Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IT IS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT 3

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
MLMarkland said:
Melee-attack auto-hitting torso and only torso. Oh god, it's heavan.

fixed.

Sarvis

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Darth Roxor said:
So once we changed VATS melee to "always hit"

we changed VATS melee to "always hit"

VATS melee to "always hit"

"Apparently, Oblivion no longer uses an abstracted "to-hit" model based on your character's skills, so you won't have the frustrating problem of stabbing your sword right through an enemy's face, yet having that swing register as a "miss"."

We don't want to frustrate ADD kids, do we?

Right, because anyone who expects what they saw happen to match what actually happened must have ADD. :roll:

If you're going to have an action based combat system, then go for it. That half-assed Morrowind shit sucked, because I still had to play like an action game but X% of the time the game decided I missed anyway.

It's one or the other, really.

It's funny though, they've confirmed that F3 will allow multiple paths through the game and allow you to play different types of characters... but all the Hivemind can do is bitch about a minor aspect of the combat system.

Calis

Pensionado
Brother None said:
Well, it doesn't really matter what option you pick, dialogue will pretty much go in the same direction regardless.

That's pretty revolutionary.
You're underestimating the revolution, comrade - in some cases, the two options will make your guy say the exact same thing. If that's not a prime example of out-of-the-box thinking, I don't know what is.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
If you're going to have an action based combat system, then go for it. That half-assed Morrowind shit sucked, because I still had to play like an action game but X% of the time the game decided I missed anyway.

I didn't mind the combat system in Morrowind

It's funny though, they've confirmed that F3 will allow multiple paths through the game and allow you to play different types of characters... but all the Hivemind can do is bitch about a minor aspect of the combat system.

You call auto-hitting a MINOR aspect of the combat system in something that is supposed to be an RPG? Even more than that, something that is supposed to be a successor to the totally stat-driven Fallout?

Topher

Cipher
You call auto-hitting a MINOR aspect of the combat system in something that is supposed to be an RPG? Even more than that, something that is supposed to be a successor to the totally stat-driven Fallout?

In most JRPG's, which I know are hated around here (there not my favorite either), you hardly ever miss when attacking. So a game can still be an RPG with this sort of combat system... it doesn't make for a good Fallout game though.

Also, I loved Morrowind combat system; it was fully stat-driven and worked great. The animation didn't bother me at all because that's not what the game was about, it was about great gameplay.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Is anyone seriously thinking of playing this piece of shit? I have no interest in Fallout 3 anymore.

To quote volly IT IS DEAD TO ME!!

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
In most JRPG's, which I know are hated around here (there not my favorite either), you hardly ever miss when attacking.

Lumpy

Arcane
I don't think hitting should have a chance, but rather that there should be a chance to dodge based on some skill. If one person swings a sword at another, unless that one is a skilled acrobat I doubt he'd actually be able to dodge.
Of course, if both have melee weapons they can parry.

Topher

Cipher
WhiskeyWolf, why the emphasis on my quote. I understand the hardly and never are not the same thing but in some JRPG's you only miss 1 out of every 50 attacks, it might as well be never.

Sarvis

Erudite
Darth Roxor said:
Sarvis said:

I didn't mind the combat system in Morrowind

I thought RPGs were about roleplaying and being able to make decisions?

Was I wrong? :twisted:

Sarvis

Erudite
Topher said:

In most JRPG's, which I know are hated around here (there not my favorite either), you hardly ever miss when attacking. So a game can still be an RPG with this sort of combat system... it doesn't make for a good Fallout game though.

Also, I loved Morrowind combat system; it was fully stat-driven and worked great. The animation didn't bother me at all because that's not what the game was about, it was about great gameplay.

Entirely stat driven? That's interesting, because I tended to miss a lot when I was trying to aim at an enemy. In fact, ranged weapons were nearly useless to me because my aim sucked. Not my character's aim, MY aim.

That's not stat driven.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sarvis said:
I thought RPGs were about roleplaying and being able to make decisions?

Was I wrong? :twisted:

Then you should have said "Bitch about such a minor aspect as the combat system" not "a minor aspect of the combat system" because when talking about RPGs, these are two different things, since right now, you are talking about the "general thought" behind the RPGs, while before you were talking about the details.

Sarvis

Erudite
Frankly, melee combat IS a minor part of a combat system where you'll mostly be using guns. It's like whining that the chainsaw in doom is overpowered...

The point still stands that when something important to the Hivemind was confirmed along with a minor detail that isn't important, they focused on the negative just to have something to bitch about.

Topher

Cipher
In fact, ranged weapons were nearly useless to me because my aim sucked. Not my character's aim, MY aim.

You got me there... that is all very true. In Morrowind the AI had crazy path-finding sometimes and they would be a bitch to hit with ranged attacks when that happened but most of the time then ran in a straight-line right at you. I'm not sure how your aim can suck that bad, unless you had only played the game a few hours. My aim with ranged weapons was a little off at first but I had no problems aiming after my first few days with the game. You are still correct though, player-skill did have an effect, a very minor effect. You could miss in close-combat by staring at the ground as well but who does that? I still really enjoyed the combat and though the system worked really well for a FPS/RPG. Better then always hitting in close-combat because the developer is too lazy to refine their broken combat system but Bethesda has always been lazy.

Their reason for not having ball and chain weapons in Morrowind was that they were too hard to animate properly...WTF?!? They animate everything like shit. I doubt anybody would notice one more piece of shitty animation.

Sarvis said:
The point still stands that when something important to the Hivemind was confirmed along with a minor detail that isn't important, they focused on the negative just to have something to bitch about.

This is Bethesda...and they're already contradicting each other with this new statement.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brother None said:
Well, it doesn't really matter what option you pick, dialogue will pretty much go in the same direction regardless.

That's pretty revolutionary.
Nah, Monkey Island featured that already, which is kind of confusing. Which is more like Monkey Island now, Mass Effect or Bethout?

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Topher said:
WhiskeyWolf, why the emphasis on my quote. I understand the hardly and never are not the same thing but in some JRPG's you only miss 1 out of every 50 attacks, it might as well be never.
You nailed the point but why this "it might as well be never", but it's not.

WhiskeyWolf

Staff Member
Darth Roxor said:
WhiskeyWolf said:
Claw said:
MLMarkland said:
Melee-attack auto-hitting arm and leg. Oh god, it's heavan.
How unprofessional.
Very Codex-like.
And the Codex is a prestigious magazine which means that such statements actually are proffesional.
So it's a paradox? The Codex is a Paradox?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom