Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Is playing old consoles like Sega Gen, N64 acceptable?

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO YOUR LACK OF NUANCE OR SHADES OF GREY OR ANY SORT OF DISCRETION HAS RENDERED YOUR COMMENTARY POINTLESS A BOT WOULD OFFER AS MUCH CONSTRUCTIVE COMMENTARY

NOT TO MENTUION AN ALMOST NONEXISTENT CONTRIBUTION OF POSITIVE CONTENT ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO RPGS

MetalCraze

Arcane
Bro it's not my fault you see me bashing some complete shit and then go make 10 posts about how I totally hate everything and it's either shit or not shit for me.

I admit it's kinda funny to read "myths" about me even though I'm one of the few here who actually can compare bad and good sides of games. Imbeciles like you who don't know anything about shades of grey will of course go personal and cry huge fanboy tears when I bash some shit IGN declares GOTY.

I dared to compare a shit shooter to a mediocrity? Well that totally means that I hate everything and hold mediocrity as a standard - doesn't that fuck Skyway know anything about shades of grey?!

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
ROFL

Part of the appeal of the game lies in the control of these auxiliary vehicles. The player can, if desired, have all four Mantas and all four Walruses out of the carrier at once, and can pilot each personally, or program each to travel to a specific location (none of the vehicles can be programmed to perform attack or defence functions). Once arrived, a Walrus will simply wait.

What grand strategy indeed. The ability to move up to 8 units around before you play an action game with them. No resources or currency involved. I know when I think 'RTS' I think of the ability to send a few units to go wait somewhere. I think this means Oblivion is an RTS. Pretty sure you had the ability to do that with some NPCs.

:thumbsup:

Every console has some great games, get over it (perhaps not the Xbox serie because it only has badly-ported PC games or shitty games badly-ported to PC but then how should I know, I never owned a Xbox).

PS1 had some great weird games like the King's Field serie (don't know why but I loved the atmosphere even if the games were really really badly optimized). N64 had Majora Mask, a fucking masterpiece. PS2 had Ico. Don't know about PS3 or GC, Wii but I'm sure that there are some great games there also. I could go on for hours about great games on console even though I largely prefer PC games.

Of course, you can't have an Ultima V on console and consoles drag down PC games nowadays so as they can be played via a pad, herp derp thanks Captain Obvious. But then, there are still some awesome unique games on all consoles.

made

Arcane
Every console for which there is a working emulator is all right in my book.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Man, NES was the shit back in the early 90's in here. Sadly, I don't have it anymore, but hey, emulators ;) .

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - I loved that game as a kid (and still love it to this day). The graphics were great, music was wonderful, exploration was so rewarding and minigames were great. Man, I miss that game. Hell, I might even do a LP sometime.

Also Alien 3. I know it got crappy reviews, but there was something in it that made me unable to hate this game. And the music man, the music.

Mortmal

Arcane
barker_s said:
Man, NES was the shit back in the early 90's in here. Sadly, I don't have it anymore, but hey, emulators ;) .

Fantastic Adventures of Dizzy - I loved that game as a kid (and still love it to this day). The graphics were great, music was wonderful, exploration was so rewarding and minigames were great. Man, I miss that game. Hell, I might even do a LP sometime.

Also Alien 3. I know it got crappy reviews, but there was something in it that made me unable to hate this game. And the music man, the music.
But a few pics down you get the superior amiga versions ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbcEO5e8 ... re=related
I think the consoles shined more with exclusive games like zelda on the SNES and landstalker on megadrive, but even if there was crossplatforming it was using each machine at his best.
Back them arcade games, you know some pub games , you were spending ton of coins on them that was the shit .
Altered beast,ghost and goblins, or space harrier , each versions were very differents and not calibered to the lowest machine like today. There's absolutely nothing requiring and high end pc today even a middle range one, PS3 capacities arent used as well.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DamnedRegistrations said:
Errr, what?
[images]
Derp much?
I wasn't just referring to the graphics and I was referring more to the ports of 5-7, but sure, grab that low-hanging fruit.

Oh and just so there's no room for further argument, here read:
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Console_Ports_of_Ultima_IV
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/NES-Port_of_Ultima_V
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/SNES-Port_of_Ultima_VI
http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/SNES-Port_of_Ultima_VII

Now please don't spout bullshit at me again. :)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I am talking to a troll. I never said "all ports are bad."
Trying to port down = shit port, period.
Porting up from a console = not even close to taking full advantage of its capabilities and most times they don't even bother giving you sensible controls.
Neither situation is ideal. Shouldn't be too hard to understand.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
No, you just talked about those 'terrible NES ports' of Ultima. In reply to a post saying that cross platforming has never been the problem. What kind of evil manipulative troll would read 'ports are bad' out of that context.

As far as 'ideal' situations, what do you want, a port from PC to... PC? Would that be ideal? Of course compromises have to be made to release a game on multiple platforms. That's like saying 'Having to butcher meat is messy and can be dangerous. It's not ideal. I prefer meat that is cooked while the animal is still alive then falls off of it onto my plate.'

But please, continue to live in bubble land where everyone owns every platform a game could be built for and has no need of ports, which are clearly unnecessary abominations upon the holy earth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
DamnedRegistrations said:
No, you just talked about those 'terrible NES ports' of Ultima. In reply to a post saying that cross platforming has never been the problem. What kind of evil manipulative troll would read 'ports are bad' out of that context.
You, you would. He used those dumbed down, butchered Ultima ports as an example of how crossplatforming wasn't a problem yet the fact that they were dumbed down and butchered proves they were a problem.
As far as 'ideal' situations, what do you want, a port from PC to... PC?
The ideal would be a drastic reduction in ports so they aren't the vast majority of games being released. If it's exceedingly simple with easy-to-translate controls it's okay to port it.
Of course compromises have to be made to release a game on multiple platforms. That's like saying 'Having to butcher meat is messy and can be dangerous. It's not ideal. I prefer meat that is cooked while the animal is still alive then falls off of it onto my plate.'
No, the true ideal would be abstaining from butchering animals. Funnily enough I haven't eaten meat in years and it's been working out for me just fine.
But please, continue to live in bubble land where everyone owns every platform a game could be built for and has no need of ports, which are clearly unnecessary abominations upon the holy earth.
Yeah, keep misrepresenting my position. :M

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Mortmal said:
Lyric Suite said:
Consoles were fine back when they were a separate entity. Indeed, consoles were never a problem, cross platforming is.
Cross platforming never been the problem , you could find ultima games ported on every media possible, c64 nintendo snes amiga,etc, the problem is mainstreaming and catering to the dumbest casual player. Its possible to do wonderful stuff on consoles, but since the xbox360 you hardly get any sophisticated games.

What you are describing are just ports. That's not what cross platforming is about.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I LOVE WATCHING THE ANGSTY TEENAGE GIRL SHIT HERE

mondblut

Arcane
made said:
Every console for which there is a tolerable game is all right in my book.

Fixed. That leaves two of them, segagen (I think) for Warriors of Eternal Sun and some obscure POS for Order of the Griffon. The rest can die in fire like a popamole consoletard shit they are.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO MIDOL WILL GET YOU THROUGH YOUR PERIOD IT EMBARRASSES EVERYONE WHEN YOU ACT LIKE SKYWAY

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
WHOOPS I MEAN FUCK FAGGY FAGGOT CONSOLE FAGS

Machocruz

Arcane
Does anyone else here like NES sprites? I think they are good enough to represent what you're looking at, but enough simplicity to let your mind extrapolate, fill in the blanks. I often remember some NES games being much more detailed than they actually are.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom