Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Jane Jensen's Pinkerton Road Studio & Moebius Closed Down

Discussion in 'Adventure Gaming' started by Outlander, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    This woman shall receive my golden shower

^ Top  
  3. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Backing this. Seems people are being a bit... cautious on backing this. But we shall see. Hoping for the best.

^ Top  
  4. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Are these people really this stupid? I mean really. How many more overlapping projects can people possibly take? Someone needs to say a STOP to this madness. Fucking goddamn stupid fucking bandwagon-whoring morons. One at a time, dammit! It's already stretching it at two.

^ Top  
  5. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Does Jane Jensen have enough "star power" to fund a $300,000 kickstarter like this? It's not even going toward a game, just helping her launch a new business. If this was "Kickstarter for Gabriel Knight 4" I would be throwing money at my monitor in a heartbeat, only because I have faith that she can still produce an excellent GK-style story.

I'm not at all interested in what she's proposing with this, though.

Oh.. oh boy.

A 3rd person adventure? Great.

Not to mention Gray Matter was delayed for what seemed like eternity. How is she going to put out a good game in a year or less when GM took like 8 years?

^ Top  
  6. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    I'll assume you didn't watch the video.

The one project Moebeus was mentioned as being a GK like adventure game with history, historic places etc...

Maybe if she succeeds at this THEN possibly she could try to go acquire the GK trademark from Activision.

I'm backing her on this hope as well as the Moebeus one.

^ Top  
  7. Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Why do you need to pay more than three times the lowest amount to get two games instead of just one?

^ Top  
  8. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Interview time: http://www.gamespot.com/news/gabriel-knight-designer-launches-pinkerton-road-6369623

:yeah:

It's too bad that the game she works on is going to community vote, but I have faith they'll pick this one and not Gray Matter 2 or the other game.

^ Top  
  9. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    The mere mention of Gray Matter 2 is probably the hindrance of this whole project on Kickstarter.

^ Top  
  10. Ringhausen Augur

Ringhausen
    The whole reason she's starting the company is to get control over the production.

What makes this one iffy is that JJ has been talking a lot about these hidden item and mobile phone games merging with adventure games. And they're promising to release 3 games in a short span. What exactly are we getting?

All the people demanding yet another sequel make me sad. Though Moebius and Anglophile Adventure are terrible names.

^ Top  
  11. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Man, what I wouldn't do to see GK4. I would give away half of my fortune. But anyway, although this is no GK4, it's the first kickstarter that got my money and that means a lot. Since I really don't believe in investing in a project that nothing is revealed about it and could turn into a massive shit. But i would do anything to see GK4 and I think the success of this project opens a way for that.

^ Top  
  12. Crooked Bee (no longer) a wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Anglophile Adventure shouldn't have even been there, nor should've been GM 2 imho. She should've just said "Help me make a spiritual successor to Gabriel Knight" and provide some (better) concept art, and more people would support it, the way I see it at least.

Thanks for linking the interview, Stabwound and Outlander.

^ Top  
  13. Alex_Steel Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    I want to fund a lot of these projects but I can only afford one.
    I believe(and secretly hope) some of them will fail to reach their goal. This will teach them a lesson.

^ Top  
  14. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    I'm very much on the fence when it comes to GK4. I love Gabe and I'd love see him, Grace and Mosley again but I also thought GK3's ending was really good even though it did leave the series pretty much wide-open for another sequel.

Whatevs. Jensen is cool. I'll be keeping an eye on this.

^ Top  
  15. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    Nah, the more likely outcome is some of the better known ones will go just over the goal and some will fail just below the goal and nobody will learn anything when they could soar if given some space between them.

^ Top  
  16. Alex_Steel Arcane Patron

Alex_Steel
    I guess you are right. Humans have a hard time learning from their mistakes. They will probably blame the video they made/kickstarter model/media coverage/players not knowing what they want/some-other-stupid-thing.

At least I hope the 'Dead State' fellows took the advice and will make some delays with their "masterplan".

^ Top  
  17. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    A few more clarifications:

I'm still going to back this......

^ Top  
  18. Stabwound Arcane

Stabwound
    Was Grey Matter so well-received that a sequel is warranted? I didn't do more than watch 5 minutes of an LP but I didn't like the style.

Moebius sounds more like a GK game. Do want.

The casual/true adventure mode is pretty :decline: sounding, but it makes me think back to the difficulty selector of Monkey Island 2. I don't think many people would say that MI2 was decline. Then again, Jane Jensen has been mostly doing casual games since GK3, so yeah.

^ Top  
  19. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    In general, the Adventure Game Community Hivemind™ is generally split. Some love it, some hate it.

Agreed.

The point people keep missing is that the lukewarm reception to GK3 (by then Marketing was more than likely stepping in and making demands of it) as well as all the other games Jane worked on were where she did NOT have a full hands on development capacity (like in Gray Matter) AND it was Publisher Funded. Which is the root of all evil in the shit games we get now.

She now has a chance to bypass the fucking shit Publisher model and fully develop a game written and developed by her. No shit Marketing or Publisher bullshit will be present. THAT is something I will bet on and fund. Period.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
  21. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    GM was shit. Started out interesting but even the initial premise relied on obsolete pseudoscience. Then you met the extra characters who were all stereotypic shit. Game quickly turned into a shitty summer B movie for teenagers. It lowered my opinion of JJ a lot but I guess one should cut her some slack because the game has been in development in various forms for such a long time, under different publishers.

^ Top  
  22. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Did you even read the article with Jane Jenson?

^ Top  
  23. Sceptic Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

Sceptic
    Divinity: Original Sin
    20% in 2 days seems pretty good to me ;)

I'm scouring for more information on whether the "packaged DVD versions" are just a regular DVD box or something more intricate, like Wasteland 2's. If it's got enough goodies I'm probably going for this. I also can't figure out if they're making 2 or 3 games given all the funding - some pages say 2, others 3.

I don't understand why, to be honest. It was a good game, in terms of puzzles it was miles better than just about anything else I can think of released in the past 2 or 3 years, and about on par with what would've been considered a "good adventure game" back in the early 90s. Not great, but good. Certainly worth the, what, $20? it retailed for.

^ Top  
  24. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    I think it is more of a... HOLY FUCKING SHIT!!! HOLY FUCKING SHIT!! Jane jenson is working on Gray Matter!!! HOLY FUCKING SHIT.

And then the game get's released. The expectations were too high (and most people don't understand how games are made as well). As explained in the Gamespot interview she did work on it, but was in NO full development capacity on the game. And not to mention the development/publisher hell it went through. That's pretty much my guess.

I have yet to play it as I just want a fucking STEAM version FFS.

Still, JJ doing some adventure games where she is is FULL control? This is a good thing, and I'm willing to back her money on this. Period.

^ Top  
  25. Aeschylus Prestigious Gentleman Swindler Patron

Aeschylus
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    There is a certain small, but very vocal segment of the adventure game community that *really hates* Jane Jensen. Well, maybe that's not quite fair. They really hate The Silver Lining, and fairly or not Jensen is linked to that due to it being set in the KQ6 areas, and crediting her as inspiration. I've never played Gray Matter, but I do know that I love Gabriel Knight 1 & 2 and King's Quest 6, so I will give some money to this project once I have a bit more to dole out.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.