Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is 3DS dead?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sorry, but you're an absolute idiot if you somehow managed to brick your 3DS when there's so many easy to follow guides out there. For years you could pirate basically out of the box after hacking, only needing to use the default FBI app. Let's not get into the years of freeshop either. After many headaches with the PSP early in the day, and the absolute disaster that is PS3 hacking, 3DS hacking is soo fucking easy.
PS3 and PSP were super easy, maybe it used to be different for 3ds.
Well 3DS had an annoying sound test method, but PS3 was never easy. You needed portable drives, FTP servers, you had to use the browser... And this is recent. Homebrew required a side loading method, installing games was a hassle in itself, no way dude.

PSP was easy as time went on but popsloader gives me nightmares.

Gastrick

Cipher
I'm sorry, but you're an absolute idiot if you somehow managed to brick your 3DS when there's so many easy to follow guides out there. For years you could pirate basically out of the box after hacking, only needing to use the default FBI app. Let's not get into the years of freeshop either. After many headaches with the PSP early in the day, and the absolute disaster that is PS3 hacking, 3DS hacking is soo fucking easy.
PS3 and PSP were super easy, maybe it used to be different for 3ds.
Well 3DS had an annoying sound test method, but PS3 was never easy. You needed portable drives, FTP servers, you had to use the browser... And this is recent. Homebrew required a side loading method, installing games was a hassle in itself, no way dude.

PSP was easy as time went on but popsloader gives me nightmares.
I guess clear tutorials can do wonders, especially those that don't brick your device. Who doesn't have a few portable drives lying around, using the browser isn't hard at all. Don't remember anything about ftp servers for PS3, but they are simple to do on windows. Installing games is just going on pirate bay or a newer site and torrenting it. I remember getting the jailbroken software being annoying though.

For PSP you just had to remember that games won't work without popsloader.

Found out after my first post that citra works great for 3ds games as long as you have a good computer.

Siveon

Bot
I guess clear tutorials can do wonders, especially those that don't brick your device.

Found out after my first post that citra works great for 3ds games as long as you have a good computer.
3DS had some of the best tutorials in the community though, but I digress. There was apparently a few things you had to do on 3DS.guide that could brick but lord knows I fucked up and I never got to that point.

To get back on topic yeah Citra actually is turning out to be a real real thing. Which is good for a few games that I want to play, but not on OG hardware.

Gastrick

Cipher
3DS had some of the best tutorials in the community though, but I digress. There was apparently a few things you had to do on 3DS.guide that could brick but lord knows I fucked up and I never got to that point.

To get back on topic yeah Citra actually is turning out to be a real real thing. Which is good for a few games that I want to play, but not on OG hardware.
What games are you thinking of? The exciting part is some games may get mods to make them more PC compatible. It was a really shit tutorial.

Siveon

Bot

What games are you thinking of? The exciting part is some games may get mods to make them more PC compatible. It was a really shit tutorial.
Kirby Planet Robobot, maybe Kid Icarus Uprising. Action games just don't feel great on the 3DS to me. I'm more used to the Vita.

Gastrick

Cipher

Kirby Planet Robobot, maybe Kid Icarus Uprising. Action games just don't feel great on the 3DS to me. I'm more used to the Vita.
Oh riiight. 3ds did have that super janky joystick. It actually broke on mine from playing Smash on it, it's a delicate little thing. Vita unfortunately didn't have too many actions games besides uncharted and Gravity rush, but I could be wrong.

Siveon

Bot
Oh riiight. 3ds did have that super janky joystick. It actually broke on mine from playing Smash on it, it's a delicate little thing. Vita unfortunately didn't have too many actions games besides uncharted and Gravity rush, but I could be wrong.
Oh no, it plenty. It had every single Vanillaware title from the last generation, fantastic games. Ys, Wipeout, a fairly fun TPS by the name of Unit 13. Very good indie ports of action games but the best game out of them all...

TxK. TxK is a fucking masterpiece, got me through high school.

Gastrick

Cipher
Oh no, it plenty. It had every single Vanillaware title from the last generation, fantastic games. Ys, Wipeout, a fairly fun TPS by the name of Unit 13. Very good indie ports of action games but the best game out of them all...

TxK. TxK is a fucking masterpiece, got me through high school.
Interesting, didn't know there was a llamasoft game for vita.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any great games you guys can recommend from the 3DS library?
The Devil Survivor games are pretty cool. I've got to give a shoutout to Dragon Quest VII, even if the 3DS version is inferior to the PS1 version. With that said, I must also recommend its sequel, Dragon Quest VIII. I wish I could recommend DQ IX, but I gave up after 25 hours. My personal favorite game is Radiant Historia. It's a low budget game, but what it does well, it excels at. Soundtrack is top tier, and characters plus writing are very solid for a JRPG.

deama

Prophet
The Devil Survivor games are pretty cool. I've got to give a shoutout to Dragon Quest VII, even if the 3DS version is inferior to the PS1 version. With that said, I must also recommend its sequel, Dragon Quest VIII. I wish I could recommend DQ IX, but I gave up after 25 hours. My personal favorite game is Radiant Historia. It's a low budget game, but what it does well, it excels at. Soundtrack is top tier, and characters plus writing are very solid for a JRPG.
I didn't like dragon quest 8 at all when I played it on the ps2, I did kinda like dragon quest 9 though.
Are there any more... free-form rpgs on the 3DS? Like more choices you can make and more roleplay.

Siveon

Bot
Plenty of 3DS threads. Off the top of my head though, Etrian Odyssey. Untold 1, 2, 4, X.
I think it was 5 people were eh on but the rest are pretty great. They're dungeon crawlers though, there's not really any western RPG inspired games on the system. It's a handheld, that audience generally doesn't interact. Crimson Shroud is pretty damn good for what it is though. And that's like a tabletop thing.

Stella Glow I love but I'm predisposed to like long-winded SRPGs.

I can't stand vidya where I need to look at 2 little screens to play. I'm a fucking human being not a slug.
What does two screens have to do with being a slug?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn't like dragon quest 8 at all when I played it on the ps2, I did kinda like dragon quest 9 though.
Are there any more... free-form rpgs on the 3DS? Like more choices you can make and more roleplay.
Free-form? Hmm... I guess you'd have to look for dungeon crawlers for that.
Legend of Legacy was a bit free-form and is a SaGa wannabe, but I'm not sure if I'd call it great. I bought it because of SaGa drought.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Time to Switch, bro. Hope Nintendo sticks with the portable/home console hybrid in future as well. The second console should be more like lite, but with the option to buy a home stand with some additional GPU based hardware so it can run games at 4k. That would be a winning combo.

While I have both a hacked Switch and hacked 3DS and agree with the recommendation somewhat, I still think the dual screen and small form factor and paradoxically the low power hardware(which forced devs to try new things) of the 3DS lends itself to a lot of unique games and it's still a great system. I actually have several, just for backup purposes in case of failure. It's still far better than emulation.

Hacking my first one took about 8 hours as I was really scared of brick and the guides were complicated and even wrong. Now it takes half hour max as the process is streamlined and simple as fuck and actually permanent. Don't even need a SD card with an exploit to keep it 'hacked' like in the past. It will be a permanent mod.

Silva

Arcane
What does two screens have to do with being a slug?
images

One eye for each screen.

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
3D Classics: Kid Icarus is very good. They didn't just add the optional 3D effect, they rebalanced the gameplay and the result is the best version of Kid Icarus you can play anywhere.

deuxhero

Arcane
Nintendo released a new firmware that disables the easy method of hacking it. Apparently there's at least one method that still works though.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Nintendo released a new firmware that disables the easy method of hacking it. Apparently there's at least one method that still works though.
Great, I did well on not upgrading. Once the new firmware is loaded, is it still a problem?

ultimanecat

Arcane
Great, I did well on not upgrading. Once the new firmware is loaded, is it still a problem?

The method described in 3DS.hacks.guide (unSAFE mode) for the latest firmware is still functional and likely cannot actually be patched out, but there is a small chance it won’t work for any given 3DS due to cryptography weirdness. This latest patch removed the BrowserHax exploit.

If you’ve already hacked your 3DS, upgrading the firmware before you upgrade your CFW will likely prevent your 3DS from booting , but it isn’t irrecoverable, just needs some new files.

Maxie

I'm still waiting for the Great Ace Attorney 2 translation tbh

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
I second Radiant Historia and Stella Glow. I really loved both of those games, and I think Radiant Historia in particular would swing for a bigger portion of the crowd on the Codex, at least with the original artwork. It's just like my western political intrigue rpgs!

I also recommend the Etrian Odyssey games for anybody willing to visit the grid-based dungeon genre. They make very good use of the dual screens to give you pen and paper for drawing your dungeons and keeping notes, and has great classes and gameplay mechanics. It's good stuff all around.

Maxie

I second Radiant Historia and Stella Glow. I really loved both of those games, and I think Radiant Historia in particular would swing for a bigger portion of the crowd on the Codex, at least with the original artwork. It's just like my western political intrigue rpgs!

I also recommend the Etrian Odyssey games for anybody willing to visit the grid-based dungeon genre. They make very good use of the dual screens to give you pen and paper for drawing your dungeons and keeping notes, and has great classes and gameplay mechanics. It's good stuff all around.
Too bad the map-making in Etrians is such a giant pain in the ass and massively inferior to simply drawing on a piece of paper
Let's face it - it's a poor gimmick which doesn't help to sell the series at all

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom