Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JE Sawyer releases personal Fallout: New Vegas mod

potatojohn

Arcane
So has anyone tried this? How does it play? Is it easier or harder than arwen's realism tweaks?

curry

Arcane
I'm pretty sure the reduced XP gain doesn't work either. And there's no knowing whether the stuff that's not so obvious work.

roll-a-die

Magister
In any case, you think it'd be a simple check to see if the DLC is installed before modifying it, but I guess not.

Can't do that with bethesda's engine. You'd have to make a separate esp for each DLC. References can't be selected and weeded out by scripts, or trickery. When making gameplay mods like this, it's easier to just keep it contained in one ESP, because it prevents all kinds of busy work.

Things like, well, this part of the mod references this portion of the DLC and this portion of the main ESM. So I've got to insure proper load order is set so that this particular esp doesn't have this particular issue. Which means when I go to release these, I've got to open then save each one in the proper order. And it just becomes a clusterfuck, because you've got DLC, which reference the main ESM, and then you've got mods referencing the DLC, and then you've got mods referencing those mods, and you've got to account for all of those variables and the inheritances. Skilled modders with free time can do that, people with day jobs that often call for 12 hour shifts, no way in hell. Keep it simple, have one file, after you decide you are done put it through NVEdit and delete anything that is unchanged from the master file. Fix bugs later.

curry

Arcane
I didn't modify the base HP correctly, but I figured out the problem. For a future update, I probably won't quarter the normal values after all, but they will be significantly lower (about halved at 1st level tapering to about 2/3 at 20th).

I'm also switching from reducing gained XP to doubling the XP that's required to level. There are too many sources of XP that I can't modify through a single value (e.g. quest XP), so it's easier to address it through the requirements.

Between these two things, it should be rough stuff.

OK, time to wait for the new version. :salute:

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Oh, poo! It looks like I am too late to the party. I can only find FNV for 9,99¢ without the gazillion of DLCs, they have to be purchased separately.

Additionally:

Does that mean I get the gory version if I download the English one? Pardon for asking, but my Steam-Fu is kinda non-existent since the only games I own which require Steam are the Half-Life 2 series and Portal (courtesy of the Orange Box).

You can't download the english version directly as a german citizen, there is a little trick however (and completely legal):

1) Aquire a paysafecard the size of the amount you want to spend.
2) Get Tor
3) Configure Tor to give you an UK IP address
4) create an account on the steam web services using the UK IP address.
5) buy the game, pay with your paysafecard
6) gift the game to your main account

Antagonist

Liturgist
You can't download the english version directly as a german citizen, there is a little trick however (and completely legal): [...]

Thanks. I have been contemplating about setting up my own proxy somewhere on KWA territory because us Germans already get shafted on YouTube due to licensing disagreements (any video which contains music handled by GEMA in Germany is blocked when accessing it with a German IP address).

But I won't jump through hoops in order to give money to a company. I'll take my hard-earned cash to play.com once a GotY edition.

curry

Arcane
http://twofoldsilence.diogenes-lamp.info/2012/01/jsawyeresp-v2.html

===
v2 Changes:

* Logan's Loophole modified to cut the player's advancement off at 20th level. I know that ruins the reference but...
* Broad Daylight level prereq from 36 to 24, Sneak 70 prereq added
* Certified Tech level prereq from 40 to 24, Sneak 90 prereq added
* Just Lucky I'm Alive, Thought You Died, Ain't Like That Now prereqs from 50 to 34.
* Gum Drops from 1.0 to 0.25 weight.
* Bubblegum from 1.0 to 0.1 weight. Wow!

* Reverted XP halving to address more comprehensively through iXPBase and iXPBumpBase
* iXPBase set to 275 (from 200) & iXPBumpBase set to 200 (from 150) - Increasing required XP by a little more than 1/3.
* Lowered base player HP (before any bonuses) from 100 to 50.
* Reverted fPCBaseHealthMult change as it had no obvious effect.
* Lowered fADVHealthEnduranceMult from 15 to 10.
* Vanilla F:NV HP formula: 100 + (End * 20) + ([Level - 1] * 5) -- JSawyer HP formula: 50 + (End * 10) + ([Level - 1] * 5)
* Sierra Madre Martini HP bonus dropped from 75 to 40.

* Adjusted Dale Barton's, Lacey's, and Little Buster's Caravan decks.
* Reduced weight of non-Salisbury Steaks (Coyote, Dog, Gecko) from 1.0 to 0.8
* Switched all Pre-Order items to be sold at Chet's store. Nothing is given to the player outside of what Doc Mitchell hands him or her.
* Switched all Pre-Order message boxes to corner messages.
* Unique Pre-Order item prices raised to slightly above their non-unique counterparts.
* Mercenary's Grenade rifle weight dropped from 5.5 to 5, health bumped from 100 to 120.
* Mod slots removed from Weathered 10mm Pistol.
* Metal Armor and Lightweight Metal armor Health set to 200.
* All Raider armor weights dropped from 15 to 7.5.

* Merc Outfits all given two bonuses: one weapon skill at +10, one non-weapon at +5. The exception is Merc Charmer: three non-com at +5.
* Normal Merc Outfits all given 3 DT.
* "Unique" versions have "Reinforced" added to front of name. Value from 50 to 1200, DT set to 8.
* Raider armors all given misc bonuses. Unique versions have those bonuses + weapon skill bonuses.
* Leather and Reinforced Leather Armor weights dropped from 15 to 9. Gecko-Backed to 9.5.
* Raider armor healths dropped from 100 to 75.
* Adventurer: +5 Science, +10 Energy Weapons
* Charmer: +5 Barter, +5 Speech, +5 Medicine
* Cruiser: +10 Melee Weapons, +5 Sneak
* Grunt: +10 Guns, +5 Repair
* Troublemaker: +5 Lockpick, +10 Explosives
* Veteran: +5 Survival, +10 Unarmed
* Painspike: +3 Critical Chance
* Sadist: +15 Health
* Badlands: +10 Action Points
* Blastmaster: +20 Fire Resist
* Sharp-Dressed Raider's Armor: +3 Crit, +10 Guns
* Hand-Me-Down Raider Armor: +15 Health, +10 Melee
* Highway Scar Armor: +20 Fire Resist, +10 Explosives
* Psycho-Tic Helmet: +5 AP
* Arclight Helmet: +10 Fire Resist
* Blastmaster Helmet: +10 Explosives
* Wastehound Helmet: +10 Radiation Resist
* Bogeyman's Hood: +15 Radiation Resist
* The Devil's Pigtails: +8 AP
* Pyro Helmet: +15 Explosives
* All unique Merc and Raider armors and helmets added to Mick's store
* Emily Ortal's dialogue fixed so the 6 PE check is run on the Courier. Now you too can know the gross sexual history of Emily Ortal.
* Removed pic of VAULT MOM AND DAD from Vault 21.
* Metal Armors from 30 to 20 weight.
* Gecko-Backed from 33/35 to 23.
* Lightweight Metal Armor (Pre-Ord) to 15 weight.
* Most Medium armor weights lowered.
* Armor of the 87th Tribe weight lowered to 25 lbs.
* Armored Jumpsuits to 8 weight.
* Sierra Madre armor to 8 weight, Reinforced to 9.5
* MM Scout Armor to 7 weight.
* Vault 34 Security Armor to 9.5 weight.
* Lobotomite Jumpsuit to 5 weight.
* Hazmat Suit to 8 weight.
* Assassin Suit to 8 weight.
* Chinese Stealth Armor weight to 7, bonus to Sneak now +25.

* Created WithAmmo forms for the 5.56mm Pistol and Battle Rifle.
* Placed 5.56mm Pistol and Battle Rifle on various drop lists.
* Apocalypse Gladiator Armor DR from 0 to 17. Weight to 22. VAL to 3500.
* Apocalypse Gladiator Helmet VAL to 700.
* Shellshocked Combat Armor and Helmet revised.
* Road Rascal Leather Armor revised.
* Wanderer's Leather revised.
* All-Purpose Science Suit weight from 2 to 6.
* Followers Lab Coat given 8 DT. VAL from 16 to 1000. "Reinforced" added to the end of the string.
* Recon Armors given +15 Sneak. Christine's COS Recon Armor given +20 Sneak. Recon Armor effect string renamed to "Recon Armor".
* Metal Armor -1 AG enchantment replaced with -15 Sneak enchantment.
* Salvaged NCR Power Armor given -10 Sneak instead of -1 AG
* Power Armor Training carry weight bonuses halved from old (mod) values.
* Commando Armor revised to be Metal Armor, Reinforced with a +20 Sneak bonus.
* Shellshocked Combat Armor + Helmet and Composite Recon Armor + Helmet added to Nellis munitions vendor.
* Other unique metal/leather/raider/merc armors split between Cliff Briscoe and Mick.
* .308, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum drop rates increased in Military Footlockers in Old World Blues.
* Flamer Fuel weights halved.
* (GRA) suffix removed from all GRA ammo subtypes.
* (GRA) suffix removed from GRA weapons that have base game equivalents (e.g. Baseball Bat)
* All standard weapons with moddable GRA equivalents given all GRA mods.
* Instances of standard Assault Carbine Mags and 12.7mm Silencers removed/replaced with GRA equivalents.
* Weapons (now) lacking GRA suffixes removed from the Master of the Arsenal challenge weapon list.
* Weapons like the Battle Rifle, Bozar, Katana, Tin Grenade, etc. retain the (GRA) suffix for challenge/achievement/trophy purposes.
* Fixed incorrect icons for Ballistic Fist, Displacer Glove/Pushy, and Zap Glove/Paladin Toaster

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Sadly, this mod is meaningless because they didn't fix like a gazillion soft bugs in the game (eg. things that break quests, AI, broken perks etc.), though modders did and Sawyer's mod won't be compatible with those. And you need about a total 150 of them to make everything work right in the game.

There's one that doesn't make much of a sense in the mod: Power Armor no longers requires training but you get larger carry capacity only with training. That doesn't sound right.

FNV + all goodies was on sale for about 10$ on Steam the day before.

Pretty sure that GRA DLC was a Bethesda money-milking scheme.

This is so weird, I didn't notice or encounter more than a single bug in my playthroughs.

Unless you want to count CTDs, but what PC game doesn't crash once in a while depending on your rig?

MCA
You probably did but didn't think of them as bugs maybe or just didn't meet the conditions for the bugs. Branching paths for a lot of quests are bugged. And there are far too many core rules bugs, eg. things not working the way the game tells you in menus. There are also some stuff between some quests that interact with each other and are bugged.

To satiate your curiosity, just take a look at the list of fixes of the community patch at ravenmodding and try to think of how those things worked on your own game.

curry

Arcane
I've been playing this v2 mod for a while now and so far it's awesome. Equipment feels much more valuable now that you don't have a ton of guns and armor and enemies feel a lot tougher.

This is how the game should have been when it was released.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
* Switched all Pre-Order items to be sold at Chet's store. Nothing is given to the player outside of what Doc Mitchell hands him or her.
* (GRA) suffix removed from GRA weapons that have base game equivalents (e.g. Baseball Bat)
* All standard weapons with moddable GRA equivalents given all GRA mods.

Nice. I'm honestly surprised he made these changes.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Oh, I believe you. It's the same kind of thing that happened with Bloodlines 1.2 for me: there is a ton of bugs, but I didn't notice most of them, writing most of it of as working as intended.

At least I was able to enjoy the game that way at launch.

potatojohn

Arcane
Some interesting changes, but it still seems highly inferior to arwen's realism tweaks in both scope and design.

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Got NV+DLC on sale for the price of NV.

Was really reluctant since I couldn't spend more than 2 hours with FO3 (by retards for retards?) - now I'm sitting until dawn and feeling like I'm back in high school playing FO1 and 2.

Playing as a CHR/INT char now (on hardest + HC) , passing 95% of checks, but having real trouble with fights - getting one-shotted by most enemies and barely scratching anything above medium armor, but most of the time I can talk my way out or just ambush/avoid them.

Next playthrough will be with this mod - I will plan the build this time though.... and maybe powergame a bit :)

bhlaab

Erudite
But it's also the language he uses. PLATONIC FORMS OF THE MARGINALIZED

AMONG THE MYRIAD GAMES

MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH NORMATIVE AUDIENCE EXPECTATIONS OF A CHARACTER IN A MARGINALIZED GROUP

Holy shit words with three syllables what a nerd

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Holy shit words with three syllables what a nerd
As I've said before he comes across as a try-hard poseur. When he starts making intelligent games he can use all the words he wants. Actions and words.

Baron

Arcane
Sawyer scores a lot of chicks because of his game balances. I've always like reading his justifications for features or game changes, I mightn't always agree but at least I feel he gave it seven seconds of thought (not like devs in the industry who make changes solely to hear the lamentations of their players).

I also remind myself that Josh has made and released more computer games than me. It always tips him over the line in regards as to who was right, him or medicated fatties on the Codex. He's a savvy cat and ultimately, I envy his job.

Notorious

Augur
I also remind myself that Josh has made and released more computer games than me. It always tips him over the line in regards as to who was right, him or medicated fatties on the Codex. He's a savvy cat and ultimately, I envy his job.

I always loved this argument. I play piano and guitar so all your opinions on music are WRONG.

v2 looks more interesting. You could be pretty op in the first 10 hours of the game. (Even without the pre-order stuff)

Bluebottle

Erudite
Patron
Dead State Wasteland 2
The thing I like about Sawyer is that he seems genuinely interested in gaming systems, and realises their importance in RPGs. This shouldn't really be that special a thing to say about someone who designs RPGs, but in this day-and-age is it. MCA is a good writer and excellent at creating characters, Gaider wants to be a pulp writer, and Bethesda seem to be more interested in making action games than creating proper systems. I get the feeling that if Sawyer wasn't making computer games, he'd be writing PnP systems.

I wouldn't agree with everything he says in theory, and in practice he is still hampered by the realities of the industry (the base system of NV being dependant on FO3's design, for example), but I still can't think of many other people who I'd be more inclined to consider it a benefit if I found they were involved in an up-and-coming project.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom