Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

is there any game where russians (not the soviets) are the good guys?

Vlajdermen

Arcane
How do I put it gently to OP?

Russia (and Ukraine and lots of minor republics) is shit without USSR. In Soviet Russia you glare down at the world, atop your mountain peak of greatness.
If your regime lasts less than 100 years, it's shit.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
capsule_616x353.jpg

But nowadays the idea of playing as a r*ssian seems extra disgusting to me.
Just can't get past that.
...why? Or to be more specific, why "nowadays"?

Falksi

Arcane
Karnov and less known - Atomic Runner Chelnov.
Atomic_Runner_Chelnov_arcade_flyer.jpg

Coal miner survives nuclear plant malfunction - gains superhuman abilities due to massive amounts of radiation - and fights evil forces.
This is also one of the best games ever made for me. The SEGA Megadrive port is a stunning upgrade on the arcade original.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
Why? Being a stereotypical villain is fun. It is like in 1990-s there were a rule where every single war simulation should be Saddam vs Experimental USA weapons\tanks\planes.

Catherine the Great is one of the most peaceful and reasonable rulers (not pushy, not mean, not a warmonger).
Dude, Catherine the Great was Great in no small part because she exterminated crimean tatars - the last raiding\slave economies in the world at that time. She won two Russo-Turkish wars, three Russo-Polish wars and Russo-Swedish war. A prime female extrminator I say.

Humanophage

Arcane
Why? Being a stereotypical villain is fun. It is like in 1990-s there were a rule where every single war simulation should be Saddam vs Experimental USA weapons\tanks\planes.

Catherine the Great is one of the most peaceful and reasonable rulers (not pushy, not mean, not a warmonger).
Dude, Catherine the Great was Great in no small part because she exterminated crimean tatars - the last raiding\slave economies in the world at that time. She won two Russo-Turkish wars, three Russo-Polish wars and Russo-Swedish war. A prime female extrminator I say.
Removing Kebab is the archetypal good guy behaviour, it's basically Tolkien.

That said, I was talking about representation in the game. Whereas in real life Russia was aggressive, expansionist, pushy, and often plain mean, it is pleasant in Civ 5. And it's hard-coded that it is pleasant.

There should be more games about Russians fighting the Great Steppe and smashing coloured hordes (or getting smashed by them to highlight the enmity).
uiRLdVY.png

scale_1200

Last edited:
MGS (unironically): Ocelot is portrayed as a villain in the first game, but through narrative shifts and character development he's portrayed in a more positive light in later entries.

Ladonna

Arcane
If you play the western allied or UN campaign in People's General, Russia is on the allies side against the Chinks.

SixDead

Educated
Gorky-17 aka Odium. But only in Russian version, where localisators changed the plot, characters and other things, and you now play as a good russians

PsihoKekec

Novice
If you like flight sims then Flanker 2.0 would also be a choice, if you can find it and get it to run that is.
T-72 Balkans On Fire had you as a Russian volunteer on Serbian side fighting the evil Croats.

Iucounu

Educated
I know Stalker is Ukrainean, but are there any Russian NPCs in it? Can you tell from names or voice acting?

Lady Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Whereas in real life Russia was aggressive, expansionist, pushy, and often plain mean, it is pleasant in Civ 5. And it's hard-coded that it is pleasant.
In Civ 5 you can randomize the leader personalities before starting a game. Also, there are mods to bring back the USSR too. Probably more aggressive with Stalin.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom