Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

John Deiley, creator of the talking deathclaws, explains their background and puts Chris Avellone on notice

.Pixote.

Augur
There should have been an option to send the Ghouls to the Underworld to live out their lives - maybe the player needs to clear of the feral Ghouls in the side wing for them. Lazy design from Bethesda in my opinion.

Beans00

Erudite
The only thing I learned from this thread is Josh Sawyer is slightly more incompetent then I thought he was.

Herumor

Scholar
People can remember an event different ways
What?

In the article that's been posted in the OP, it says the following:
Deiley also claims that Avellone refused to let him include pagans inside of The Nursery for the original, cancelled Fallout 3. Allegedly, after arguing his case, Avellone said “I’ve already made my decision” and “turned around and walked off”.
While Avellone himself straight up says there was clearly a pagan faction for Van Buren.

So this isn't a case of misremembering, but outright lying.
Deiley remembers Avellone telling him he didn't want his particular pagans in his game. That is not necessarily a lie.
Now you're grasping at straws. This dude just comes off as a bitter man, nothing else. At first it was that Avellone didn't want any pagans, now it's specifically this guy's take on pagans.

What if Avellone says the dude never even approached him with that, what's your next step in trying to explain this bullshit? "Well, maybe he dreamed it and just thought it actually happened."

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
There should have been an option to send the Ghouls to the Underworld to live out their lives - maybe the player needs to clear of the feral Ghouls in the side wing for them. Lazy design from Bethesda in my opinion.
Sounds like FO3 in general, really. Apparently Emil is a long time buddy of Todd's, which would explain why he keeps getting the job because it sure as hell ain't because of his ability to write.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
This dude just comes off as a bitter man, nothing else. At first it was that Avellone didn't want any pagans, now it's specifically this guy's take on pagans.
Deiley says in the interview that he was questioning Chris Avellone on why Avellone didn't want any pagans at all, asking him what happened to all the pagans when the bomb dropped and how none of them were left. That's honestly a shit take, since it's not like there's a huge amount of pagans in current day and I really doubt many of them are actually serious about it. Certainly not serious enough for them to carry it through a nuclear cataclysm and pass it on to the following generations. Of course, Interplay was in urban California, so there's probably a lot of those "new age" types there LARPing as druids or some other silly shit. Now, if you look at Fallout's setting as being written from the point of view of a sci-fi writer in the 1950s, it really doesn't make a lot of sense that there would be pre-war new age hippies running around in the 23rd century after a nuclear war. It would make more sense that some isolated tribal people that gathered together after several generations of coming out of a vault might develop their own pagan religion. It would make even more sense if they didn't come from a vault but some other type of shelter that didn't have anything like a GECK to give them a leg up on things once they opened up.

It very much could be that Deiley was pushing for pre-war pagans and he is either choosing piss poor words in his answers with The Gamer or just flat out lying to The Gamer. It could also be that The Gamer is poorly summarizing what Deiley is saying, inserting their own assumptions on what Deiley was trying to say there. We'll never really know unless we see the raw logs of the discussion. This is one reason why I hate interviews formatted like this, since we're not seeing the actual statements made by the interviewee. We're taking the word of The Gamer that's what Deiley was saying, and I think it's pretty clear that The Gamer has a bias against Avellone and has since at least the time of that #MeToo bullshit.

Deiley probably also has an axe to grind, but it's not definitive given The Gamer's slant on things.

Sinder Velvin

Arcane
Deiley probably also has an axe to grind, but it's not definitive given The Gamer's slant on things.

Deiley stopped working in the video game industry after Black Isle because Obsidian wouldn't hire him, so he's connecting some dots together and deciding it was Chris' fault (which it wasn't).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Now you're grasping at straws. This dude just comes off as a bitter man, nothing else. At first it was that Avellone didn't want any pagans, now it's specifically this guy's take on pagans.

What if Avellone says the dude never even approached him with that, what's your next step in trying to explain this bullshit? "Well, maybe he dreamed it and just thought it actually happened."
People can remember things different ways without either side intentionally lying. Tim Cain has talked about this in his video series even. :M

Codex USB, 2014
Realtalk: They should have been singing and rapping imo.

Think about it, they only just learned English so it would make sense if they tried to help learning the language by resorting to rhythm and rhyme.

"There's no need to fight or to stare at me in awe, I'm just a singing and rapping Deathclaw. Cease your hostilities, cease your assault, we're trying to live peacefully in our vault"

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
People can remember an event different ways
What?

In the article that's been posted in the OP, it says the following:
Deiley also claims that Avellone refused to let him include pagans inside of The Nursery for the original, cancelled Fallout 3. Allegedly, after arguing his case, Avellone said “I’ve already made my decision” and “turned around and walked off”.
While Avellone himself straight up says there was clearly a pagan faction for Van Buren.

So this isn't a case of misremembering, but outright lying.
Once again an attention whore bitch is spreading lies about Avellone and once again journalists just publish it because they're hateful and bitter or lazy and retarded, and they think they can get away with it just because they start off their article by writing "allegedly", which is one of the only things in that article that were actually written on a keyboard and not copy/pasted from Twitter or Reddit. Subhuman garbage.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title

A91OFZAsniM.jpg
You see a small girl wearing a yellow dress.
You cannot get there.

You see: computer.

The Codex in a nutshell. :greatjob:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Deiley stopped working in the video game industry after Black Isle because Obsidian wouldn't hire him, so he's connecting some dots together and deciding it was Chris' fault (which it wasn't).
Which makes you wonder why The Gamer is even talking to the guy since he hasn't been in game development for two decades. I can see a niche site having interest in what he says, like a Fallout fan site, but it's really odd for a general gaming website like The Gamer giving him the time of day considering he was just a normal tier game designer way back when. Oh yeah, aligned agendas.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which makes you wonder why The Gamer is even talking to the guy since he hasn't been in game development for two decades. I can see a niche site having interest in what he says, like a Fallout fan site, but it's really odd for a general gaming website like The Gamer giving him the time of day considering he was just a normal tier game designer way back when. Oh yeah, aligned agendas.
Fallout is huge now because of the tv show, he has Fallout stories.

Herumor

Scholar

People can remember things different ways without either side intentionally lying. Tim Cain has talked about this in his video series even. :M
Yeah, no, he looks to be lying or the people who interviewed him are showing it as if he's lying, given what Avellone said. As for what Tim Cain said, I don't really give a shit.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Sounds like FO3 in general, really. Apparently Emil is a long time buddy of Todd's, which would explain why he keeps getting the job because it sure as hell ain't because of his ability to write.
Emil Pagliarulo won and retained the position of narrative lead on AAA games through his brilliant ideas for main-quest narrative hooks:
  • Fallout 3: You are searching for your father
  • TES V Skyrim: You are the Dragonborn
  • Fallout 4: You are searching for your son
  • Starfield: You are the Starborn
  • TES VI: You are searching for your sibling
  • Fallout 5: You are the Nukaborn

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Emil Pagliarulo won and retained the position of narrative lead on AAA games through his brilliant ideas for main-quest narrative hooks:
  • Fallout 3: You are searching for your father
  • TES V Skyrim: You are the Dragonborn
  • Fallout 4: You are searching for your son
  • Starfield: You are the Starborn
  • TES VI: You are searching for your sibling
  • Fallout 5: You are the Nukaborn
I only recently found out about the Starborn thing in Starfield. I couldn't believe it. I thought it was the person commenting on the guy making a joke until he kept going with it so I looked it up.

Bulo

Scholar
I only recently found out about the Starborn thing in Starfield. I couldn't believe it. I thought it was the person commenting on the guy making a joke until he kept going with it so I looked it up.
A running joke in my circle is that Fallout 5 will feature a psychic protagonist whose powers are essentially Dragon Shouts from Skyrim, recycled as in Starfield

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
A running joke in my circle is that Fallout 5 will feature a psychic protagonist whose powers are essentially Dragon Shouts from Skyrim, recycled as in Starfield
Considering that Fallout 76's main threat are the dragons from skyrim with a new skin, you may be on to something.

9ted6

Educated
Rad shouts have been a joke for awhile, but with Starborn being a thing I think we'll seriously see them in 5.

Emil is on record saying that he wants radiation magic in Fallout.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom