Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Is Tides of Numenera the video game equivalent of an ice-flavored popsicle?

El Presidente

Arcane
Nobody loves it, nobody passionately hates it, nobody talks about it, nobody mentions it, nobody remembers it. It has no footprint on the Codex or elsewhere for that matter, be it good or bad. It's like there was never even an attempt on a PS:T (spiritual?) successor. That's pretty sad.

ds

Cipher
Patron
No, it's more like a turd-flavored popsicle. Plain ice would at least be enjoyable during summer.

It's like there was never even an attempt on a PS:T (spiritual?) successor.
There wasn't, only an attempt to sell an unrelated game as one.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It got plenty of hate during its development and shortly afterwards, but then people moved on. I think Disco Elysium showed that "Yeah, you actually can do this, I guess those guys just fucked up".

Gandalf

Arbiter
They Cooked a rather boring game with it's weird visual setting being one of the strongest reasons to play the game. I liked some quests and locations in it, but there's nothing to write home about.

goregasm

Scholar
I didn't despise it, but I also didn't particularly love it or hold it against it's supposed predecessor.

Not the absolute worst pile I shit I have ever stepped in, can name at least 5 other rpgs I would pass on to play this if torture were involved.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Planescape Torment was an unmitigated dumpsterfire egoproject by Avellone. It had nothing to do with Planescape and everything to do with sub-par modern fantasy fiction. Walking simulator in 2D written by a man who didn't understand the source material.

Granted that wasn't exactly easy, but it doesn't mean you have to give up and go "oh well I'll just write my own shit then".

Making a "spiritual sequel" to a sup-par modern fantasy fiction is not going to excite a lot of people.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Nobody loves it, nobody passionately hates it, nobody talks about it, nobody mentions it, nobody remembers it. It has no footprint on the Codex or elsewhere for that matter, be it good or bad. It's like there was never even an attempt on a PS:T (spiritual?) successor. That's pretty sad.
I PASSIONATELY hated it through like 2017 to 2019. Scarred.

I tried it out. I wandered around the first town after the tutorial area, but didn't get into it. The writing was overwrought, and the "anything goes" setting is a bit too alien for me I think. Hypertech mixed in with prehistory style vendor markets didn't mix. Its still installed and I would like to give it a fair shake, but it's a very low priority.

I played it when it came out, made it to the Bloom, and just... stopped. I didn't hate it, I just lost all motivation to continue. I'm not even sure why.

The setting is not a setting. It's an anti-setting. No delimitation, no specificity. AND SUPPOSEDLY THAT IS THE SELLING POINT!!! PURE DOGSHIT!!!!
"What can change the nature of a man?" from planescape was a compelling theme and question. "What does one life matter" is libtardian humanist dogshite. If you are a libtardian you get to jack yourself about how every nigro aids baby is sacred, if you are not... then it's a boring dumbfuck question.

Like, if you answer the Planescape question with "Nothing can change the nature of a man", that is STILL AN INTERESTING ANSWER!!!
If you answer "what does one life matter" in the negative you say "Not very much, or only relative to a particular time and place..." MEH. BOOOORING!!!!

Also, since i played it before coming to this forum, I can confirm that the hamfisted "hopw reowur ne", "Face that never remembered", and "incline/decline" references DID NOT STAND OUT AT ALL FROM THE REST OF THE WRITING. IT SEEMED A NORMAL PART OF THE GAME WORLD.
:prosper::prosper::prosper::prosper:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom