Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jagged Alliance Jagged Alliance 2, Temple of Elemental Evil & Silent Storm Retrospectives

Which game has the best tactics?

• Jagged Alliance 2

• Silent Storm

• Temple of Elemental Evil

Results are only viewable after voting.

Beowulf

Arcane
Is there any point in going after enemy patrols, except for the experience?
Will eliminating enemy patrols reduce the chance of attacks on Drassen, for example?
And is ts there a finite amount of patrols?

Yeah, it will the chances of an attack on nearby city.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Hmmm...seems like Auto Resolve is much more effective than a joint Militia&Mercs defense.
When playing it out several militia were killed in the first couple of rounds. And instead of falling back and let Igor and Blood on the rooftops snipe the enemies, the militia just rush the enemy. On A-R none were killed.

BTW, how does Auto-Resolve affect which items drop?
From two instances I get the impression that less items drop when A-R'ing.

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
On my last playthrough i went dual wield silenced pistols and only night missions. Was awesome but got boring kinda fast

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
BTW, how does Auto-Resolve affect which items drop?

From two instances I get the impression that less items drop when A-R'ing.

Possible but I don't think the fat loot drops will happen either way. If you want really good stuff you should go for the prison and the SAM sites. Another option is side missions like hillbillies or drug lords, though the latter is really hard as in "near impossible without massive save scumming".

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what makes Igor decide not to rehire? He says something about starting a microbrewery back home.

His morale is stable, and he has no wounds.
The other mercs are Blood, Barry, Doctor Q and Fox.

I see he has been wounded 24 times, which is more than double that of other mercs. I guess that's the reason?

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finally finished JA2 today after many failed attempts over the years. Did it on the highest difficulty too but savescummed the shit out of this, particularly in the end.

Good thing I saved so many mortars, they were crucial in the final battle. I had to draw Deidrannas guards out of the front and shower them with flak so the main force had less resistance when they went in through the backdoor. Surprisingly effective strategy after I got my head bashed in two times previosuly.

Fantastic game but will definitely lower the difficulty when I get around playing UB. Heard it was much harder anyway.

Is Wildfire about the same difficulty than the base game or is it harder too?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So, do black mercs need camo?
I remember from my own time in the national guard how well the uniforms worked as camouflage in the forest, except for one thing: the white faces.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how does it affect things if I kill the Hicks before I speak to Keith in Cambria?
Do I still get the Loyalty boost?

Okagron

Prophet
I'm actually interesting in trying the regular Jagged Alliance 2 (i only played Wildifre). Which version does the 1.13 mod works with? The regular one or the gold version? Or both?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So does the Night Vision Goggles actually work?
My mercs' line of sight is still severely limited with them, and can't see enemies just a few squares outside the the light radius of those Chemical Break Lights.
Or are you supposed to put batteries in them? The description says they come equipped with batteries, though.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
NVGs do not need batteries. There is only one item that needs batteries.

NVGs increase the sight radius of your mercs at night by few tiles. They do not work combined with chemical lights for obvious reasons. So if you don't have any NVGs, use chem flares like in UFO. If you have NVGs, the mercs can see 2-4 tiles father than mercs without them, depending on the generation of the NVGs. Then 1.13 adds 4th gen NVGs which give you even longer distance.

But in no case do they turn night into day. Always be mindful that you're just seeing slightly better than without them. And if enemies have NVGs or better NVGs than yours, they can surprise you from total darkness.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Another thing: I got a sniper rifle with a range of 80, but the merc using it (Blood) has a LOS on only 25 tiles (27 if on a roof).
He constantly misses shots from 33+ tiles away.
What gives?

EDIT: LOS is the same with or without a Sniper Scope.

Last edited:

Okagron

Prophet
I'm actually interesting in trying the regular Jagged Alliance 2 (i only played Wildifre). Which version does the 1.13 mod works with? The regular one or the gold version? Or both?
I actually meant interested and not interesting. I was half asleep when i posted that.

You need gold version for 1.13
Was that directed at my post? If so, thanks a bunch.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So how does 1.13 using the JA2Vanilla.ini instead of the full 1.13 compare to Stracciatella among the experts?

I wanted to play vanilla first time, but with higher resolutions, so I went for Stracciatella.
But then I tried 1.13 and there is an headache inducing amount of fluff, but I noticed there was something called JA2Vanilla.ini, so I tried that option. In addition to the 800x600 resolution looking much better than the same resolution with Stracciatella, it also implements the chance to hit info.
So that is at least two very good reasons for using 1.13 Vanilla instead of Stracciatella. And there's more options from the Preferences menu, like the option for always turn based until all enemies are dead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom