Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Wunderbar

Arcane
What are the minimum pc specs for running it on RPCS3? Approximately what order of processing power (cpu/gpu) do I need to play it comfortably at 1080p@60 fps? Is it playable at resolutions/framerates above native without disrupting game's functioning (physics, sound, timers etc)?
I played it on 3700x & Geforce 1070 with 1080p@60fps, and had zero technical issues or physics bugs. The game ran like a dream, aside from occasional hicups when the emulator was compiling shaders.
If I already own a ps3 with DeS for it, is it still preferable to play on emulator?
I'd go with native, at least for the authenticity.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Wunderbar Thanks, my pc specs are more or less close to yours, so I think it's worth a try. If it's playable at 1080p@60fps as you say, then I see no reason to play it on a real ps3, with sub-hd resolution and sub-30fps framerate (low resolution is a thing I can easily put up with, but not low/unstable framerate).

Unwanted
Dumbfuck
Fuck modern Fromsoftware, not every boss needs to be a swordman on cocaine. I love that every boss in Demon's Souls has a unique feeling to them even if they are not hard.

Dhaze

Cipher
Wunderbar Thanks, my pc specs are more or less close to yours, so I think it's worth a try. If it's playable at 1080p@60fps as you say, then I see no reason to play it on a real ps3, with sub-hd resolution and sub-30fps framerate (low resolution is a thing I can easily put up with, but not low/unstable framerate).

To add to what Wunderbar said, I replayed Demon's Souls on RPCS3 last year with an i5 8400 and a GTX 1060, at 1080p with constant 60fps. Not a single issue throughout the whole game.

somerandomdude

Learned
My old PS3, before it YLOD had hundreds of hate mail messages from doing invasions in Demon's Souls. Most responses were a casual "FUCK YOU!", but occasionally got some more interesting ones like this kid who threatened to literally mail me a pipe bomb because I beat his ganker squad.

Invasions were a troll's paradise in Demon's Souls because it was the first, and there were fresh sets of juicy virgin ass cheeks all over the place ripe for a clapping. Player characters were quite powerful in this game in PVP, and it was a relatively trivial matter to kill a host + 2 phantoms in this game using a variety of different strategies. Put curse weapon on a dragon bone smasher or meat cleaver = oneshot. Backstab fish for a oneshot, popular choice was fatal estoc, it got the job done. Tornado hat mage also got the job done, there was a glitch that let you do a running firestorm spell, and if even one pillar touched someone it did extreme damage. Also, wrath of the gods had a massive AOE on it, getting hit was pretty well guaranteed to be a oneshot, and it would hit people through walls, and around corners. Deleted tons of peeps doing this. You had to kill them in 1 hit, if you couldn't then your chances were not all that great. Because you could just quickly munch grass for full heals without many limits.

Last edited:

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
All right, I got it working. My pc specs are r7 5800h / 16 gb / rtx 3060 (laptop). I'm using RPCS3 v. 0.0.22-13734 win64. Game ID is BLUS30443.

I had to limit the maximum cpu frequency to 3.5 ghz, for my cpu was dead set on toiling away like a fiend, it was heating up to 95 C, which was getting me worried. Not sure if what I did was right, but now that I throttled my cpu, the temperature doesn't go over 75-76 C and I still get stable 60 fps at 1080p.

I had to use the PPU patch to enable 60 fps (it can be installed from the rpcs3 menu Manage > Game Patches).

I noticed that the models for some items, specifically the starting shield of the soldier class, were strangely missing from my game (physically the item was there, but it was invisible due to a bug -- my character seemed to be defending himself with just his forearm, when the shield was equipped). I was able to restore it using this custom patch https://github.com/SJalltheway5/DeS_MissingGeometryFix. Here's the link to the discussion https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/4302

Maybe there are other recommended patches/fixes/tweaks I am still missing?

I got to ask, which version of the game is the best one to play? Which one is the least buggy on RPCS3? Like I stated above, currently I'm using BLUS30443, but maybe other versions will work better? Like for instance, the physical edition of the game that I own on disk is shipped in a red bluray box with the label "GREATEST HITS" on the box art, like this one
676617-demon-s-souls-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg
which version of the game is that?

Last edited:

Wunderbar

Arcane
I got to ask, which version of the game is the best one to play? Which one is the least buggy on RPCS3? Like I stated above, currently I'm using BLUS30443, but maybe other versions will work better? Like for instance, the physical edition of the game that I own on disk is shipped in a red bluray box with the label "GREATEST HITS" on the box art, like this one
I was using BLES00932, there were no visual bugs. The only patch I installed was 60fps one.

somerandomdude

Learned
RPCS3 is relatively well optimized, most games I tried ran fine on it even with a Ryzen 5 1600x CPU. I'm told if you got anything haswell generation or newer on the Intel side, that's enough for most games on RPCS3. If you can run Dolphin and Cemu, you can run RPCS3 for the most part. There's a few outlier games that require a beefier CPU, but that's the case with most of these emulators. Demon's Souls isn't one of them.

The Decline

Arcane
All right, I got it working. My pc specs are r7 5800h / 16 gb / rtx 3060 (laptop). I'm using RPCS3 v. 0.0.22-13734 win64. Game ID is BLUS30443.

I had to limit the maximum cpu frequency to 3.5 ghz, for my cpu was dead set on toiling away like a fiend, it was heating up to 95 C, which was getting me worried. Not sure if what I did was right, but now that I throttled my cpu, the temperature doesn't go over 75-76 C and I still get stable 60 fps at 1080p.

I had to use the PPU patch to enable 60 fps (it can be installed from the rpcs3 menu Manage > Game Patches).

I noticed that the models for some items, specifically the starting shield of the soldier class, were strangely missing from my game (physically the item was there, but it was invisible due to a bug -- my character seemed to be defending himself with just his forearm, when the shield was equipped). I was able to restore it using this custom patch https://github.com/SJalltheway5/DeS_MissingGeometryFix. Here's the link to the discussion https://github.com/RPCS3/rpcs3/issues/4302

Maybe there are other recommended patches/fixes/tweaks I am still missing?

676617-demon-s-souls-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg
which version of the game is that?

There are a couple mods for adding HD text and fixing some gray outlines and one unofficial patch that has a few QoL changes. I just finished playing through it on RPCS3 and it was great. 60fps, 5K down sampled to 1440P, and the ability to change world tendency using the unofficial server.

Tse Tse Fly

Savant
Has DeS an auto-saving feature? My game unexpectedly terminated due to a crash in the gpu driver, but after I got back in the game my character was standing right where he was before the crash, the enemies I had slain also did not respawn.

Also, do I get it correctly - RPCS3 does not implement emulator save states you can create and load at your discretion?

Last edited:

Dhaze

Cipher
Yes, Demon's Souls (as well as Dark Souls 1, 2, 3, Bloodborne, and Elden Ring) will auto-save every few moments.

Not sure about save states as I had no use for them while emulating Demon's Souls, but a cursory search seems to indicate that no, RPCS3 doesn't implement that option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom