Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Jefferson who?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Azael said:
Now he's asking me why a GTA: Fallout would be a rape of the setting. If he has to ask, I don't think I can give him an answer that will satisfy him. Any pointers?

Ban them. The only argument against banning them is a quantity versus quality one, really. It's also better to lose a few people like him than the people who actually know what they're talking about.

Jarinor

Liturgist
Constipated Craprunner said:
Banning might be a little harsh.

It isn't if you can make up a fake reason which they can't deny, thus leaving them with a tainted image to everyone else on the board.

A former Admin sent me a PM, did not use a profanity for about 1,000 posts.

Damn, that's impressive. No swearing for 1000 posts...

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Remember when I was an asshole on DAC? A former Admin sent me a PM, did not use a profanity for about 1,000 posts.

Kreegle, right? He'd make a good mother some day. :D

People like Draconis and several of the others on the IPLY boards really seem beyond redemption though. You might try to explain things to them, using small words, but I think you're just spinning your wheels for the most part.

Really, some things shouldn't need explaining, like why GTA and Fallout aren't a good mix.

Vault Dweller said:
You know what? May be there should be GTA:Fallout. Why, do you ask?

The following are pseudo-intellectual musings that should not be taken too seriously

1. There are lotsa idiots out there. That's a fact. They are not able to understand the concept of what a rpg is, the gaming industry had to take a shooter, slap 3-4 stats on it, and call it an action rpg to get their attention (see my post on Harbinger review). Lotsa idiots + quick slumdunk = money for Interplay.

2. What many of you have already realized is that if the developer would listen to the old forums fans, you would not want to play Fallout 3 'cause it would start something like that:

In an undersea vault, the overseer dude summons the player dude and says that the forces of darkness are stirring up again. The player dude says that he is ready to kick ass and chew gum noting that he is all out of gum, and then asks for A-guns, lotsa guns or B-a lightsaber or C-a deathclaw to join his party. Then the player dude leaves the undersea vault in his amphibian 007-style vehicle.

Yes, many people are idiots. Most people won't get what makes a game special, or won't get the subtle parts of the setting. However, you shouldn't cater to them. BIS has been catering to idiots for years, and what's it gotten them? A forum full of idiots, that's what.

It's funny how many people show up in the BIS IRC channel, asking things like, "How do you play IWD2 in multiplayer?!" Ummm.. Maybe you click that button on the interface that says, "MULTIPLAYER!"

If you make a game tailored for those kind of people, all you're going to end up with is a user base of those kind of people. Most people don't like to be around idiots, so they leave. They go elsewhere, because it's not fun dealing with people that gosh darn stupid.

There are other problems, like clones not selling well. There are problems if it DOES sell well, like Interplay making a sequel to the idiot version while never funding a good version.

Chicago. And damn anyone who is not the same.
OTB actually. That was in the pre-KFC ToaB posts hayday, with wasteland and all.
God, I miss those days.
God.
Thought I was to young for nostolgia.
It's actually funny.
I watch alot of old Soviet cinema because things where not geared toward the lowest ring of society normally.
Alot of it have Socalist Realist bents, but overall (Solaris, Andrei Rublev, the Eisenstien films) they tend to be a little less stupid.
Damn, cant wait till the Republicans are out of Congress. :P
And about the maternal thing?
Didnt Killzig already "forcefully deflower him" during the purges?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Damn, cant wait till the Republicans are out of Congress. :P

I hope they stay in there forever. I'm sick of the democrats' happy horseshit. Take this capital gains tax thing. They're claiming it's a tax break for the rich, which is pure bullshit. Most people have retirement plans based on stock earnings. Therefore, to cash in that retirement plan, they're subject to capital gains taxes.

I also like their hypocrisy on the "Evironment". When the Republicans suggested letting logging companies clear strips of national forests for fire breaks because of all those wild fires we've been having for the last tens years, which is actually a WIN/WIN proposition, the democrats screamed and moaned about how they're wanting to clear the national forests. Like FIRE isn't doing that already because there aren't breaks in the forest coverage. Of course, with all the pissing and moaning Daschle did about it and how evil the Republicans were for suggesting it, he actually slipped a bit of pork in to a bill where it's okay to log strips of forest in his state, South Dakota.

Also, you have to love that the democrats are against school vouchers, which would allow parents in areas with poor schools to send their kids to better schools, which are magnet or pirvate schools. What exactly is the democrats' big argument against it? Don't they want poor people to have the same educational access their kids have? They talk about how the republicans are all about the rich, and how they're out to help the poor and middle income people, so why aren't they for this? Think about that. Jesse Jackson and Tom Daschle are two of the biggest proponents of this, guess where their kids went to school, and guess where their grandchildren go to school.. That's right, private schools.

triCritical

Erudite
Saint_Proverbius said:
I hope they stay in there forever. I'm sick of the democrats' happy horseshit. Take this capital gains tax thing. They're claiming it's a tax break for the rich, which is pure bullshit. Most people have retirement plans based on stock earnings. Therefore, to cash in that retirement plan, they're subject to capital gains taxes.

This is true. However, there is a lot of rich people whose biggest tax contributions are through capital gains.

Spazmo

Erudite
Let's not get sidetracked into a Rep. vs. Dem. discussion here. It might be interesting as a thread in its own right, but this isn't the place.

Based on what I've read about Jefferson thus far and what JE wants to do with it, I am maintaining a hope that it will be good. JE has suggested a lot of smart ideas and there's some interesting concepts going into Jefferson. I do wish they would announce the damn thing already.

Actually, that comment was nostolgia about some old HSM/ Saint discourses (read mud fights).
I tend to dislike and distrust Democrats, they seem to be pretty ambivilent in alot of areas.
Though as the second generation of Hispanic Americans rise the democrats will become more liberal and the Republicans will become quasi-nationalistic.
And dispite the fact that I do think that Saddam and a half a dozen other autocratic regiems should be dispatched, not without UN/Nato support should this be even considerd, and the the War situation is not helping the economy at all.
Jefferson? From what I have read it seems almost as though this whole Forgotten Realms things is smoke and mirrors. I actually think it's going to be a Brazil rpg, which gets me excited in so many ways I dont want to think about it.

MF

The Boar Studio
Patron
Developer
UN/Nato support

Haha. You make it seem like these two entirely seperate, often antagonistic entities are the same!

And dispite the fact that I do think that Saddam and a half a dozen other autocratic regiems should be dispatched, not without UN/Nato support should this be even considerd, and the the War situation is not helping the economy at all.

Please, the part of the UN that matters, the Security Council, is the U.S., Britain, France, China, and Russia. The reason France, China, and Russia don't want to rock the boat with Iraq is because they signed oil development contracts with good ol' Saddam for after things blow over. That's also why they've enabled him to get away with murder the past 11 years. If he's gone, guess how much those contracts will be worth. And then we get browbeaten for the mere perception of doing what's in our national interest above what's good for the world. Or else because our President's a big, bad oilman, take your pick.

As far as the war affecting the economy, uncertainty is what terrifies the stock market. Once a decision is made, regardless of what it is, things usually settle down. As far as the effects on our real economy, estimates are one of our typical overkill assaults would cost less than 1% of our GDP. It's nice being big. WWII, now there was something that affected the economy, I believe it was 40% of GDP per year maybe more. Plus, if we piss off the oil-producers and they decide to stick it to us, I'd welcome it, actually. It will cause plenty of short-term hurt, but it will create a real economic incentive to wean ourselves off of oil for good, which is great for both our long-term economic interests as well as the planet. Not to mention we can wash our hands of the Middle East for good except for purely humanitarian objectives. I'm still young enough that what happens 20 years from now is as important or more important as what happens today.

Okay, sorry for continuing the off-topic stuff, just had to jump in there.

I think it would be interesting if that fact was brought up in the UN.
I actually read that in the Chicago Tribune, and my more orthodox liberal friends dont agree with that, for some reason.
I still think that one of the most important alliances in 60 years should not be jepordized by a war with someone who might or might not have nukes, chems or bios.
Aaahhh, mental masterbation nostolgia.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The US gets what, about 15%, of it's oil from the Middle East, right? A little bit more now with the Venezuela issue I imagine. Doesn't sound like a source that is impossible to replace.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom