Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is 3DS dead?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I second Radiant Historia and Stella Glow. I really loved both of those games, and I think Radiant Historia in particular would swing for a bigger portion of the crowd on the Codex, at least with the original artwork. It's just like my western political intrigue rpgs!

I also recommend the Etrian Odyssey games for anybody willing to visit the grid-based dungeon genre. They make very good use of the dual screens to give you pen and paper for drawing your dungeons and keeping notes, and has great classes and gameplay mechanics. It's good stuff all around.
Too bad the map-making in Etrians is such a giant pain in the ass and massively inferior to simply drawing on a piece of paper
Let's face it - it's a poor gimmick which doesn't help to sell the series at all
The is the first time I actually want to insult someone on the internet. You're actually brain dead. Not only do you save money on paper, but you get quickly made grid lines that not only looks good and readable all the time but allows you to double check your work in-game. You don't even need to look away from your screen to do it, and it always saves your work so you'll never lose it.

If you at least said grid cartagrapher or something was better I'd be fine, but paper? Especially for a handheld? You're an idiot.

Also does Radiant Historia 3DS let you play with the old art? I never found info on that, but the new art sucks.

kaisergeddon

Liturgist
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
Too bad the map-making in Etrians is such a giant pain in the ass and massively inferior to simply drawing on a piece of paper
Let's face it - it's a poor gimmick which doesn't help to sell the series at all

Massively inferior? I'd actually like to see your explanation for this, and a rebuttal to all the facts Siveon said.

https://bleedingcool.com/games/mapping-dungeons-is-the-best-part-of-etrian-odyssey-nexus/

This is just one review for the latest game out of many. The mapping functionality was pretty well-received all around in the series.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Are EO games mechanically deep? My fave blobber, or the only one I could tolerate, is Labyrinth of Touhou. I like theoricrafting builds and itemizing for bosses and such, I don't care much for attrition and trash mobs.

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
I second Radiant Historia and Stella Glow. I really loved both of those games, and I think Radiant Historia in particular would swing for a bigger portion of the crowd on the Codex, at least with the original artwork. It's just like my western political intrigue rpgs!

I also recommend the Etrian Odyssey games for anybody willing to visit the grid-based dungeon genre. They make very good use of the dual screens to give you pen and paper for drawing your dungeons and keeping notes, and has great classes and gameplay mechanics. It's good stuff all around.
Isn't the point of the DS to be portable? Who carries a notepad pen and then plays games while scribbling on the go?

lightbane

Arcane

Isn't the point of the DS to be portable? Who carries a notepad pen and then plays games while scribbling on the go?

The 3DS and DS also allow to open up a blank page and scribble here, so you can do that with the console itself as well.

Maxie

The is the first time I actually want to insult someone on the internet. You're actually brain dead. Not only do you save money on paper, but you get quickly made grid lines that not only looks good and readable all the time but allows you to double check your work in-game. You don't even need to look away from your screen to do it, and it always saves your work so you'll never lose it.

If you at least said grid cartagrapher or something was better I'd be fine, but paper? Especially for a handheld? You're an idiot.

Also does Radiant Historia 3DS let you play with the old art? I never found info on that, but the new art sucks.
One'd argue that using a grid-pattern notepad you can buy for a handful of pennies is perfectly reasonable and allows you to scribble whatever in, including notes you put on margins, which is ineffective and, frankly, bothersome if you were to use a stylus and 3ds screen combo
I dislike to zoom and move around, which is a necessity on a screen this small and a non-issue on a handmade map

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are EO games mechanically deep? My fave blobber, or the only one I could tolerate, is Labyrinth of Touhou. I like theoricrafting builds and itemizing for bosses and such, I don't care much for attrition and trash mobs.
I would say the combat is mechanically deep, not compared to Labyrinth of Touhou but compared to most Japanese blobbers. There's a lot of a good bit of class combinations and skills to mess around with, and in certain titles items play a very large factor in a group dynamic. A lot of skills, debuffs, buffs, etc to manage. Resource management also plays a decent factor. They're not perfect/the most hardcore games but I can at least say they're enjoyable.

One'd argue that using a grid-pattern notepad you can buy for a handful of pennies is perfectly reasonable and allows you to scribble whatever in, including notes you put on margins, which is ineffective and, frankly, bothersome if you were to use a stylus and 3ds screen combo
I dislike to zoom and move around, which is a necessity on a screen this small and a non-issue on a handmade map
You can write notes in the map maker itself, inside the map itself. You also don't need to zoom and move around most of the time, as the game can track your place in the map. Frankly, the action of zooming in and out is a non-issue considering how quick it is/how rare you really have to flip between it. Just as well the XL line was made just for those who think the handhelds were too small, most people use them.

You can simply say you just prefer physical, you don't need a specific reason.

NerevarineKing

Learned

That's just factually not true, it does help sell the series.

https://kotaku.com/nintendo-wii-u-3ds-classic-games-mario-zelda-eshop-shop-1848544931

Nintendo Closing 3DS & Wii U Shops In 2023, Has 'No Plans To Offer Classic Content In Other Ways'
The company then deleted a 'Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games?' section from its own FAQ

In a post titled “Wii U & Nintendo 3DS eShop Discontinuation,” Nintendo just announced that in March 2023 the online storefronts for both systems will be ceasing operations.

But in a practical sense the closures will begin a lot sooner than that:

- As of May 23, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a credit card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

- As of August 29, 2022, it will no longer be possible to use a Nintendo eShop Card to add funds to an account in Nintendo eShop on Wii U or the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. However, it will still be possible to redeem download codes until late March 2023.

In terms of people playing and enjoying the games they already own, Nintendo says:

Even after late March 2023, and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems.

All of this is expected stuff. The 3DS is 11 years old this year and the Wii U ten, so digital store closures were always going to happen sooner or later. What’s shitty about these closures in particular, though, is that both shopfronts offered users the ability to purchase and then own many of Nintendo’s greatest ever titles, something you’re now largely unable to do ever since the company switched to a subscription model with Nintendo Switch Online.

The company saw this coming. When the blog post was first made, an associated FAQ had the following exchange:

Once it is no longer possible to purchase software in Nintendo eShop on Wii U and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems, many classic games for past platforms will cease to be available for purchase anywhere. Will you make classic games available to own some other way? If not, then why? Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase?

Across our Nintendo Switch Online membership plans, over 130 classic games are currently available in growing libraries for various legacy systems. The games are often enhanced with new features such as online play.

We think this is an effective way to make classic content easily available to a broad range of players. Within these libraries, new and longtime players can not only find games they remember or have heard about, but other fun games they might not have thought to seek out otherwise.

We currently have no plans to offer classic content in other ways.

“We currently have no plans to offer classic content in other ways,” is an incredibly shitty thing to read, because under zero circumstances is a subscription-based model an acceptable substitution to actually owning a game.

Especially wild, then, is the fact that not long after publishing this, Nintendo wiped that particular section of the Q&A from its site. Go and check it now and the “Doesn’t Nintendo have an obligation to preserve its classic games by continually making them available for purchase?” part is gone.

spekkio

Arcane
What’s shitty about these closures in particular, though, is that both shopfronts offered users the ability to purchase and then own many of Nintendo’s greatest ever titles
People who think they actually OWN anything bought in such online stores are retarded.

Luckily for me, and thanks to the filthy pirates, I won't be affected:

od6eMbC.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom