Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News JoWood Focuses on RPGs

Fez

Erudite
The first super nintendo RPG was not to shabby either, it did benefit from the help of Square though. It wasn't my favourite on that system though. The graphics at the time were impressive, I seem to recall.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Sarvis said:
If he'd <i>played</i> the game his statement would be fine. He hasn't, therefore his statement is meaningless. For all he knows it is on the level of Fallout, he has nothing to base his judgement on.

How about a fucking screen shot, Sarvis how old are you?

I liked the first Super Mario RPG though, it was really good...

there you have it, you're of the pre disposition to enjoy these types of games.
I'm not, hence my opinion. My statement is only meaningless if you're a dipshit who likes playing RPG's designed for pre schoolers.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
For what it was, the first Mario RPG for the SNES, was a decent little title when it came to console RPGs at the time. Graphics were pretty impressive and the typical console RPG gameplay was there as well, all done in a nice little package. Too bad it got really old about halfway through it. The story just seemed to fizzle out and I lost complete interest in it at that point.

Sarvis

Erudite
Sheriff05 said:
Sarvis said:
If he'd <i>played</i> the game his statement would be fine. He hasn't, therefore his statement is meaningless. For all he knows it is on the level of Fallout, he has nothing to base his judgement on.

How about a fucking screen shot, Sarvis how old are you?

:roll:

What are you, 5? Hell even when I was 5 I didn't judge a game just by a single screenshot. I guess you're qualified to judge the graphics now though. Are the graphics at the level of Fallout? Go ahead and speak on the only thing you're qualified to.

there you have it, you're of the pre disposition to enjoy these types of games.
I'm not, hence my opinion. My statement is only meaningless if you're a dipshit who likes playing RPG's designed for pre schoolers.

What exactly is "this type of game" in reference to Paper Mario. You don't know anything about it. It could be nothing at all like Super Mario RPG. In fect, I bet it isn't all that similar since there is no longer any Square influence.

<b>Otaku, Fez</b>

I didn't say it was my favorite game, just said I liked it... heh.

Final Fantasy 3/6j is my favorite console RPG. Not sure where I would put it in comparison to PC games like the old Pool of Radiance or ToEE though...

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Console RPGs are console RPGs and I judge them solely based on that fact. The same goes with cRPGs. I keep them in their own classes simply because they ARE their own classes. There have been attempts to bring console style RPGs to the computer and they have not done well. There was also an attempt to bring a computer RPG to console (Diablo) and it also did not do so well. Matter of fact, it plain ass sucked.

Each class draws their own crowd and alot of console RPGers I've known feel daunted by the RPGs released on computer simply because they don't wish to deal with the complexity of managing their character. They just want to wander around, fight shit, and watch cinematics. They don't want massive dialogue choices or anything like that. And it's vice versa when it comes to some of the more elitists in the cRPG crowd. They absolutely abhor console RPGs because of their simplicity.

Me? I don't care. I love gaming. Period. I prefer the deep complexity offered in most cRPGs over the simplicity of console RPGs, but I can take either or. No biggie to me. I'll gladly hold my copy of FF9 high right alongside the likes of FO. Is FF9 equal to or better than FO? No. Not really. But it's the console equivalent of FO to me, if that makes sense to anyone. If not, oh well. I'm gonna go play Hitman.

Sarvis

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Console RPGs are console RPGs and I judge them solely based on that fact. The same goes with cRPGs. I keep them in their own classes simply because they ARE their own classes. There have been attempts to bring console style RPGs to the computer and they have not done well. There was also an attempt to bring a computer RPG to console (Diablo) and it also did not do so well. Matter of fact, it plain ass sucked.

Each class draws their own crowd and alot of console RPGers I've known feel daunted by the RPGs released on computer simply because they don't wish to deal with the complexity of managing their character. They just want to wander around, fight shit, and watch cinematics. They don't want massive dialogue choices or anything like that. And it's vice versa when it comes to some of the more elitists in the cRPG crowd. They absolutely abhor console RPGs because of their simplicity.

Me? I don't care. I love gaming. Period. I prefer the deep complexity offered in most cRPGs over the simplicity of console RPGs, but I can take either or. No biggie to me. I'll gladly hold my copy of FF9 high right alongside the likes of FO. Is FF9 equal to or better than FO? No. Not really. But it's the console equivalent of FO to me, if that makes sense to anyone. If not, oh well. I'm gonna go play Hitman.

FF9 was good.. but THAT good? Nah. That's FF6, or FF10 maybe... hehe.

I tend to prefer console RPGs I think, but it's not because of complexity or anything like that. It usually just seems like combat is much more fun in console RPGs, whereas in a lot of computer RPGs it can be tedious. I downloaded the Arcanum demo and absolutely hated the combat in like 5 minutes, NWNs combat is very much it's weakest point and I didn't like the real time combat of Baldur's Gate. Another thing is that console RPGs still tend to feature TURN BASED combat, which is great... though with FF12 that might be changing. :( ToEE was great though, and the old Gold Box games...

Of course, since my computer sucked so badly for so many years my PC experience is a bit limited... heh. Fallout should be here soon, but I tried the demo of that too and the combat didn't seem that great.

Surlent

Liturgist
I consider FF6 and FF7 the high point of the seris and after them comes closely FF4 and FF5.
But I haven't playd the new ones like FFX or FFXI.

Opposite to Sarvis, I prefer crpgs.
In console rpgs, there's hell lot of random encounters of the same enemies, which makes the combat self repeating attack&heal. In boss fights you just use the most damaging special skills/spells.

Some console rpgs are exceptions to the rule though, Chronotrigger and Seiken Densetsu 2-3 (Seiken Densetsu 2 is also known as Secret of Mana in US/EU ) didn't have random encounters.

Fez

Erudite
Have you tried any other PC RPGs? Especially ones with turn-based combat, like Fallout 1 + 2, Avernum and Geneforge. There are lots of good examples. Arcanum was notorious for having poor combat, it's saving grace was the interesting setting and story. You'd like it more if you prefer diplomat/thief characters.

The demo of Fallout was more a sort of tech demo, it's ancient. The combat is better in the full game and the sequel had a few nice additions too, but remember that it is also a role-playing game, not just a squad-based tactical game. If you want turn based combat with little RPG elements, try the Jagged Alliance games or the Silent Storm games. You should ahve a look around the forums you'll find no end of suggestions. Gearhead has quite fun combat too. You should seriously consider giving Anachronox a go too, superb story and enviroment and it is heavily influenced by the console style RPGs. It was made on the Quake 2 engine so it should run on your machine OK if Q2 runs fine.

I think you've just been unfortunate in your choice of PC games so far, there are bound to be ones to suit your taste.

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
Have you tried any other PC RPGs? Especially ones with turn-based combat, like Fallout 1 + 2, Avernum and Geneforge. There are lots of good examples. Arcanum was notorious for having poor combat, it's saving grace was the interesting setting and story. You'd like it more if you prefer diplomat/thief characters.

The demo of Fallout was more a sort of tech demo, it's ancient. The combat is better in the full game and the sequel had a few nice additions too, but remember that it is also a role-playing game, not just a squad-based tactical game. If you want turn based combat with little RPG elements, try the Jagged Alliance games or the Silent Storm games. You should ahve a look around the forums you'll find no end of suggestions. Gearhead has quite fun combat too. You should seriously consider giving Anachronox a go too, superb story and enviroment and it is heavily influenced by the console style RPGs. It was made on the Quake 2 engine so it should run on your machine OK if Q2 runs fine.

I think you've just been unfortunate in your choice of PC games so far, there is bound to be ones to suit your taste.

Have played both Avernum 2 and 3. With both of them I really enjoy combat at the early levels but once I start getting towards the end of the game it gets boring. Geneforge is ok, but not really that great. I keep meaning to buy GF2 since I was starting to get hooked into the story when I started hitting the demo limits. I think I always meant to try Anachronox but just never got around to it... heh.

Money is, sadly, a big limiting factor... I usually only end up getting one or two games a year. Though that may be changing in the near future...

Fez

Erudite
At least the games mentioned are all within the budget ranges, you'll be able to find lots of old but good games on the abandonware scene too. If you don't mind older graphics then that would be a good way for you to go. Plus it would let you get an idea of what kind of games on the PC you prefer, without spending money.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Storywise, yes FF6 was the pinnacle of the FF series. The reason I love 9 so much though is for the system they have of learning skills. I like it alot more than the materia systerm of FF7. Plus, I really liked a couple of the characters. FF9 has some of my favorite characters in any console RPG period. So it boils down to FF3/6 for sheer emotional impact and story, and FF9 for the gameplay mechanics and certain characters.

Anachronox.... oh Anachronox. Alas, I cannot find my copy and cannot find it anywhere for sale. Perhaps someday I will come across it once again. For now though, I must mourn the loss of my copy and just go on with life. :cry:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
FF6, and FF8 are my favorites FFs. FF2, 7, and 10 are runnerups. Don't get me started on the piece of crap FFs known as FF5, and FFT. *puke*

Sarvis

Erudite
Volourn said:
FF6, and FF8 are my favorites FFs. FF2, 7, and 10 are runnerups. Don't get me started on the piece of crap FFs known as FF5, and FFT. *puke*

Somehow it makes perfect sense that you would like FF8 and NOT FFT.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not my fault that you like shitty games like FFT. Nor is it my fault you are a dumbfuck. Either way, you lose.

Fez

Erudite
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Anachronox.... oh Anachronox. Alas, I cannot find my copy and cannot find it anywhere for sale. Perhaps someday I will come across it once again. For now though, I must mourn the loss of my copy and just go on with life. :cry:

I'm betting that it would be easy to find on P2P or maybe off of a friend as it had very poor protection.

FFT has totally different combat to those other games, I'd say it was just a matter of tastes, some love it, some hate it. I liked both kinds and there are plenty here who hate them all. :P

Have you tried the gameboy and PSX versions?

Sarvis

Erudite
Fez said:
Otaku_Hanzo said:

I'm betting that it would be easy to find on P2P or maybe off of a friend as it had very poor protection.

FFT has totally different combat to those other games, I'd say it was just a matter of tastes, some love it, some hate it. I liked both kinds and there are plenty here who hate them all. :P

Have you tried the gameboy and PSX versions?

The gameboy version isn't nearly as good. The combat is way too easy, to the point where I think I only ever lost one battle. Meanwhile in the PSX version many of the battles took me several tries to beat!

And Volourn's reaction wasn't surprising because he thinks NWN has tactical combat... so of course a game with actual tactics is probably going to scare him! ;)

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
FFT on the PSX is the definitive version of the game and truly a wonderful game. I'm still a big Ogre Battle/Tactics Ogre fan though. I still have OB for the SNES, although I'll only play it on an emulator now so I can save anywhere. Some of those maps took HOURS to complete and not being able to save was fucked up. Still, OB is probably my favorite strategy console title.

Exitium said:
I'm sorry, but that belongs to ChronoTrigger.

CT was a great game with some awesome writing. Most definitely. But it just didn't have the grit that FF6 had. Not once in CT did I ever feel emotions rising within me strong enough that I actually expressed them openly. That happened alot when I was playing FF6. Therefore, I have to say that FF6 is definitely one of the best written console RPGs of all time. But, that's my opinion. Like I said, CT was a very awesome game and definitely up there with FF6, Lufia And The Fortress Of Doom, and Earthbound as my fave SNES rpgs.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
"And Volourn's reaction wasn't surprising because he thinks NWN has tactical combat... so of course a game with actual tactics is probably going to scare him!"

Hahah. FFT is misnamed. The only tatic is needed is click, lcik, click on your enemy. No tatics whatsoever. Boring. NWN has more tatics in its middle finger than FFT has completely. Not to mention, TOEE, FO, the IE games, KOTOR (whose combat I dislike to a degree), and a host of other games has better tatics than FFT. Heck, pinball has ddeper tatics than FFT.

R00fles!

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Not really. Just more than FFT. That's not saying much though.

Fez

Erudite
That's a big vauge Volourn, care to elaborate?

Volourn

Pretty Princess
How is it vauge? It's not even vague.

KOTOR lacks tatics. FFT lacks them even more. Inspite of its name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom