Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Jagged Alliance 3 Released

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Killed by Infinitrons Touch of Death

flushfire

Augur
I've tried it briefly, but no matter what I name my IMP merc, his name ends up being "Not a valid UTF-8 string" + some gibberish. This should give you an idea how polished the game is, if even naming your guy hasn't been tested. The fact you have a whopping 6 portraits (3 men, 3 women) to choose from doesn't help. From the brief gameplay, the JA2 magic is just not there. Feels like a generic X-COM clone without the aliens. Sad, I kinda wanted it to be good.
Was it not removed from inventory? AFAIK that's an issue with a specific crack, not the game itself.

RolePlayer

Augur
I vote to stop including worthless "game magazine" reviews. I doubt there's a single person around here who says "hmm, "Shitnews" magazine gave this a whopping 9 out of 10, might be worth checking out"
Thus both your time is saved and less attention is given to "game critics" whose era of dominance is long gone, allowing them to gracefully fade into the past
publishers moved on from corrupting "game journos" (once they lost all credibility) and moved on instead to corrupting anybody with a following on social media a long time ago

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I've tried it briefly, but no matter what I name my IMP merc, his name ends up being "Not a valid UTF-8 string" + some gibberish. This should give you an idea how polished the game is, if even naming your guy hasn't been tested. The fact you have a whopping 6 portraits (3 men, 3 women) to choose from doesn't help. From the brief gameplay, the JA2 magic is just not there. Feels like a generic X-COM clone without the aliens. Sad, I kinda wanted it to be good.

To be fair "Not a valid UTF-8 string" is a better and more badass name than most of the ones i can think off. :negative:
You tried to call your character "*-*/\--/\~", right?

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
To be fair "Not a valid UTF-8 string" is a better and more badass name than most of the ones i can think off. :negative:

No, I only used normal characters. It happened even when I left the default name in. But since I already uninstalled it, I don't care much.

No idea why every dev thinks he can "fix" the near-perfect JA2 system by inserting whatever bland, generic thing he can poop out. It's not a bad game, it's just... meh.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
This only happens on the pirated steam version

Shaki

Arbiter
I vote to stop including worthless "game magazine" reviews. I doubt there's a single person around here who says "hmm, "Shitnews" magazine gave this a whopping 9 out of 10, might be worth checking out"
Thus both your time is saved and less attention is given to "game critics" whose era of dominance is long gone, allowing them to gracefully fade into the past
Reviews are important, if you see game journos giving 3/10 crying the game is too complex and hard, you know it's a good game

Levenmouth

Cipher
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I too name my character as Elon names his children.

96154118-3034679163254984-3679734624080101376-n-scaled.jpg

kalash19

Novice
I saw Ivan but where is igor? Cant make full I-team in JA3 is a disappointment. Besides that, the game is decent but a bit clunky due to no turn based combat for stealth gameplay, really hope there will be mods for fixing that.

On a couple of boards and on Steam itself there are a lot of people reporting shit performance (like unplayable stutters and drops to 20 fps). I don't know if these journos had some better game version than retail, but for now, be warned. I know a lot of codex tards play on 15 year old 2nd hand toasters.
Don't worry, I updated to 32 gigs of ram on my 10 year old PC just for this reason. Ride this potato into flaming glory. The ram won't make a difference but it feels good bro.
I thought 32GB would not matter either and one of my ram sticks had failed making my computer 16 GB instead of 32 GB and it never mattered until Aliens Dark Decent, I could not get past about 3 hours into the game. I could not believe having a failed ram stick would matter since I had a 3080 10GB also and good processor as well, but when I replaced both sticks of ram now I can play Aliens Dark Decent again. Maybe it had something more to do with having a failed ram stick than not having 32 GB of ram, not sure..but every other game I had was still working it seemed like. I doubt Aliens even requires 32 GB, so not sure what the issue was..

m_s0

Arcane
On a couple of boards and on Steam itself there are a lot of people reporting shit performance

DLSS requires also enabling "resolution percentage" in separate option, leaving it at 100% supersamples the game, dropping to 67% is the DLSS Quality option and provides performance boost. It is a bit confusing, I was also wondering why am I getting framerate drops until I found this out.

And reflections on ultra are completely unnecessary framerate killer as well.

Generally the game looks nice and runs well once DLSS is set properly and reflections are set to high or less.
This checks out. The Steam Deck preset (the game does have one despite its official compatibility rating - probably because of text size, aka the usual culprit) drops reflections to medium and sets resolution scaling to 77% (which, curiously, is described as "Ultra Quality").

Looks like 2+ hours battery life with mostly high and some medium settings which I'd say is fairly decent for a new game. Plus, it offers the 4 scaling options, you have a separate audio volume slider for the UI... I've seen shitty coding, but if there's any here I'd say it's not for lack of trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom