Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

    "This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News JoWood is Walkin' with Jesus

Jason

chasing a bee
Joined
Jun 30, 2005
Messages
10,737
Location
baby arm fantasy island
Tags: JoWood Productions

<p><a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13236" target="_blank">According to RPG Watch</a> and their German sources, <strong>JoWood</strong> is no more.</p>
<ul>
<li>Negotiations with possible investors, and with them the intended restructuring plan, have failed.</li>
<li>JoWooD pulls back the application to pursue a restructuring plan.</li>
<li>Thereby the insolvency with a planned restructuring becomes an insolvency without a positive continuation prognosis.</li>
<li>This means the liquidation proceedings will start shortly.</li>
<li>The daughter company JoWooD Distribution Services GmbH files for insolvency on April 21st 2011.</li>
<li>Trading of the JoWooD shares at the Vienna Stock Exchange has been suspended.</li>
</ul>
<p>I'd ask our resident Germans to look into this further, but they're either too busy gloating or on "eastern vacation" (which is likely a euphemism for something hideous even by German standards).</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p><em>Thanks to Metro for pointing this out</em>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>Spotted at: <a href="http://www.rpgwatch.com/">RPG Watch</a></p>
 

ElectricOtter

Guest
That's what they get for condemning the Gothic series. Karma, bitches!
 

Shannow

Waster of Time
Joined
Sep 15, 2006
Messages
6,386
Location
Finnegan's Wake
I'd ask our resident Germans to look into this further, but they're either too busy gloating or on "eastern vacation" (which is likely a euphemism for something hideous even by German standards).
What exactly would you like to know?

Oh and *gloat*
 
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,207
Location
The island of misfit mascots
ElecTriCotter said:
That's what they get for condemning the Gothic series. Karma, bitches!

Choices and Consequences:)

They used intelligence as a dump stat, and so they couldn't access the '[intelligence] Direct combat against better funded companies like Bioware is insane. We should avoid confrontation by targeting the market segments that they aren't satisfying.' dialogue option.
 

baronjohn

Cipher
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
2,383
Location
USA
Lets hope the awesome guys at Bethesda buy the IP and continue the Gothic series ;)
 

Blind Eye

Scholar
Joined
Apr 10, 2008
Messages
243
Location
The society of bitchers and whiners.
They're walking with Jesus so he can explain to them all the terrible things they did before he sends them to hell.

1. Treating PB like shit.

2. Releasing buggy, broken games long before they're ready.

3. Not supporting their buggy, broken games with patches.

4. Treating customers like shit.

5. The complete rape and molestation of the Gothic franchise.

Any I'm forgetting???

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
 

Trojan_generic

Magister
Joined
Jul 21, 2007
Messages
1,565
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Azrael the cat said:
They used intelligence as a dump stat, and so they couldn't access the '[intelligence] Direct combat against better funded companies like Bioware is insane. We should avoid confrontation by targeting the market segments that they aren't satisfying.' dialogue option.

That's well said, BRO. Although the segment in question is "everybody under 16 years of age or with that level of thinking" and therefore not much of a segment.
 

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
3,230
Wasteland 2
Winston Churchill said:
The German war is therefore at an end. After years of intense preparation, Jowood hurled herself on Piranha Bytes at the beginning of September, 1939; and, in pursuance of our guarantee to Pyranha Bytes and in agreement with the Worldofgothic, The Great Codex, the Codexian Empire and Commonwealth of RPG sites, declared war upon this foul aggression. After the gallant WorldofGothic had been struck down we, from this site and from our united Empire, maintained the struggle single-handed for a whole year until we were joined by the military might of CDProjectRed, and later by the overwhelming power and resources of the United States of Kwanzania.

Finally almost the whole world was combined against the evil-doers, who are now prostrate before us. Our gratitude to our splendid Allies goes forth from all our hearts in this site and throughout the Codexian Empire.

:obviously:
 

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
7,671
One less, God bless! Next meal in our menu is Bethesda Softworks.
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
7,428
Location
Villainville
MCA
baronjohn said:
Lets hope the awesome guys at Bethesda buy the IP and continue the Gothic series ;)

Luckily, JW was only a licensee of the IP for a "Gothic 3" (for which they commissioned Forsaken Gods) and a single "Gothic 4" title, which is why they ran into legal issues for trying to sneak out a Gothic 4 expansion which, although developed, could not be released. IP safely stays with PB.

Fowyr said:
One less, God bless! Next meal in our menu is Bethesda Softworks.

In your dreams. Bethesda is a juggernaught at this point. Their position is even better than BioWare, being a single developer+publisher house from the beginning, with ever growing strong distribution deals (Take2, Steam atm). Seeing the trend and knowing EA, I wouldn't be surprised to see BioWare go down burning within the next decade, but I expect (not wish) Bethesda to stay a strong player for at least that long.

Tragic thing is, there is no reason for Bethesda to not do great games. It's all up to a few silly guys with silly opinions (Pete, Todd & co) handing down design guidelines, otherwise their "work ethic" (development cycle, more or less an established idea of what to expect from a Bethesda-developed title) has stayed stable through years. New Vegas already proved that better quest design and writing DOES sell, as long as it is aimed at an established fan base and has got the PR, both of which Bethesda excels at. They have all the potential and means to sell great games but they have retards running the show.
 

Black

Arcane
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
1,872,788
If all goes well bioware will go down after TOR fails.
 
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,207
Location
The island of misfit mascots
Morgoth said:
Now that Judenwood is gone, does that mean Gothic goes back to PB?

Yes. When PB entered the publishing deal with Jowood, they were smart/lucky enough to get away with only licensing the IP to the publisher, instead of handing it over outright, so it was scheduled to return to PB after Gothic 4 anyway. That's partially why they were able to walk away from Jowood so easily (and also speaks miles for Jowood's ineptitude in failing to secure ownership of the IP before 'firing' the developer).
 

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Joined
May 12, 2010
Messages
1,865,249
Location
Where one can weep in peace
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Bravo! About fucking time. Jowood weren't always bad, but they got greedy and pissed on the fanbase of the products they were making and met a justified end. Roll on Bioware....when will the bell toll for thee?
 

misha

Educated
Joined
Sep 20, 2009
Messages
64
Location
Cracow
villain of the story said:
New Vegas already proved that better quest design and writing DOES sell, as long as it is aimed at an established fan base and has got the PR, both of which Bethesda excels at. They have all the potential and means to sell great games but they have retards running the show.

Well let's hope that Bethesda will learn that, because this better writing was made by obsidian, not Bethboys :D

We will see in what condition PB really is after risen2 :)
 
Joined
Apr 2, 2010
Messages
7,428
Location
Villainville
MCA
Morgoth said:
Now that Judenwood is gone, does that mean Gothic goes back to PB?

REDDING IS TEH HARD!

FFS!


misha said:
villain of the story said:
New Vegas already proved that better quest design and writing DOES sell, as long as it is aimed at an established fan base and has got the PR, both of which Bethesda excels at. They have all the potential and means to sell great games but they have retards running the show.

Well let's hope that Bethesda will learn that, because this better writing was made by obsidian, not Bethboys :D

No shit, Sherlock. I was referring to the fan base and PR.
 

Alex

Arcane
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
8,817
Location
São Paulo - Brasil
I don't know if this really is good news. For all we know, the people responsible for all the bad decisions will move on to other endeavors (maybe other game companies, maybe other businesses). If so, the only immediate result this will have is that a few people who had nothing to do with the Gothic fiasco lose their jobs. Furthermore, the less publishing houses there are, the more powerful the ones that exist are, and this is obviously bad for the developers.
 
Joined
Nov 1, 2008
Messages
7,953
Location
Cuntington Manor
Alex said:
I don't know if this really is good news. For all we know, the people responsible for all the bad decisions will move on to other endeavors (maybe other game companies, maybe other businesses). If so, the only immediate result this will have is that a few people who had nothing to do with the Gothic fiasco lose their jobs. Furthermore, the less publishing houses there are, the more powerful the ones that exist are, and this is obviously bad for the developers.

If there are 5 turds, and one sinks, that leaves you with 4. Turds that is.

A true loss if turd is your particular weakness.
 

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom