Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is cyberpunk 2077 going to be good

Melcar

Arcane
I've used Linux. Mint, Manjaro, Arch, you name it.

Linux sucks and even the games that have native ports have less graphical features and/or fps than the Windows versions
You probably did not compile the features you wanted. Typical mistake.

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Go play Civ V on Linux, notice it doesn't have AA because it was ported using an old version of OpenGL so that it could also be run on Mac. That's not user error. Neither was my significantly lower average FPS in every single game I benchmarked and compared to Windows. I spent months researching and doing comparisons and wrote a rather lengthy article for [H]ardforum on gaming on Linux vs Windows. Linux sucks. I'm sorry, but it does. Especially if you want to use Steam on an Arch based distro.

I don’t know. It seems like with AMD GPUs there always some give/take somewhere, even the high end options. A 5700xt I bought had driver issues no matter what I did. Returned. A more reputable and pricier version of the same card sounded like a jet engine in idle. Returned. Said fuckit and bought an RTX 2070 and basically set and forget. Blah blah, ampere coming soon, blah blah. I’m happy.

mk0

Learned
Go play Civ V on Linux, notice it doesn't have AA because it was ported using an old version of OpenGL so that it could also be run on Mac. That's not user error. Neither was my significantly lower average FPS in every single game I benchmarked and compared to Windows. I spent months researching and doing comparisons and wrote a rather lengthy article for [H]ardforum on gaming on Linux vs Windows. Linux sucks. I'm sorry, but it does. Especially if you want to use Steam on an Arch based distro.
Native ports do suck. Only now that there's been a more significant push by Valve to get compatibility working through Proton has Linux become a more viable gaming platform for the average user. Also no, Windows sucks harder, you're better off taking a performance hit than using that turd of an OS.
can someone pls buy me a computer to run this
The game was designed to run on current gen consoles(2013), time to upgrade that computer?
drQvhFv.jpg

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard

You have never used Arch. I bet on it. I am pretty sure you just installed Manjaro and called it "Arch" to pretend to be more knowledgeable than you really are. Most retards do that. Manjaro and the rest are no Arch. Arch users can typically fine-tune their installations to avoid the issues you went into without a fuss.

In any case, yes, some games have poor performance on Linux because the ports are shit. This is not a Linux fault, this is a publisher/porter fault. What you didn't mention though, convienently for you, Microsoft shill, is that there are tons of games that perform BETTER under Linux, and even under WINE, than on Windows. You didn't mention those in your "article" at nvidiashill[ocp]?

Even the thing with Civ V you mention, about using a worse OpenGL so the port can run on Mac as well, you pretend it is a Linux issue.... Who cares about Civ V anyway? A 10 year old game? You can play Civ VI perfectly fine on Linux NOW, with all options enabled, so how about that, you microshill?

A few weeks ago i installed the Wolfenstein New Order and Old Blood games from GOG, under WINE. Guess what faggot, they literally ran at around 50%-100% more performance than on Windows, on my AMD gpu. They are opengl games and no "translation" is needed, and the MESA OpenGL drivers are too awesome right now for AMD, especially if you turn on GL THREADING. It went so smooth and trouble-free i was shocked, i had a vastly better experience than on Windows on the same hardware. How about that you punk, why not talk about that?

Why not mention the recent benchmarks which show that even Red Dead Redemption 2 runs faster on Linux under WINE, than on Windows 10? How about that you punk?

I am tired of shill-cucks who bash Linux. Go give all your data to Bill Gates and don't forget the mark of the beast vaccine, sheeple.

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
This is absolutely not true. People are still having issues with their drivers to this day. Especially in Japanese games. I've probably spent more time this year helping people with issues with AMD cards than I have playing games myself and it's only been a few months since the last huge driver debacle that had people flooding reddit with complaints. If you think they haven't had problems for years you haven't been paying attention.

Here's a couple of links to support my point:

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...ng-black-screen-driver-issues-on-radeon-cards

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/radeon-big-navi-driver-issues-fix

I can't stand nvidia shills. I just can't. Do you want us to pull the relatively recent links with Nvidia drivers that literally fried gpus? Do you?

Historically Nvidia has had much more serious issues with their shitty drivers, they are just swept under the carpet because Nvidia has a large "marketing budget", if you know what i mean. On the other hand, any tiny AMD driver issue is getting blown way out of porportion in order to reinforce the myth that AMD drivers are bad. I have been using AMD hardware for many years now, both on Linux and on Windows, and i never had an issue with the Windows drivers. Not an issue at all. The only issue on Windows are the OpenGL drivers of AMD which kinda suck, but OpenGL games are too few so it is not really noticeable. Especially now that OpenGL is irrelevant and everything is either D3D or Vulkan.

Hell, Nvidia even managed to bury "Bumpgate", one of the worst scandals ever in the tech industry. They literally sold a broken generation of gpus for more than a year, gpus that were meant to fail in 1-2 years depending on the usage. This was not some "faulty line" or "errata", this was literally bad material that could never last for more than a couple of years, on every gpu sold. Google "bumpgate" to learn about it. Nvidia never paid for this. I have met many people in real life with broken laptops from this shit. It was so widespread at the time, but people thought that it was just their machine, they didn't think that it was garbage nvidia gpus. They didn't know because "strangely" the tech press ignored this huge scandal. If they can ignore something like this, tells you everything you need to know about what company has the worse drivers. Media will never report on Nvidia problems because Nvidia pays the bills.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
It is not linux that sucks. Millennial devs suck.

Perkel

Arcane

It is not just Linux that sucks but OpenGL that sucks. Shitload of developers complained for years that OpenGL is garbage that can't be used in professional work at same level DX can be and it is so old in its structure that it is hard to even work with it after you try something modern like DX11. There are few studios that keep lights on like ID but they are far in between and mostly consisting of geeks rather than normal devs.

Only reason OpenGL is even used in modern gaming is that Nvidia wrote bunch of extensions where they hijack all heavy lifting from OpenGL to their extensions. If you want to know how OpenGL works without those extension you can use AMD card on windows. About 20-30% slower in OpenGL because AMD doesn't use such extensions as they follow OpenGL standard with drivers.

This is why i was initially very happy about Vulcan. Because it did what OpenGL didn't. It was innovative. Problem is that i see it going again way of OpenGL where they started to follow DX and its features rather than be innovative. So the initial Vulcan was more of a product of AMD and Frostbite devs rather than effort to create modern better API that will lead with innovation.

But at least Vulcan is not designed as high level API like OpenGL so it could be modified to liking which is big + for big studios.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
The point I was trying to make is that the user experience for gamers on Linux sucks. It doesn't matter who's fault it is and 99% of users don't know or care about that stuff. All that matters is that using Linux sucks. Its fine if you're a grandma who only surfs the web or a sysadmin doing sysadmin stuff. If you're a power user who plays games or does certain other complicated things then Linux sucks for you. A lot. I've used Linux on and off since 2003 and it still sucks. Its gotten better in some ways, but its still shit.

Melcar

Arcane
An OS is a tool. So either you just don't know how to use the tool or it simply does not help you with your particular problems/needs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom