Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is there any game where russians (not the soviets) are the good guys?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Just curious.

I mean russians, not the soviets.

Humanophage

Arcane
Civilization 4 and 5 have unusually peaceful Russian rulers. Catherine the Great is one of the most peaceful and reasonable rulers (not pushy, not mean, not a warmonger). Peter the Great in Civ IV is also OK.

The Vaegirs in M&B seem Russian-like. They seem to be a reasonable faction constantly pestered by the steppe hordes.

Many Russian factions in EU4 have bonuses to trade, industry, and other peaceful endeavours. It also shows nuance rather than lumping all Russians into one Russian blob. They have a nice anti-Tatar tree - everyone hates Turkic barbarians (they're the real prototypal orcs), so having bonuses against them is a good guy thing.

There aren't that many games with Russians rather than Soviets. I'd say the Soviets are demonised a lot less than the Germans. Most of the time, the Russians are just neutral. We do need more games about the civil war where the Russians are pitted against the Soviets with Russians as the good guys.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Why would a game lie in such a gruesome way?

The only possibility for a game to present Russians as the good guys is when Kremlin bankrolls the development.

So, you have to wait for Smuta game.

Problem is, devs most likely pocketed the money from the Kremlin and it's never coming out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Does Kislev from Warhammer Fantasy count?

You need to specify whether you're talking about Russia as a nation or individual Russians. Then there are games that have a civil war between good and bad Russians, like the original Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series.

Azdul

Magister
Karnov and less known - Atomic Runner Chelnov.
Atomic_Runner_Chelnov_arcade_flyer.jpg

Coal miner survives nuclear plant malfunction - gains superhuman abilities due to massive amounts of radiation - and fights evil forces.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
Does Kislev from Warhammer Fantasy count?

You need to specify whether you're talking about Russia as a nation or individual Russians. Then there are games that have a civil war between good and bad Russians, like the original Call of Duty: Modern Warfare series.
>warhammer
No thanks, I'm not a tranny. I'm also aware of gears of duty's russia fetish, and I'm happy with its portrayal of a civilized russia, especially in that airport level. Too often, vidya portrays them as "uh comrade red star lenin our tank you are a true communist we defeated hitler'', and mw updated their image in a way I wish many others would. The sooner we leave that ugly phase behind, the better. Let's be honest, communism isn't cool or sexy. Just wish we had gotten a better game to go along with it.

Or ''A suka blyat soviet union fell I so sad me drink vodka because very depressed mafia sell weapon terrorist steal nuke''. Can't stand that either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom