Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Is Troika Dead?

Fez

Erudite
The majority of newspapers and TV brodcasts just copy it uncredited from each other.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Here's more information on how many frames per second a human eye can perceive:
http://www.daniele.ch/school/30vs60/30vs60_3.html
http://www.100fps.com/how_many_frames_c ... ns_see.htm

So what is the answer to how many frames per second should we be looking for? Anything over 60 fps is adequate, 72 fps is maximal (anything over that would be overkill). Framerates cannot drop though from that 72 fps, or we will start to see a degradation in the smoothness of the game. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad to play a game at 30 fps, it is fine, but to get the illusion of reality, you really need a frame rate of 72 fps. What this does is saturate the pipeline from your eyes to your visual cortex, just as reality does. As visual quality increases, it really becomes more important to keep frame rates high so we can get the most immersive feel possible. While we still may be several years away from photographic quality in 3D accelerators, it is important to keep the speed up there.

These days, anything under 60fps is pretty unacceptable.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Exitium make stuff up? That's proposterous! I supposed the next wild, baseless accusation you're going to make is that rabbits make lots of baby rabbits or that clouds bring rain as if those were foregone conclusions!

We'll see what 'wild baseless accusations' I made when Troika reveals that they did in fact, fire their Bloodlines team. Nevermind that people have already verified that, right, Saint?

Seven

Erudite
Exitium said:
Saint_Proverbius said:
Exitium make stuff up? That's proposterous! I supposed the next wild, baseless accusation you're going to make is that rabbits make lots of baby rabbits or that clouds bring rain as if those were foregone conclusions!

We'll see what 'wild baseless accusations' I made when Troika reveals that they did in fact, fire their Bloodlines team. Nevermind that people have already verified that, right, Saint?

I don't see too many people disputing that (except of course no one got fired; they were laid off. Big difference in terms of employment, but the result is the same). It's the other stuff that you made up. I can post at least half a dozen quotes from this thread alone.

Too bad this isn't like the gong show...

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"except of course no one got fired; they were laid off. Big difference in terms of employment, but the result is the same"

Theyw ere laid off the same as the BIS/Interplay em,ployees were. ie. Shitcanned, fired, poo poo, thrown in the dumpster, etc., etc.

Laid off is a nice way of telling someone they ar eno longer needed.

Troika: We don't need ya anymore.

Ex Employee Losers: Ok.

Week Later: Employee gets no paycheck. Game over. He is now an uemployed BUM.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Why the hell are people gloating about this company's possible demise? I still don't fucking get where all this hatred comes from.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"Why the hell are people gloating about this company's possible demise? I still don't fucking get where all this hatred comes from."

Same place where all the hatred, and gloating came from with Interplay's demise.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Honestly, my understanding all the hate for IPLY was meant more for Caen as he bled the company dry and made it a mockery of what it once had been.

Fez

Erudite
There isn't hatred of the company, just a jab at the fans of that company. The line gets a bit blurred, but that is where the fun comes from!

errorcode

Liturgist
Hopefully, we hear some sort of announcement from Troika soon. I can't help but hope for the best.

Stark

Liturgist
Volourn said:
"except of course no one got fired; they were laid off. Big difference in terms of employment, but the result is the same"

Theyw ere laid off the same as the BIS/Interplay em,ployees were. ie. Shitcanned, fired, poo poo, thrown in the dumpster, etc., etc.

Laid off is a nice way of telling someone they ar eno longer needed.

Troika: We don't need ya anymore.

Ex Employee Losers: Ok.

Week Later: Employee gets no paycheck. Game over. He is now an uemployed BUM.

no. there's a big difference between being laid off and fired. Even you know it, Volourn, so do not lie.

Fez

Erudite
It's like the difference between an honorable and dishonorable discharge in the army.

POOPERSCOOPER

Prophet
Exitium said:
Fez is exactly right on the money. Some of you need to stop taking it so personally.

LLOL

Who is the one arguing to the death about how Troika sucks cock? THE SAME COCK U USED TO SUCK!!!

Stark

Liturgist
errorcode said:
fired = You screwed up
Laid off = The company screwed up

actually there's more. Someone who's fired will have hell of a tougher time getting rehired compare to someone who's laid off, given that PC Gaming industry is small and words got around easily.

and in many countries the compensation for someone who's laid off is significantly more. I believe it should be the case for US too.

and finally the bit that Fez said. It makes a lot of difference to one's self confidence between being laid off and fired.

DarkSign

Erudite
There is a huge difference between being laid off and being fired, whether it helps Exit's position or not.

Take the Air Craft controller industry...

or the Waste management industry...

or the Automotive industry...

there are huge layoffs and their employees come back...that doesnt mean that the whole company goes under.

And Exit, you shouldnt start backtracking now...you have taken glee...thats right GLEE...in the news and now you want people to lay off you for expressing happiness at someone elses demise?

If you cant take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

I wonder if a family member of yours got hurt and passersby just laughed how you would feel.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Bah. Fired, and laid off are the same. Other than MINOR quibbles; the bottom line is that you are jobless now. You no longer get the MOOLAH. You are now a B U M.

M0rphz0rz

Novice
Exitium said:
Fez is exactly right on the money. Some of you need to stop taking it so personally.

You keep repeating (over and over) how shitty Troika's games are. Is it really so hard to understand that this personal crusade of yours might irk the so-called fanboys?

Besides, you more or less admitted that you're provoking them deliberately (a practice also referred to as trolling). Then why are you so surprised at being flamed? Come on, Rex, you're enjoying yourself, aren't you?

Yeah, Troika's games are buggy. You've made your point and proven it. More power to you. I am somewhat pissed off by their lack of support, too. Nevertheless, a lot of people have enjoyed, and still enjoy these games. I'd like to see a sequel to ToEE, despite its bugginess. The turn-based combat was just that brilliant. Alas, it will probably never happen. Troika's management fucked up big time, and now the employees have to pay the price. Schadenfreude is completely out of place here.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
the bottom line is that you are jobless now. You no longer get the MOOLAH. You are now a B U M.
Thats what Stark and errorcode said, Volourn. You just simplified it. Sure laid off and fired have the same bottom line, noone discuses that.

If you simplify everything, you lose the precious nuances (did I spell right?). Its the same as rounding up float numbers to integers - you lose information. 5,01234455 and 5 is pretty much the same number, though, in some cases that 01234455 part becomes really important.

EDIT:
Actually I agree pretty much with that guy who has Panda in his avatar, but whos nickname I cannot remember, plus, since I am editing my post, I am unable to look under and read it.

So, yes, who cares is Troika good or bad company, Troika's games good or bad? They are played by people, and enjoyed. There are tons of people who dont notice bugs, so there are no bugs for them. You cannot blame them producing shallow games, either. Is it Arcanum, ToEE or Bloodlines - yes, games may have major flaws, but they are made in right direction - there are multiple solutions, there is well elaborated world behind, stats do matter in dialogues, quests, combat, you have choice and so on. This all is good, isnt it? I am not saying BW games suck, no they dont, they are pretty good, actually, though the direction they have taken is much different than Troika's. I am not saying Troika > Bioware, no, I say both companies should produce games since there are players who love as BW games, as Troika games.

If some of you dont like Troika games, hate Troika games, found them stupid and shallow - then maybe dont try to convince people who have oposite point of view since it is a pretty stupid thing to do - its about the choice, again.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"If some of you dont like Troika games, hate Troika games, found them stupid and shallow - then maybe dont try to convince people who have oposite point of view since it is a pretty stupid thing to do - its about the choice, again."

A. I only hate one Troika game.

B. As for trying to convicne others.. well .. isn't that's what everyone pretty much does on the net. Why elese do we get all these 'BIO games are stupid and those who like them are stupid' threads/posts around ehre?

The difference here is poor Troika is being kicked on.

btw, I'm not really enjoying Troika's possible collapse. however, there's an evil part of me whose enjoying poor little Codex reaction to the possible bad news. Its erves them all right for their reaction towards Interplay's fall.

Espicialy since all the exuse for why it's NOT Troika's fault is amusing. Oh, it's the player's fault for being stupid, oh, it's the publisher's fault for not supporting the games, oh, the only mistake that Troika made was their games are too 'hardcore'. All three of thsoe statements are simply wrong, wrong, wrong.

It's almost Poetic Justice.

Muahahaha!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Volourn said:
btw, I'm not really enjoying Troika's possible collapse. however, there's an evil part of me whose enjoying poor little Codex reaction to the possible bad news. Its erves them all right for their reaction towards Interplay's fall.
Volly, we've had our differences and disagreements, but this crap is beyond stupid. Iply was an empty shell of a company stripped of its divisions, founders, licenses, and employees. It was a company that canned its RPG department JUST BECAUSE, canned 2 highly anticipated games JUST BECAUSE, and funnelled tons of money to Titus just because it could. This is not the same as Troika's situation, so kindly shut the fuck up.

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
Exitium said:
These days, anything under 60fps is pretty unacceptable.
I find it funny when people make posts such as these. It's not really founded in any reality. You know those console games that people so often play. The devs try to go for around 30fps. So suddenly all those games (which make up the majority of games) are unacceptable. Then look at the fact that say a game such as Doom 3 has a maximum framerate of 60fps. So suddenly if you aren't playing at the maximum framerate you = suX0rz!

Give me a break!

As for this whole Troika thing. You brought it on yourself. I've been trying to stay out of the discussion (in fact I haven't read many posts after the 10th page or so, I just got so tired of it). Yeah, I said Troika fucked up the management; I whole heartedly believe that. Am I happy that they might be disperesed to find jobs seperate from each other; no! I think they were a very creative bunch that were simply mismanaged. As I said, if they had a veteran studio manager or were acquired by a company that could provide one, I think Troika could be one of the best companies.

When you talk about how you enjoyed the first part of Bloodlines for the roleplaying and then say the ENTIRE game sucked because the last part turned into an action game (or any number of small annoyances), then you are missing the entire point. Had they been properly managed the whole game would have been as good as the first two hubs. That's probably what they intended all along. You can't possibly believe that they intended for the game to go from good to bad like that. It's because they ran out of time and had to rush; linear combat is easier than introducing choices. So despite your claims of hatred for Troika, you do tend to like the vision of the games they have. You just get caught up in the fact that they are too ambitious and suddenly you hate them. Then you sit here and troll about it.

Once again, you brought it upon yourself. So pulling that bullshit of changing ranks was definitely uncalled for. People have insulted you much worse than anything that Avé ever said to earn that rank. You just found that you were losing the discussion and wanted to backlash. Then with changing Role Player's rank as well; give me a fucking break. Then you wonder why people are pissed off. YOU BRING THIS SHIT UPON YOURSELF!

Now you want to say that people are being unreasonable, while you are the one acting like a moron. Only someone with a skewed persepective could even begin to act like you are: denying reality. I believe it's called temporary insanity. I just hope it ends soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom