Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Completed It's God's Will! Let's rule as the Imperium Romaniae!

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
01 - Basileus is a Dinosaur from our Imagination...
emprah.png

The Latin Empire or Latin Empire of Constantinople (original Latin name: Imperium Romaniae, "Empire of Romania") is the name given by historians to the feudal Crusader state founded by the leaders of the Fourth Crusade on lands captured from the Byzantine Empire. It was established after the capture of Constantinople in 1204 and lasted until 1261. The Latin Empire was intended to supplant as titular successor to the Roman Empire in the east, with a Western Roman Catholic emperor enthroned in place of the Eastern Orthodox Roman emperors. Baldwin IX, Count of Flanders, was crowned the first Latin emperor as Baldwin I on 16 May 1204.
- Wikipedia
00.jpg

Emperor - a title that is so prestigious that every man covets it. The year was 1204, and a Catholic King reigned over Constantinople. And due to the narrator's failure to study history, he was was kinda surprised by this scenario ever happening.

Technically, this Emperor ruled over the "Latin Empire" and barely 33% of the Byzantine Empire is his. The 'true' Basileus of the Byzantines, Theodoros I holds the rest. Shit's about to get real, I suppose. Our goal: merge these two shattered Empire together under the one true Church or die trying.

01.jpg

The Pope, feeling an itch within his hat declares a Crusade on Jerusalem, currently owned by the Ayyubid Sultanate. This could be a great opportunity to grab some much needed wealth, prestige and piety. A 15,000 strong army is ready to set sail from Constantinople. Tension is high on the Byzantine borders - but I'm sure things will go well. A 5,000 strong army of the Latin Empire proudly sets sail towards Benghazi in the name of the Emperor.

Two months later...

02.jpg

Barely weeks after landing on Benghazi, the Latin army is forced to withdraw. The War for Byzantine has begun. Theodoros takes the initiative.

Shortly later, the Sunni Caliph decides to send e-mails to his facebook followers to start Operation Sicilian Crescent.

03.jpg

The boy-king Friedrich is about to get his cherry popped, but that is the least of the concern for Emperor Baldwin for a war for his throne is about to begin...

04.jpg

Smartly, he engages the Greek army before they could regroup. His medium fleet proves decisive in assembling an army in double quick time. A 3,500 strong Swiss Band was hired as victory insurance.

05.jpg

Victory achieved. 8,000 killed. 2,900 lost. A fine day for the faithfuls. The Greeks retreat.

06.jpg

But the Latin Army smelled blood. There will be no white peace. A victory now would utterly destroy the Basileus' army utterly - and render it vulnerable for a take-over in the future, Muslims be damned.

07.jpg

And that pig squealed pathetically as we butchered him in his capital.

08.jpg

The war is over. All claims the Basileus had - was lost. His Empire is now without a man to lead it.

09.jpg

Only his daughter remains of his dynasty.

Meanwhile in Jerusalem...

10.jpg

:troll:

hostergaard

Educated
Oh, maybe you can marry her or marry her to your son (and if necessary kill any current wives as applicable)? That would a nice and easy way to bring the empires together.

My gut reaction is to vote for the Byzantine empire, simply because I always thought the name was awesome. But the Latin empire has a certain ring to it that I really like too. And the Latin empire certainly seem a lot more fun, what with being a dukedome sized underdog to an actual empire.

RK47

Patron
Biggest problem for me is just holding 2 counties. That's quite an issue since money is hard to come by (counts & dukes don't pay taxes)
I'm tempted to get noble taxes at -10 relations. Could be worth the cash boost, as well as just turning bishopry to free investiture to squeeze every little bit of cash I can.

Absalom

It would probably be best to grab the 2 best de jure dukedoms in your area as your personal demesne. I don't think you have enough vassals to make the options you mentioned worthwhile. Who has the province which has Constantinople?

RK47

Patron
i have constantinople. income is low +4.00 g and im at sub 100 reserves. i loath to do it but perhaps its time to banish some vassals.

Absalom

What's their loyalties? Their heirs? How many vassals? Eh but you prolly know all about that shit. Just do it. If byzantine comes a knockin when your "empire" is under duress it would be lulzy.

RK47

Patron
theyre pretty loyal. lowest at 10ish highest 70ish. good levies just no income. thers no truce btw since nobody lost the war.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh, maybe you can marry her or marry her to your son (and if necessary kill any current wives as applicable)? That would a nice and easy way to bring the empires together.

My gut reaction is to vote for the Byzantine empire, simply because I always thought the name was awesome. But the Latin empire has a certain ring to it that I really like too. And the Latin empire certainly seem a lot more fun, what with being a dukedome sized underdog to an actual empire.

Uttering this name in Constantinople the Capital of One and Only True Roman Empire would earn you Castration and Blinding. How is this possible You can't call Gypsy a Gypsy but everybody uses name coined by western usurpers in XVI century?

constantinexiiannisniko.jpg

25576506.jpg

gdzz21.jpg

Voted for true Rome; Death to Latin Barbarians! :salute:

fpoe220510_7526.jpg

Buy greek real estate, barbarian.

But yeah, normally I'd go for byzzies as well for all those glorious counter-jihads and annual popemole purges but it'll get easymode real fast and the LP will become a boring map painting fest.

RK47

Patron
i read the history stuff on 4th crusades. wow, pretty grimdark. what an exellent rpg opprtunity, a crusade against infidel turned into a greed-infused rape and plunder.

Hellraiser

Arcane
The 4th crusade is quite possibly the worst thing to happen to western civilization (caused by Europeans) before the world wars. The amount of works of ancient art that the Empire preserved but got destroyed is atrocious, the crusader cunts and their instigators deserve nothing less than utter contempt for all eternity. Both for pissing on the heritage of the ancients of Rome and Greece and for leading to the rise of kebab in the east with their greed.

RK47

Patron
The Weakest Empire

The Latin Empire struck a decisive blow against the Byzantines - they've lost their Basileus. But peace is only temporary, for they are surrounded by even more powerful enemies.

01.jpg

Bulgaria to the North, Rum to the East, and Byzantines to the south.

02.jpg

08.jpg

The greedy King of Bulgaria, Kaloyan I wastes no time in warring for his claims against the Duchy of Moesia, a 10,000 strong army smashing against the weakened Dukedom.

Elsewhere, the Latin Empire crushes a minor uprising in Aegean Island.
03.jpg

Sensing an opportunity to thwart the Bulgarian ambition, Emperor Baldwin commands his 5,000 strong army to march against the exhausted Bulgar army.

04.jpg

A messenger was sent to the Duke of Moesia - declaring the Latin Empire's intent to to help in the conflict. Alas, the defenders could not hold out - and the Duke fell under the rule of the Bulgars.

05.jpg

More uncertainty looms ahead...

07.jpg

Can the young Emperor rally his vassals against the threat of invasion?

09.jpg

Will he resort to diplomacy or force to exert his will?
Or will he resort to... treachery?

06.jpg

RK47

Patron
Some advice would help. I'm kinda at a loss on how to proceed.

RK47

Patron
Elsewhere...

10.jpg

Serbia faces a succession war. It is of no concern to us.

11.jpg

The Duke of Moesia languishes in Bulgarian prison. He has many vassals, I'm sure they will not stay quiet for long.

12.jpg

Envoys from Constantinople is sent to the Balissa's court to pay their respects to their late Basileus. It is merely a gesture of respect, but hopefully some goodwill can be established between the two Empires.

13.jpg

Another option to ponder, is the possibility of marrying off the daughter of Baldwin to the future Basileus of Byzantine Empire, should anything bad befall to young Eirene.

14.jpg

He is even willing to marry her.

Absalom

If you marry her Patrilineality; wouldn't the only effect be a diplo boost because any children born will be of his dynasty? And only if he succeeds the throne? Maybe foster relations with Byzantine and go after Bulgaria if their vassals revolt? Or maybe strengthen eternally at the expence of your vassals?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom