Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IT IS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT 3

MLMarkland

Arcane
Developer
Claw said:
MLMarkland said:
Melee-attack auto-hitting arm and leg. Oh god, it's heavan.
How unprofessional.

:DeclineOfTheGamingIndustry:

On the subject at hand, I think it's always best to wait and see how something plays and approach it with an open mind -- stuff that can sound great on paper can wind up being not fun at all and stuff that sounds weird can wind up being fun. Reception of a form of gameplay depends greatly on the context and execution as well as on the audience and how each member of said audience approaches the game.

Thrasher

Erudite
Yes, if the intended audience is kiddies that like pseudo RPG action games that their parents would never approve of them playing, then Fallout 3 seems to fit the bill.

/Sarcasm off

The "mature" content just seems inconsistent with brain-dead infantile gameplay, if it's for kids.

If it sells, then it will be a sad reflection on the audience.

Sarvis

Erudite
RainSong said:
Sarvis you seriously need to work on your trolling skillz, cause now you're just embarrassing yourself.

Not a troll, sorry!

The Hivemind is just a constant source of amusement.

Topher

Cipher
Yeah, because only missing every five hours of gameplay isn't anything like being unable to miss at all.

RainSong

Scholar
Sarvis said:
RainSong said:
Sarvis you seriously need to work on your trolling skillz, cause now you're just embarrassing yourself.

Not a troll, sorry!

You're saying that you seriously believe "F3 will allow multiple paths through the game"? And you consider it true only because Pete Hines said it?

Then you sir are a dumbfuck.

elander_

Arbiter
Sure. We recently had someone play through the game and finish it while only killing one thing very early in the game...a Radroach. I'm not saying I recommend everyone run out and try to play the game as a pacifist, but if you want to give it a try, it has been done.

If this is really true then it would be a good sign. I wonder what skills are required to beat the game this way.

What i am afraid of is the habit of Bethesda to abuse exploits like unlimited health through potions and make a mindless game even if you would like it to be a tad difficult or make you pause for a few seconds to think what's the best or least damaging answer.

And failure intolerance, that is greatly annoying that you are not supposed to fail any quest even if your character choice dictates that some quests will be impossible for your skills. Make it fun to recover from failure and avoid linearity and then you don't have to worry with failure. As long as there are enough opportunities to use each skill the player can play the way he likes for his character and enjoy npc reactions.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
this news may have excited me at a time where i'd never seen a playthrough, a single screenshot, or read a single word of Todd/Pete-speak.

hmmm, this news may have excited me about 3 years ago.

Sarvis

Erudite
RainSong said:
Sarvis said:
RainSong said:

Not a troll, sorry!

You're saying that you seriously believe "F3 will allow multiple paths through the game"? And you consider it true only because Pete Hines said it?

Then you sir are a dumbfuck.

Whether it's true or not, you've almost all ignored the part that should be important to you. You know, if this site was actually about enjoying games rather than bitching and whining about them.

Shoelip

Arbiter
What exactly is there to talk about? How Pete and Todd are known to tell outright lies about their games?

Morbe

Novice
Wouldn't surprise me if that "It's possible to totally avoid combat in fallout 3" statement was just a plain lie :(

Edit: Meh, didn't read the above post :P

Sarvis

Erudite
Shoelip said:
What exactly is there to talk about? How Pete and Todd are known to tell outright lies about their games?

Well, yeah actually. Look, if you guys really cared about what you say you do there would have been a slew of "wow that'd be nice, too bad we can't trust them to be telling the truth! Remember when you could actually do that in Fallout?"

Instead we get "Oh noes!!1! Melee is autohit! I is sad now."

Shoelip

Arbiter
So we should pointlessly complain about the fact that they're probably lying instead of pointlessly complaining that they have screwed up the combat system even more... Well... I'm not sure I disagree, but it seems kind of silly to be arguing about which pointless statement we should make...

By the way guys, there's another Fallout 3 hands on on Gamespot apparently. I haven't looked at it.

Sarvis said:
Well, yeah actually. Look, if you guys really cared about what you say you do there would have been a slew of "wow that'd be nice, too bad we can't trust them to be telling the truth! Remember when you could actually do that in Fallout?"

That's because we all did that in the first thread.

You should know every newspost comes first from General RPG Discussion.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
FurryMarineWolf.jpg

Shoelip

Arbiter
About time. What is that? A furry space marine? God that is backwards.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
On a good note. Finally the game with a great feature of possibility 'to totally avoid combat' will soon see a light of the day. Adhaira may rejoice.

Shoelip

Arbiter
Whatever happened to 'slaughter everything that's not like us'?

denizsi

Arcane
Bethesda isn't lying! You will be able to play as a pacifist, making yourself hundreds of stimpacks and constantly using them to stay alive whenever you're hurt. You couldn't do that in F1/2. F3 is gonna be hardcore.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
Frankly, melee combat IS a minor part of a combat system where you'll mostly be using guns. It's like whining that the chainsaw in doom is overpowered...

The point still stands that when something important to the Hivemind was confirmed along with a minor detail that isn't important, they focused on the negative just to have something to bitch about.

qfe

Given the choice between having targeted melee shots - an aspect of combat I rarely used in the original games and doubt I'll use much in this one - together with a main quest that requires combat, or losing the melee shots but apparently having a pacifist route through the game, I'd choose the latter in a heartbeat.

Yes, it'd be nice to have both, but one is minor compared to the other. On balance, surely, this is good news?

EDIT: I note that the quote says 'without KILLING anything'. If I were cynical, I might suggest that this means you still have to fight stuff, but only to the point that they run away or yield (both possibilites I believe are in the game). The tutorial section might include a mock fight as well where you don't actually kill your opponent. Hm.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
IMPROTANT QUESTION: If we are to assume that Beth is lying about the on combat way to get through the game is it not safe to assume they are also lying about melee being autohit...

Or is it only okay to believe them to be telling the truth or lying whenever it is convienent to support an already made up opinion?

R00fles!

Codexian Butthurt!!

L0LLIGAGZ!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom