Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Josh Sawyer Q&A Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Is Sawyer upset that heterosexual male writers like to describe attractive women and don't care to describe the details of men? Not everyone can be an autistic robot.

Efe

Erudite
or maybe hes implying/complaining about women being given privileged treatment over men.

Codex Year of the Donut

Are there any RPGs with a CC-licensed(or similar) campaign setting?
Not referring to the rules themselves(there's a lot of open systems), can't really think of any major campaign settings that don't have a copyright under lock and key. Call of Cthulhu sorta kinda I guess, but Chaosium are real dicks about it and try to claim everything.

Prime Junta

Is Sawyer upset that heterosexual male writers like to describe attractive women and don't care to describe the details of men? Not everyone can be an autistic robot.

He's also wrong.

Tony Reseck yawned. He put his head on one side and listened to the frail, twittery music from the radio room beyond a dim arch at the far side of the lobby. He frowned. That should be his radio room after one A.M. Nobody should be in it. That red-haired girl was spoiling his nights.

The frown passed and a miniature of a smile quirked at the corners of his lips. He sat relaxed, a short, pale, paunchy, middle-aged man with long, delicate fingers clasped on the elk's tooth on his watch chain; the long delicate fingers of a sleight-of-hand artist, fingers with shiny, molded nails and tapering first joints, fingers a little spatulate at the ends. Handsome fingers. Tony Reseck rubbed them gently together and there was peace in his quiet, sea-gray eyes.

I don't think I need to tell you who that's from, but it's the quintessential cishet white male writer.

The Real Fanboy

He's also wrong.

Tony Reseck yawned. He put his head on one side and listened to the frail, twittery music from the radio room beyond a dim arch at the far side of the lobby. He frowned. That should be his radio room after one A.M. Nobody should be in it. That red-haired girl was spoiling his nights.

The frown passed and a miniature of a smile quirked at the corners of his lips. He sat relaxed, a short, pale, paunchy, middle-aged man with long, delicate fingers clasped on the elk's tooth on his watch chain; the long delicate fingers of a sleight-of-hand artist, fingers with shiny, molded nails and tapering first joints, fingers a little spatulate at the ends. Handsome fingers. Tony Reseck rubbed them gently together and there was peace in his quiet, sea-gray eyes.

I don't think I need to tell you who that's from, but it's the quintessential cishet white male writer.

John Green?

deuxhero

Arcane

Are there any RPGs with a CC-licensed(or similar) campaign setting?
Not referring to the rules themselves(there's a lot of open systems), can't really think of any major campaign settings that don't have a copyright under lock and key. Call of Cthulhu sorta kinda I guess, but Chaosium are real dicks about it and try to claim everything.

I think the only remotely free licensed setting period that isn't just myths/legends or famous things that have slipped into the public domain and every nobody has their take on that ignores everybone but themselves and the original (Sherlock Holmes) is some public domain comics.

just

Liturgist
kojima's ego is off the charts these days.
literally him
wojak_07.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.jpg

Codex Year of the Donut
The idea that everyone who contributes is equal is bullshit. Some people contribute far more than others and without them the project either wouldn't exist or would be radically different. These people are almost exclusively in leadership roles.
Let me put it this way: There's a reason Sawyer's name is the first name you see in the New Vegas credits.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The idea that everyone who contributes is equal is bullshit. Some people contribute far more than others and without them the project either wouldn't exist or would be radically different. These people are almost exclusively in leadership roles.
Let me put it this way: There's a reason Sawyer's name is the first name you see in the New Vegas credits.
There's also a reason the Pillars games aren't as good as New Vegas.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
A Josh Sawyer game means the dialogue equivalent of watching paint dry and the chasing of a particular kind of shiny objects.

Tigranes

Arcane

I agree. I also don't see anything in this page claiming that everybody contributes 'equally'.

I think the more important point he makes is how a particular auteur or studio style often depends on several pieces of the puzzle staying together - a director and actor, two musicians in a band, three or four developers in a game studio - and you see how it loses its shine when the genius is left without the supporting cast.

Codex Year of the Donut

I agree. I also don't see anything in this page claiming that everybody contributes 'equally'.

I think the more important point he makes is how a particular auteur or studio style often depends on several pieces of the puzzle staying together - a director and actor, two musicians in a band, three or four developers in a game studio - and you see how it loses its shine when the genius is left without the supporting cast.
A JOSH SAWYER GAME means a high-level concept in my head was collaboratively realized & created through the work of dozens of extraordinary leads, subleads, producers, staff-level devs, testers, and contract workers. Without their creativity and talent "my" games wouldn't exist.
The massive majority of the people that would be included by his mentions are replaceable(basically everyone at staff-level and down) with a very similar if not identical end result.
Many games in the same series have changed radically by changing only one or two people in key roles. Yet dozens of staff-level employees, testers, etc., can be replaced and nobody notices the difference.

Tigranes

Arcane
Sure. I don't know who/what you're arguing against, though. No lead is gonna say on twitter "a few of my collaborators are irreplaceable but all the gooks below sure are". Not that anyone actually even talked about 'equally irreplaceable' until you made it a thing

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom