Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Is there any mod that makes Quake 2 not suck?

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Ideally (and this would be accomplishable by just tweaking weapons and giving enemies player-like armour points and types)

There are no damage thresholds in Q2. Only percentage reduction. So start with that.

DraQ

Arcane
Ideally (and this would be accomplishable by just tweaking weapons and giving enemies player-like armour points and types)

There are no damage thresholds in Q2. Only percentage reduction. So start with that.
I don't know how armour mechanics works exacctly in Q2 but there are evidently 3 tiers of armour (+ power shield) that absorb different attacks differently - either completely, partially or not at all. That looks like an obvious and perfectly sufficient thing to do in a game where you fight armoured tincans - give them varying amounts of green, yellow or red armour based on their apparent tankiness.

So for example BRRRAPP!ing tank with CG would force you to chew your way through massive block of red armour in order to get at HPs, while railgun should bypass it completely in the same way blaster bypasses flak jacket (if it doesn't already, I don't remember).

Semiurge

Cipher
As far as Doom 3 engine games goes Prey was the absolute best, it was also traditional but did new things and took the concept new places with super weird levels and enemies and stuff. Too bad the buttheads at Bethesda aren't selling it digitally, so the game is kind of forgotten.

I have a retail DVD-ROM, and some hazy memories of injuns, Blue Öyster Cult, spiritwalking and moving from room to room through slimy, brown, warty buttholes.

:philosoraptor:

Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
3D Realms' Prey was superb. Arkane's Prey reboot... I dunno... so far it's pretty boring. I spent 15 minutes exploring a banal apartment filled with 1 page books, useless junk, a jammed patio door, and everything the PC picked up was like he had both hands in casts. Everything had two options: drop & throw.

Outside the apartment was a corridor leading to an elevator and a locked staircase door. The elevator said (if you can believe it), "My Floor" & "Roof". On the roof was a helicopter. My PC died on the roof. I stopped playing.

Pound Meat

Prophet
I'm currently replaying this for the first time in 20 years and my God this game isn't even halfway as good as the original. I played it for 15 minutes and I already want to uninstall it.

The movement is fucked up. I can't explain it, it just is. It's like there's no friction between the character and the floor.

The weapons feel bad. There's a very tiny delay between pressing the mouse button and when they fire. It's one of those things that you can't help but notice. Is this system related or something? They are also very lame. Like the laser pistol is one of the lamest weapons I've ever encountered in a shooter. The only thing it's good for is as a flash light. I know it's the first weapon but come on! The machine gun has this retarded recoil effect that the developers undoubtedly found "cool" but it's just annoying. It also sounds like pop corn in the microwave oven. Even the shotgun is meh.

That animation that the enemies do when they're about to die got old the second time it happened. It's not cute, it's annoying. You don't pose any threat anymore you stupid NPC, JUST DIE ALREADY! This exacerbates the weapons problem because now the weapons feel even more lame. I appreciate the hard work the artists put in to give them different textures based on how damaged they are, though.

The game is so orange. Normally I love oranges (I just ate one) but this is too much.

The level design is pretty good, I'll admit, but I fear it's not going to be enough if the shooting is so fucked up.

Are there any mods that fix this game? Quake 1 remains a masterpiece to this day. This one? WTF happened???

>Buy a PS1 (PSX for us OGs)
>Buy Quake 2 for PS1
>Put on some Spice Girls to set the mood
>Nothing but win

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Last edited:

Glop_dweller

Prophet
At the time, no; I just moved on to another game.
Now?... Perhaps they have changed—or even fixed it.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Reading this thread reminds me, if you never have tried it I recommend playing Quake 1 with the Quake 2 soundtrack. All you need to do is copy the music files from your Quake 2 installation to your Quake/id1/music folder. Surprisingly some of the sings fit extremely well despite being made for a different type of aesthetic.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Reading this thread reminds me, if you never have tried it I recommend playing Quake 1 with the Quake 2 soundtrack. All you need to do is copy the music files from your Quake 2 installation to your Quake/id1/music folder. Surprisingly some of the sings fit extremely well despite being made for a different type of aesthetic.
Play some fucking Slayer for both, done

Also works for Doom

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

You may find Methods of Destruction interesting then (you can download it here, check the bottom for the DOWNLOAD link), it was an alternative soundtrack for Quake 1 made by Sonic Mayhem which led to him being hired to make the Quake 2 soundtrack. Rename the mp3 files from "01)...", "02)...", etc to "track02.mp3", "track03.mp3", etc (make sure that you add one to the track numbers in the file, so -e.g.- "01)Welcome to Mayhem.mp3" becomes "track02.mp3" since the original track 1 was data and the CD was meant to be used as a drop-in replacement for the Quake CD).

This soundtrack starts with a more ambient tone closer to Quake 1's original soundtrack but picks up speed by level 3.

DraQ

Arcane
I can play Quake 1 for hours; I have played it for 24 hours straight, before.

Quake 2 gives me motion/simulator sickness within a matter of minutes; painful headaches, and nausea.
I have never played past the first ten to fifteen minutes of the game.

Valestein:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulator_sickness
https://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/h...cybersickness-video-games/article33962448.ece
https://injury.research.chop.edu/blog/posts/understanding-simulator-sickness

;)
OTOH it is entirely possible that it's just Q2 making you queasy.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom