Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JE Sawyer releases personal Fallout: New Vegas mod

DarthBehemoth

Learned
and let's say included more skillchecks for affecting the final boss fights, then it would be comparable to Ascension.

NV already has multiple skill checks in the final boss fight with the legate, you got to have a very high speech skill though.

AndymanhairaX

Educated
Looks like a great "hardcore" mod. I'll definitely give it a try as soon as I'm done with my newest Alpha Protocol playthrough.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
If Sawyer had made the Legate to raise Mr. House, allowed the player to convince him to fight with you instead, and then written an epilogue where he becomes suicidal and dies fighting the NCR President at the gates of Shady Sands - that would be a pretty major change to the lore, and is what Gaider did to Bodhi. Once again you're using the argument that it doesn't really change the overall structure of the narrative, which I've never disputed.

It's about the "lore", now? Seriously? Resurrecting and recruiting Bodhi is a minor change considering her importance in the player's story at that point, which is still to confront and defeat Melissan in the Throne, then ascend to godhood or chose to stay mortal. She could have received a fuckton of lines in her epilogue but it still wouldn't change the story, because it's just that: an epilogue. Finally, I wrote that the mod doesn't change the structure of the finale, not the narrative. Actually, my point, which I've shown already, is that the narrative itself receives minor changes at best, and certainly nothing major.

The Balthazaar/final boss story changes came about because Gaider agreed that they made more sense, not simply to justify the Improved Battles mod.

That doesn't matter much, does it? The result is still the same, and it's not like the changes affect the story so much.

That's been my point all along! :x

Glad you finally realised.

Sòren

Arcane
sounds pretty nice, never going to try it still since i have no intention of buying the crappy dlcs - after playing dead money. it had very interesting ideas and characters but goddamn, once you restrict new vegas to, mainly, just shooting high hp stuff with stupid weapons (i collected my armory for exactly such occasions ffs) the gameplay becomes a fucking torture.

curry

Arcane
Started a new game with the mod but don't see much difference yet. I'm not sure if the mod loader doesn't load it properly though.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Isn't story and narrative being the same in this case? Lore is just the body of knowledge that surrounds a given subject.

curry

Arcane
Yup, there's something wrong with the mod. I get the items (Stimpak, Expired) and I see new new monsters (Deranged Bright Follower) but my Health and XP gain is the same as without the mod.

Sawyer, I know you read the KKKodex so fix your mod. :smug:

Gotta go celebrate drink now. Happy New Year everyone.

Silellak

Cipher
Trophy: Two for the Price of One
1eyedking and Skyway have both posted in your thread. I hope you're happy with yourself.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex

Hey man. So, I heard the Witcher was an Intelligent Game, eh?

But it's also the language he uses. PLATONIC FORMS OF THE MARGINALIZED

AMONG THE MYRIAD GAMES

MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH NORMATIVE AUDIENCE EXPECTATIONS OF A CHARACTER IN A MARGINALIZED GROUP

You trying hard to be that much of a faggot?
Can't understand them words, so pretentious
Fucking plebs man

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I know what they mean, I just think all that what-blobert-would-refer-to-as-fagtalk is funny coming from a guy who makes and contributes to juvenile games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Alpha Protocol, Aliens and New Vegas (and in relation to juvenile crap like watch-Lara-Croft-get-hurt-and-moan-sexually). Maybe if he was more like Prateek Sanjay with his Plain Speak, Plain Matters I'd be able to take all those words seriously.

CrustyBot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Shame I haven't played New Vegas in months. I doubt I'll get back into it. Still, it's a nice list of changes. I can imagine it'd be a noticeable improvement over vanilla and it was pretty :brofist: of Sawyer to release it. So I can't complain.

I bet he frowned the entire time he was creating that mod.

Maybe, but once he finished the mod...

josh_sawyerITV.jpg

He became ecstatic.

:lol:

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
^ Easily adjusted with the console if that's the only thing keeping you from trying it.

Yep, he lost me there. I have the base game, it was decent enough... but no way will I buy all of the crappy DLC (especially those gun packs) to play this mod.

So download them (the proper DLC's are sweet tho, preorder shit is not).

MCA
Sadly, this mod is meaningless because they didn't fix like a gazillion soft bugs in the game (eg. things that break quests, AI, broken perks etc.), though modders did and Sawyer's mod won't be compatible with those. And you need about a total 150 of them to make everything work right in the game.

There's one that doesn't make much of a sense in the mod: Power Armor no longers requires training but you get larger carry capacity only with training. That doesn't sound right.

Will take a look at it once a Fallout: New Vegas Diamond Game of the Year Edition is released with all the DLC goodies for a moderate price.

FNV + all goodies was on sale for about 10$ on Steam the day before.

I'm not a fan of Sawyer either but I don't think he is pretentious at all, only his design choices are well questionable. (Just look at the Gunrunners Arsenal thing, wtf was that)

Pretty sure that GRA DLC was a Bethesda money-milking scheme.

Antagonist

Liturgist
FNV + all goodies was on sale for about 10$ on Steam the day before.

Oh, poo! It looks like I am too late to the party. I can only find FNV for 9,99¢ without the gazillion of DLCs, they have to be purchased separately.

Additionally:

Steam said:
Low Violence: German low violence version only available with German language

Does that mean I get the gory version if I download the English one? Pardon for asking, but my Steam-Fu is kinda non-existent since the only games I own which require Steam are the Half-Life 2 series and Portal (courtesy of the Orange Box).

Morkar Left

Does that mean I get the gory version if I download the English one?

If you can download it, yes. the non-censored Austrian version is not available?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Maybe, but once he finished the mod...

He became ecstatic.

:lol:
That is if he even had the strength to smile. Look at what New Vegas/Feargus Urquhart's terrible work environment did to him:
n4d957583426d8.png
n4ed1dc7ed4b85.jpg

Pretty sure that GRA DLC was a Bethesda money-milking scheme.
Nope.
I specifically asked to make GRA because I wanted to show players, publishers, and developers that you could make a reasonably-priced weapon pack that added more than two retextures.

Well, that and because I wanted to add some more weapons and ammo types.

In any case, I feel that players will get a very good value for GRA. There's a lot of cool stuff in it.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'll be sure to try that mod for my next playthrough — that would be the only mod I'd install with MTUI.

Same here.

I like lots of the changes, but requiring Courier's Stash is lame.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I kinda wonder why it is so. My guess is that his mod affects some of the items you get with that mod, in a way that if you do not have the DLC it won't work, or maybe he made a deal with Bethesda to get part of the sales of that DLC. In any event, I wonder if modders wouldn't be able to make a version of his mod without that requirement.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I kinda wonder why it is so. My guess is that his mod affects some of the items you get with that mod, in a way that if you do not have the DLC it won't work, or maybe he made a deal with Bethesda to get part of the sales of that DLC. In any event, I wonder if modders wouldn't be able to make a version of his mod without that requirement.

Yeah, he modified the items in Courier's Stash.

• All Pre-Order Special Armor and Weapons set to drastically reduced values.
  • Pre-Order Lightweight Leather is now +10 Sneak.
  • Pre-Order Tribal Raiding armor now 6 DT, +20% Poison Resist, +5 Survival.
  • Vault 13 Canteen Effect now occurs every 7.5 minutes instead of every 5.
  • Pre-Order pack consumable numbers adjusted (e.g. fewer 40mm Grenades, more Throwing Spears).

In any case, you think it'd be a simple check to see if the DLC is installed before modifying it, but I guess not.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Lol at the tweak to the canteen. As if that makes it any less 'game breaking' in terms of the hard core mode. I put that in quotes because the canteen itself is pretty superfluous. There is no shortage of fresh water in NV.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Lol at the tweak to the canteen. As if that makes it any less 'game breaking' in terms of the hard core mode. I put that in quotes because the canteen itself is pretty superfluous. There is no shortage of fresh water in NV.

It looks like he's trying to address that in this mod:

* Dehydration, Sleep Deprivation, and Starvation Rates all halved (twice as fast)
* H2O, FOD, and SLP thresholds pushed back. The first comes later (400), but subsequent levels come more quickly (150 intervals).
* NPC loot will drop fewer purified waters (vs. dirty waters) in general.
* All random NPC food and drink drops set to dramatically lower rates (25 = 5%, 50 = 10%, 75 = 20%). Also affects many containers.

Enemy HP is fine in the vanilla game, imo. Only heavily armoured enemies take shitloads of damage, which encourages the use of AP ammo and such. Playing the DLC with the mod would probably be a nightmare, though.

Enemy HP is fine. This mod brings the PC's HP about in line with enemies.

A level 1 PC with 5 Endurance will have 200 HP: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Hit_Point

This mod cuts that to 50.

The convicts in the Bison Steve hotel have 30-50 HP: http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Convict

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom