as in, a personal pet peeve of mine), your prose. Lots of grammatical errors, some spelling, several times where the narrative didn't "flow" well. But I'm not sure that's something you can really fix in a CYOA environment (after all, who could you have edit your work since we're all participants?). The second is the back-and-forth on mechanics transparency (dice rolls, what affects them). Making the mechanical side totally transparent or making it totally visible both work, but trying to mix the two is a little jarring. You might want to have yourself a long noodling about which direction you want to take the next arc wrt that.

    I really enjoyed this first arc, and I thought you did a competent job running the show. This is one of those times I really miss being able to brofist and salute.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Endemic Arcane

    Endemic
    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2012
    Messages:
    2,295
    Well, English isn't his first language, so I think we can forgive some errors of that nature. It was a pretty decent first attempt, all things considered.
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. baud Magister Patron

    baud
    Joined:
    Dec 11, 2016
    Messages:
    2,515
    Location:
    Septentrion
    RPG Wokedex Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Thank you for the feedback. If you find grammatical/spelling errors, I don't mind being corrected.
    Good point for the flow, I'll have to work on that (and the grammar/spelling).

    Perhaps I should have told, but there's no real "mechanics" behind the rolls (mostly because I would have never started this quest if I had tried to use a ruleset). Rather, when I want to have a possibility of failure, I just eyeball a success chance, write down the possible consequences and roll the die/ask the thread to roll it. And I like having the players here roll the dice, to add some interaction
     
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Kalarion Augur Patron

    Kalarion
    Joined:
    Jan 30, 2015
    Messages:
    406
    Location:
    San Antonio, TX
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I wouldn't presume, especially since I'm participating in a game you're running :D. And the explanation about dice rolling makes sense.

    Cheers! I look forward to your next installment.
     
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. ChumBucket Augur

    ChumBucket
    Joined:
    May 16, 2010
    Messages:
    319
    Ah the classic DM Standby...
     
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.