Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jefferson who?

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
Or who don't get why there are no cars in Fallout, despite the fact that they actually explained why no cars were running around within the game. The people who think Fallout 3 should be more cyberpunk or more like Mad Max also annoy me.

Yeah. They are a bundle of fun too. Almost as entertaining as those who get all pissed when you suggest that Fallout is an all-American theme and would not work well in whatever country they're from. Gets even funnier when they try to come up with methods for going overseas, or motivations. Still, they don't stay long most of the time. I would join the NMA boards, if I didn't suspect that it would suck up even more of my free time.

Isn't that what Jagged Alliance 2 did? The higher their morale was, the more control you had?

Not really. Low morale would make it so that they would sometimes run away from battle, or kill the merc that bugs them, etc. but high morale didn't give you more control, just a better result. I think that what Josh was talking about was more going from simple commands like "Act aggressive" to "Shoot that guy in the head". Not sure how it would be implemented, but it sounded fairly interesting.
I

Jarinor

Liturgist
At least Josh doesn't call them NPCs, but instead uses terms as CNPC or PNPC, although neither of them are quite accurate.

I actually like the term used in Wizardry 8 - RPC. Recruitable Player Character. I think it's better than either CNPC or PNPC, although pretty much anything would.

Almost as entertaining as those who get all pissed when you suggest that Fallout is an all-American theme and would not work well in whatever country they're from. Gets even funnier when they try to come up with methods for going overseas, or motivations.

Well, being that it took some 1950's American culture as an inspiration in parts, it's hard to see Fallout in a non-American setting. Still, it would be interesting to see, or even learn, what happened in other countries around the world. Were the minor nations less affected, and do they become the new world power?

I'm not suggesting the game should go in that direction, I just think it would fill out the story some more.

Ausir

Arcane
A group of Polish FO players is making a total FO mod based on Polish culture from the commie times, with Poland being communistic until 2077. I think such thing could be quite faithful to the spirit of Fallout, unlike most "ideas" abou FO in Europe.

Ausir

Arcane
Well, it WILL have super-mutants and other FO2 critters, but simply because of the limitations of a FO2 mod - they just can't add new critters then, so they made up something about FEV formula being stolen by Russians just prior to the War and tested on humans in Poland.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I am a huge fan of Fallout. Sometimes I imagine myself buying a shiny new copy of Fallout3, installing it, hearing familiar: "War...War never changes..." Then I visit the old Fallout forum, and all this talk about more guns, car combat, exotic vaults locations, and occasional "thought-provoking" discussions scare the hell out of me.

Fallout 1 was about ethics of post-nuclear society, Fallout 2 focused on how to build a better plasma gun, Fallout: Tactics was about milking the franchise... Makes you wander what kinda game F3 would be.

I'd rather bug you to make FAILSAFE: A POST ATOMIC CRPG!

All in favour of Failsafe say ay :lol:

triCritical

Erudite
Vault Dweller said:
Fallout 1 was about ethics of post-nuclear society, Fallout 2 focused on how to build a better plasma gun, Fallout: Tactics was about milking the franchise... Makes you wander what kinda game F3 would be.

Is it me, or did FO2 feel like a feudal WIld West.

Anyways something I would like to see revisited would be Wasteland. The first time I played that game was on an apple IIe and it blew me away.

Vault Dweller

Developer
A group of Polish FO players is making a total FO mod based on Polish culture from the commie times, with Poland being communistic until 2077. I think such thing could be quite faithful to the spirit of Fallout, unlike most "ideas" abou FO in Europe.

I don't really think that Fallout's 1950s American style would fit into communistic Poland circa 2077. They might have a great idea, but it has nothing to do with Fallout. Why not call it something else then? I'd love to have more bleak-future mods or games, but do all of them have to be called Fallout:something or other?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Ausir said:

The only problem I would see with such a thing is that most technology you see in Fallout is US tech. Vault-Tec, the Power Armors, most of the energy weapons, and so on were all US based. Also, you couldn't have a lot of the other staples of Fallout, like the FEV, Deathclaws, and so forth...

So, really.. Why bother? Why not just make a new setting?

Ausir

Arcane
About different settings... there *IS* a Polish indie post-apoc cRPG in the works called Trinity. Not much is known about it now though, except for some technical stuff.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Azael said:
Not really. Low morale would make it so that they would sometimes run away from battle, or kill the merc that bugs them, etc. but high morale didn't give you more control, just a better result.

Really? I've never had that happned to me. Usually, low morale mercs refuse to sign contracts, shoot poorly, and sometimes up and leaves. I've never had them shoot each other or flee.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Greenskin13 said:
Really? I've never had that happned to me. Usually, low morale mercs refuse to sign contracts, shoot poorly, and sometimes up and leaves. I've never had them shoot each other or flee.

Hmm, maybe that's only when you have two mercs in the same squad with clashing personalities? Can't remember exactly, been a while since it happened to me.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hey, Azael, I just read that thread about GTA:Fallout.. hah! hah!

Not funny. I have spoken with that guy in the past with regards to the FO timer. The bottomline is that he has never played FO1, and he is a FO2 fan. Personally I think that unless you play FO1, its difficult to even call yourself a fan of the series. Furthermore, this kind of post just backs up what Vault Dweller said. In FO2 it was about what kind of k3wl shotgun or plasma gun you had. Sometimes I don't know if I am just getting old. :(

Greenskin13

Erudite
Azael said:
Hmm, maybe that's only when you have two mercs in the same squad with clashing personalities? Can't remember exactly, been a while since it happened to me.

Like Buzz and Lynx? Heh heh, I've never seen them shoot each other, but when I order them to, their morale takes a huge bonus.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
triCritical said:
Not funny. I have spoken with that guy in the past with regards to the FO timer. The bottomline is that he has never played FO1, and he is a FO2 fan. Personally I think that unless you play FO1, its difficult to even call yourself a fan of the series. Furthermore, this kind of post just backs up what Vault Dweller said. In FO2 it was about what kind of k3wl shotgun or plasma gun you had. Sometimes I don't know if I am just getting old. :(

Well, it's not funny in the sense that those are the kind of people that BIS actually listens to, no.

Hell, you want to look at a lot of the problems in Fallout 2, you can trace them back to those old Fallout boards that Interplay had. The "OMFG! Real weapins wuld b sooo fukkin kewl!", "I wan to haff a dethclah n my partie!", "LOLOLOLOL! Therz a refarance to MAX MAD in Junkctown! FO2 needz moer ov that!", "d00d! Fawlout 2 shold be too times as big as Faulout! I wont to be level therty!" and general crap like that. The main problem with Fallout 2 was that BIS just wasn't good at filtering out the crap ideas from the good ideas in the forum.

You're right, Fallout 2 suffered from "More-ism". More types of NPCs, regardless of how silly an idea there was behind allowing them. More weapons, regardless of how they were balanced with the setting or even appropriate for it. More experience, regardless of how imbalanced the system got passed level 15.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Saint_Proverbius said:
Hey, Azael, I just read that thread about GTA:Fallout.. hah! hah!

I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Sure, there are certain aspects of GTA that could work in Fallout, but certainly not the ones that he suggested.

Araanor

Liturgist
Saint_Proverbius said:
That's pretty much how it is on the IPLY forums. That's also why I tend to avoid them these days. You can make a wonderfully illustrated point, and it typically either goes over their heads or they come up with something totally ignorant like, "You're not roleplaying your NPCs correctly."

I got tired with the place too. Don't make me remember ShadowPaladin...

PNPC is an oxymoron and CNPC isn't much more logical. Why not call it what it is, just PCs?

Azael: Yo. :)

Deathy

Liturgist
Because calling them Player Characters is inaccurate too.
The characters have their own personalities, so, in theory, they are NPC's.
If you were to create them on your own, however, they would be Player Characters. Most party based CRPG's do allow you to create your own party, and have you roleplay a group of people rather than a single character.
The problem with the Baldurs Gate system is that you do pick up NPC Companions, they retain their personalities (to a degree) but you have full control over them, and can break their personalities.
In effect, they are Player Controlled Non Player Characters. The very idea of this is poor game design.
And that's what pisses me off.

Jarinor

Liturgist
Which is why I like the Wizardry 8 system. NPC's you recruited wouldn't go into certain areas, had their own comments to make, and while the existence of a personality was debatable, the only real control you had over them was in combat. Couldn't force them to attack other people in your party, and if you did stuff they didn't like, they could leave. Pretty good system.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Azael said:
I don't know if I should laugh or cry. Sure, there are certain aspects of GTA that could work in Fallout, but certainly not the ones that he suggested.

I think a lot of that thinking is like this:

Chocolate cake is good.
Tuna salad is good.
A chocolate tuna salad cake would be twice as good!

They're just basing their idea on the fact that they enjoyed two different things without thinking of how incompatable they are. Really though, I got a little sick of the "Combine Fallout with <game>, that'd be AWESOME!" way back in the late 1990s, because those threads were so prevelent on the Fallout forums all over the place. It's sad they still exist.

Honestly, though, I don't even know why anyone would suggest GTA:Fallout if they'd played the game in a manner other than just shooting everyone in site.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Interesting, I was just thinking about using a similar analogy with Draconis, although I was going for pepperoni pizza and sundaes. They're good on their own, but I wouldn't want a pepperoni sundae.

Now he's asking me why a GTA: Fallout would be a rape of the setting. If he has to ask, I don't think I can give him an answer that will satisfy him. Any pointers?

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Fuse Fallout with every popular game

Age of Fallout

Resident Evil: Fallout

Fallout Fantasy (not Lionheart, the full squaresoft treatment, inane dirivitive plot, spikey hair and all)

EverFallout the MMORPG

Virtua Fallout Fighter

Dance Dance Fallout

ok I'm done :P

triCritical

Erudite
Azael said:
Interesting, I was just thinking about using a similar analogy with Draconis, although I was going for pepperoni pizza and sundaes. They're good on their own, but I wouldn't want a pepperoni sundae.

Now he's asking me why a GTA: Fallout would be a rape of the setting. If he has to ask, I don't think I can give him an answer that will satisfy him. Any pointers?

Simply put, FALLOUT is not about plasma rifles and shooting mutants in the boneyard. The happen in FO but they could very well happen in other games as well. Making a VC:FO by simply putting the backdrop and equipment found in FO does not make it an FO.

Vault Dweller

Developer
You know what? May be there should be GTA:Fallout. Why, do you ask?
The following are pseudo-intellectual musings that should not be taken too seriously :wink:

1. There are lotsa idiots out there. That's a fact. They are not able to understand the concept of what a rpg is, the gaming industry had to take a shooter, slap 3-4 stats on it, and call it an action rpg to get their attention (see my post on Harbinger review). Lotsa idiots + quick slumdunk = money for Interplay.

2. What many of you have already realized is that if the developer would listen to the old forums fans, you would not want to play Fallout 3 'cause it would start something like that:

In an undersea vault, the overseer dude summons the player dude and says that the forces of darkness are stirring up again. The player dude says that he is ready to kick ass and chew gum noting that he is all out of gum, and then asks for A-guns, lotsa guns or B-a lightsaber or C-a deathclaw to join his party. Then the player dude leaves the undersea vault in his amphibian 007-style vehicle.

Scary aint it? Well the solution is obvious, we need a decoy. Once GTA:Fallout is announced, all the idiots would migrate to the GTA:F forums and start shooting ideas thus leaving Fallout 3 forum unprotected. It's gonna be over befor they know it. The voice of reason will sound loud and clear once again, all other voices will be edited out by Azael's iron hand. :lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom