Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview IT IS POSSIBLE TO TOTALLY AVOID COMBAT IN FALLOUT 3

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Combat to always hit is very beth-like feature.
Rat diplomacy is not.
R00fles.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
So... what youa re saying it really doens't matter what Beth says. You believe what you want to believe, and they lie when what they say disproves what you believe and they tell the truth when it conviently backs up your claims.

That's cool.

Codexian Butthurtz it is.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
MLMarkland said:
On the subject at hand, I think it's always best to wait and see how something plays and approach it with an open mind
Dude, no! How are we supposed to be all smug and self-satisfied and shout "We called it!" when we don't form our opinion way ahead of the release?

Sarvis said:
Whether it's true or not, you've almost all ignored the part that should be important to you. You know, if this site was actually about enjoying games rather than bitching and whining about them.
It isn't however, and who are you to say what we should care about?

Longshanks

Augur
It's not about calling outright lie on the claim. It is just that there are so many cheap practically non-viable ways this could be achieved, that the simple claim means little. As someone mentioned, there are ways to play Oblivion with minimal kills. It has also been stated many times by both Emil and Todd that killing is necessary.

The existence of a "no kills" path in the original Fallout was not its most important non-combat aspect, and was possibly accidental. The great thing about the game was that many quests, especially critical path quests had non-combat resolutions. It was this approach to quest design that made the diplomatic and even no-kill paths viable and satisfying.

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Volourn said:
So... what youa re saying it really doens't matter what Beth says.
Yes. I believe in word only from somebody who says truth most often. And when the fact is really believable. Best if person backed his words with some evidence.

Volourn said:
You believe what you want to believe, and they lie when what they say disproves what you believe and they tell the truth when it conviently backs up your claims.
No, Volourn. I believe what I see. Because they had never shown any dialogue screenshots, not provided us with any good quest so far. I onlt saw video of combat. And saw screenshots of supermutants and ghouls. Or that was orks and zombies? Frankly, I cannot tell.

Sarvis

Erudite
Longshanks said:
It's not about calling outright lie on the claim. It is just that there are so many cheap practically non-viable ways this could be achieved, that the simple claim means little. As someone mentioned, there are ways to play Oblivion with minimal kills. It has also been stated many times by both Emil and Todd that killing is necessary.

The existence of a "no kills" path in the original Fallout was not its most important non-combat aspect, and was possibly accidental. The great thing about the game was that many quests, especially critical path quests had non-combat resolutions. It was this approach to quest design that made the diplomatic and even no-kill paths viable and satisfying.

How does the existence of a "no kills" path not indicate that there will be non-combat resolutions to quests?

Of course there'll be non-conflict resolutions in the game, who needs to kill to have a fed ex quest?

Shannow

Waster of Time
It is ok for Volly to believe them. It makes it easier for others to always take the opposite of Volly's position and probably be right.
Volly doesn't see the difference between a gameplay element that is either there or not and something abstract that they can always claim you were simply unable to find.

I agree with sarvis that in an action game every action you see on screen should have consequences. So hitting someone and seeing the punch connect should always mean it connected. One of the reasons Beth should have either sticked with turn-based or put some thought into how increasing a stat in rt combat would affect your skill.
I don't agree with sarvis that some shit Beth does is not worth bitching and we should focus on the "positive" news.

From the gameplay vids they have shown I can't see how you'd get through the game without fighting, not that I'd want to...

elander_

Arbiter
There isn't a "no kill" path in Fallout. You don't have a choice unless to kill the leader of the mutant base. There is a path to complete the game without using combat skills, but you still require skills, be it science, speech or sneak to beat it.

In the latest Bethesda game skills are completely irrelevant, the game has no limits and it's a joke of a crpg. If Fallout 3 is the same thing then there's little point in being able to beat the game this way.

Sarvis

Erudite
elander_ said:
There isn't a "no kill" path in Fallout. You don't have a choice unless to kill the leader of the mutant base. There is a path to complete the game without using combat skills, but you still require skills, be it science, speech or sneak to beat it.

In the latest Bethesda game skills are completely irrelevant, the game has no limits and it's a joke of a crpg. If Fallout 3 is the same thing then there's little point in being able to beat the game this way.

Why are skills even necessary, if there are multiple paths and multiple ways to resolve quests/encounters?

I mean, if they created a parser capable of evaluating what you type so you could talk your way out of a fight rather than killing everyone how is that not roleplaying?

Right?

DefJam101

Arcane
Volourn said:
IMPROTANT QUESTION: If we are to assume that Beth is lying about the on combat way to get through the game is it not safe to assume they are also lying about melee being autohit...

One of those actually requires effort to implement, though.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Volourn said:
So... what youa re saying it really doens't matter what Beth says. You believe what you want to believe, and they lie when what they say disproves what you believe and they tell the truth when it conviently backs up your claims.

That's cool.

Codexian Butthurtz it is.

Hey Volly - we saw a VIDEO of Radiant AI in a form of chick doing exercises, learning and burning her dog in Oblivion. And it looked like truth and the question was - how can it be not one?

RainSong

Scholar
Volourn said:

That's cool.

You finally got it. You took some Mentats to raise your INT?

elander_

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
Why are skills even necessary, if there are multiple paths and multiple ways to resolve quests/encounters?

If those choices are determined by how many stimpaks or mentats i have in my inventory, i rather have skills impose the necessary pace to progress in the game.

Sarvis said:
I mean, if they created a parser capable of evaluating what you type so you could talk your way out of a fight rather than killing everyone how is that not roleplaying?

Right?

Yes but that would be playing your personality and not the role you create in char gen.

Sarvis

Erudite
elander_ said:
Sarvis said:

If those choices are determined by how many stimpaks or mentats i have in my inventory, i rather have skills impose the necessary pace to progress in the game.

Sarvis said:

Right?

Yes but that would be playing your personality and not the role you create in char gen.

So... what you're saying is that you NEED stats to roleplay, but multiple paths/solutions don't create roleplaying?

Huh. Sounds familiar.

elander_

Arbiter
Sarvis said:
So... what you're saying is that you NEED stats to roleplay, but multiple paths/solutions don't create roleplaying?

Huh. Sounds familiar.

So are you saying that chargen is not something that belongs in a crpg?

And where did i said that multiple paths/solutions should not be used in crpgs?

Sarvis

Erudite
No, not at all. There've been many arguments over the years where I've claimed that the process of stats determining the results of actions is one of the biggest things that makes a game an RPG.

Many Codexers have counter-argued that it's choices & consequences and multiple paths that define an RPG.

Was just pointing out you agreed with me. :P

elander_

Arbiter
I think that what those codexers were trying to say is that you don't need just stats determining the result of actions. You need also choices&consequences and multiple paths. It's those things working together that makes a good crpg and a Fallout crpg.

Sarvis

Erudite
elander_ said:
I think that what those codexers were trying to say is that you don't need just stats determining the result of actions. You need also choices&consequences and multiple paths. It's those things working together that makes a good crpg and a Fallout crpg.

No, that isn't what they were trying to say. You just haven't been assimilated properly into the Hivemind yet.

Sarvis

Erudite
Oh, you laugh now... but soon you'll only laugh when the Hivemind wants you to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom