Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Just for kicks, Bitterman's Fallout rant

Transcendent One

Liturgist
KotOR isn't turn based, it's real time with personal initiative rounds. There's a difference.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
What is this guys problem with the FO community anyway? The community is the one that is probably the first to criticize a bad game and alert the public.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Rounds =/= turns.

Turn-based is when characters move ONE at a time. In KotOR, there's just a personal initiative round for each character which means that a character at one point in a 6 second round will make his actions and you can only guess as to where that point is and whether the opponent will already have his before that.

Rosh

Erudite
S4ur0n27 said:
You didn't understand.

KOTOR's combat system is made of turns (rounds).

owned-wheelchair.jpg

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
S4ur0n27 said:
You didn't understand.

KOTOR's combat system is made of turns (rounds).

Rounds and turns aren't the same thing. A round is a complete phase of combat between every combatant. A turn is a single phase per combatant.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
No, it had rounds, dipshit. Turns are where each individual has it's own time reference frame by itself and nothing else does anything. If you can be toss a grenade while something is moving, there are no turns. It's that damned simple.

There's a reason they're called turns, as in It's your turn, not my turn. If A and B are both doing something at the same time, there are no turns. A and B are not taking their turn, they're doing things simultaneously. Simultaneous actions do not occur in turn based, period.

S4ur0n27

Liturgist
Muh. Isn't the game based on the D20 system? I meant there are turns, or rounds if you prefer, you don't see them, it doesn't pause at the end of each turn, but there are initiative rolls and actions aren't just random, like in a FPS. That's what I meant. The computer calculate the turns.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
TURNS AND ROUNDS ARE NOT THE SAME THING. THEY NEVER WERE THE SAME THING, NEVER, EVER, EVER. JUST BECAUSE THEY USE DICE ROLLS AND THE SIX SECOND ROUND DOES NOT MAKE IT TURN BASED BECAUSE ACTIONS DONE IN THAT ROUND ARE SIMULTANEOUS.

Spazmo

Erudite
Susan, for shit's sake, think a little. Haven't you noticed how much we like to say that BioWare's games are horrible bastardizations of D&D and the d20 system? Is it then so surprising that the turns were dumped for rounds?

Jehosaphat, you really am nub.

Rosh

Erudite
S4ur0n27 said:
Fuck you people. KOTOR has turns but there isn't any pause between them.

owned-dell.jpg

And that's after you publicly admitted you have no clue about what you're attempting to talk about.

For more humor, check the thread at NMA again. For even more humor, check out Bootcut in this thread.

kenney bounces

Liturgist
hmmm

Ok i'm not really sure about turns and rounds...BUT, i think :

Rounds = 6 seconds
Turn = 10 rounds

Wasn't it? hmmmmm.... I can't remember, but i think i read it somewhere a long long time ago when i played BG 1.

*bounce bounce*

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Not the same thing, asshat. Stop playing with semantics or it will own your face several times over.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom