Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

JE Sawyer releases personal Fallout: New Vegas mod

Antagonist

Liturgist
Will take a look at it once a Fallout: New Vegas Diamond Game of the Year Edition is released with all the DLC goodies for a moderate price.

Morkar Left

The changes sound nice. I hope the enemies have cutted down health, too. Bullet sponges are annoying as hell. Project Nevada brings more eyecandy like visors etc. but this is a very handy little mod that seems to fix the badly (= mainstream bethesda) implemented gamebalance.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Enemy HP is fine in the vanilla game, imo. Only heavily armoured enemies take shitloads of damage, which encourages the use of AP ammo and such. Playing the DLC with the mod would probably be a nightmare, though.
The fuckin' roboscorpions... groangroangroan...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Great to Sawyer finally become a Gaider-tier developer. Took him long enough. :smug:

1eyedking

Erudite
Sawyer is so fucking pretentious I can instantly detect his shit in anything Icewind Dale or Fallout related, e.g.: the Legion of the Chimera concept in IWD2 (as well as most of the later parts of that game), Trials of the Luremaster in IWD1, the whole goddamn atrocious Legion design in F3:NV.

He's good with mechanics and encounter numbers design though, and they should keep him in charge of that department and that department only. They should periodically check if he's gone full japan random and tag-teamed Psyonic Orcs with Carnivorous Plants, Werewolves and Invisible Stalkers. You know, just to keep gameworld verisimilitude going.

BONUS:
* All Power Armor enchantments
:hmmm:

Notorious

Augur
Sawyer is so fucking pretentious I can instantly detect his shit in anything Icewind Dale or Fallout related, e.g.: the Legion of the Chimera concept in IWD2 (as well as most of the later parts of that game), Trials of the Luremaster in IWD1, the whole goddamn atrocious Legion design in F3:NV.

I'm not a fan of Sawyer either but I don't think he is pretentious at all, only his design choices are well questionable. (Just look at the Gunrunners Arsenal thing, wtf was that) But I just might boot up F:NV for this mod again, maybe this time it will be challenging.

Silellak

Cipher
So...having 1eyedking post in one of your threads is going to be a Trophy, right?

I vote for the Trophy name "Why your thread is an intelligent thread".

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Cool thing. Since I got all F:NV DLC today, I'll be sure to try that mod for my next playthrough — that would be the only mod I'd install with MTUI. This kinda reminds me of David Gaider releasing the Ascension mod for Throne of Bhaal after working on it in his spare time. Like or hate the end result, it's at least a nice move to have done it and released it to the public.

So...having 1eyedking post in one of your threads is going to be a Trophy, right?

I vote for the Trophy name "Why your thread is an intelligent thread".

And you'd see a daiquiri icon pop-up from the lower-right corner of your browser when the achievement unlocks.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
I wouldn't compare it to Ascension, considering he's not adding/restoring any content.

Sure, it doesn't have the same scope, but it's still a dev taking time after the game is out to improve things and release his efforts to the public. Also Ascension wasn't much about adding content — except the Bhaalspawn powers, I guess — but more about changing boss encounters and the finale to make it much more challenging, while Sawyer's mod intends to make New Vegas more challenging by changing various values. The means may be differents but the objectives are the same.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
He's just writing about subjects that interest him.
But it's also the language he uses. PLATONIC FORMS OF THE MARGINALIZED

AMONG THE MYRIAD GAMES

MY OWN EXPERIENCE WITH NORMATIVE AUDIENCE EXPECTATIONS OF A CHARACTER IN A MARGINALIZED GROUP

Oh who gives a fuck if he is "pretentious" or not. At least he is someone who has enough respect for gamers to actually talk about game design in interviews instead of just spouting inane buzzwords like so many others. And he seems to actually care about his game enough to keep patching/modding it. That has to deserve some respect.
And language? Really? Someone using words you never use automatically makes him a pretentious fag?

I'm still not sure if I ever get around to trying this mod. There are couple of DLC's I haven't played yet but I'm getting really sick of the engine. I probably shouldn't have played NV so much when it came out.
*edit* I've just read those IGN comments. Seeing people write that F3 is better than NV in every way, and one guy actually stating how F3 felt more mature did make me want to replay NV sometime again. :lol:

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Ascension restored/added some (fairly significant) story content, though. Whether the game was better off for it is debatable.

What content exactly? All of the story changes take place at the very end when you confront Balthazar, allowing you to recruit him or Bodhi for the fight in the Throne, and some stuff involving Imoen and Sarevok — which may or may not have them turn against you depending on conversations you had with them during the game; I can't remember exactly — but other than that, the structure of the finale stays the same, and only the various fights are affected. So far, that's an alternate end-game with no addition or restored content, the kind that more than probably required a fair amount of work. There are important dialogs with Imoen and Sarevok, the kind that affects their fates, during the regular game, but those were already present before the Ascension, though they occured randomly; the only change the mod did was to force them to happen after certain events, if they didn't happen already.

Other than that, only the encounters with Demogorgon and The Five, with the exception of Sendai, were changed, and that's only the fights with them, not the story. There are also the Bhaalspawn powers and the Ravager form added, but that doesn't affect the story at all.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Your point is that "Ascension restored/added some (fairly significant) story content", and again I ask where it can be found. There nothing significant about the story, because only the finale is really affected by the mod, and the structure stays the same. Nothing is restored, for it needs to be cut in the first place. And lastly it doesn't count as an addition because it doesn't add to the old finale but replaces it with an alternate one.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
That's hardly major. It takes place only at the very end of the game, Bodhi/Irenicus will go back to being dead soon after being resurected, and the epilogues are flavour text that come after all is done. Recruiting Balthazar is a significant change, but more in terms of gameplay than story — if anything it is more coherent. The player still goes to the Throne of Bhaal and fights Melissan for godhood.

The point, which I made clear already but probably needs to be repeated, is that both mods have been made by developpers in their spare time after development for the game ended and aim to make the game, or part of the game, more challenging, and in the case of Ascension try to marginally alter the story to justify some of those changes. The mods obviously differ in their scope and methods.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I like Sawyer. He's a pen and paper player at heart. It doesn't always turn into the best stuff as far as games are concerned but the first time he's had near total control and his project actually got released it turned out pretty good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom