Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info Josh Sawyer's GDC Next Presentation Video

Discussion in 'News & Content Feedback' started by Infinitron, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    RPG Wokedex Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Tags: J.E. Sawyer; Obsidian Entertainment; Pillars of Eternity

Back in November, Josh Sawyer gave a presentation about Pillars of Eternity (still known as Project Eternity back then) at the GDC Next conference. The presentation slides were released soon after that, but the video of the presentation remained locked behind a paywall at the GDC Vault website...until today, that is, when they released it for free. Yay!

The presentation is half an hour long and covers a variety of aspects of Eternity's design, such as difficulty modes, graphical style and user interface, and the game's textual nature. There is also a large emphasis on the technical challenges of rendering the game's large prerendered levels and combining 3D characters with 2D environments. I think I can also claim some responsibility for Josh's answer to the question he gets asked at the end.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Any highlights?

^ Top  
  3. Cosmo Arcane

Cosmo
    Project: Eternity
    Sawyer's balding and he looks like a 45 year old middle school teacher.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  4. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Yeah I'm seeing it now. Holy shit the audio is low.

^ Top  
  5. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    What I found interesting, though may be old news:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Excidium P. banal

Self-Ejected
    Yeah old news.

^ Top  
  7. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    After a wave of new interviews I dont think that there will be anything new there. But nevertheless will watch tomorrow .

^ Top  
  8. ColCol Arcane

ColCol
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. cherry blossom Arcane

cherry blossom
    Roguey was there, obsessively taking good long shots of Sawyer:

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Gurkog Erudite

Gurkog
    Project: Eternity
    Enjoyed the video, but I wish his speech was longer and more in-depth. Looking forward to flailing about like a beached whale in Pillars. +M

^ Top  
  11. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I find it sort of unbelievable that a game of Project Eternity's scope can be out in 2014.

^ Top  
  12. jagged-jimmy Prophet

jagged-jimmy
    Codex 2012
    Yeah, it sounded pretty ambitious. Big cities, exploration areas, mini text adventures, NPC interaction, etc... Hope they are the pros, who can pull this off with some passion.

^ Top  
  13. Diggfinger Cipher

Diggfinger
    Hope this turns out decent - really hope they make it short and sweat rather than super long and buggy etc.

^ Top  
  14. Oesophagus Arcane

Oesophagus
    Hope they can avoid a bugfest, Obsidian needs to break the charm

^ Top  
  15. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Finally got the time to watch this. JES is not as good at this stuff as MCA, but still it was pretty cool. Great to hear there will be some focus on wilderness exploration, BG2 was severely lacking in this aspect (not to even mention IWD). Basically, I liked everything that was shown/told.

If the game lives up to the expectations it might actually be more than just a nostalgia trip (good for what it is, but inferior to the originals, like Wasteland 2 appears to be atm), but an actual improvement over them. And that would be true :incline: .

^ Top  
  16. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    The focus on wilderness exploration depends entirely on meeting their additional stretch goals for it since at the moment they have fewer of those maps than BG2.

^ Top  
  17. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer Sad Loser

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    They already broke it with Dungeon Siege 3.

^ Top  
  18. MicoSelva Prestigious Gentleman Don't call Abigail Patron

MicoSelva
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
  19. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    ^ Top  
  20. Minttunator Arcane Patron

Minttunator
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Nice presentation! I'm pretty happy with more or less everything he talked about - even the wilderness areas, which I wasn't a huge fan of in, say, BG1. They could actually be cool if the Obsidian bros can make them more diverse and interesting (higher content density) than they were in the IE games.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.