Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

PanteraNera

Arcane
even though I can never return to the Holy Nation lands now (have non-human companions now)
Only true for Skeletons and using robotic prosthesis.

You still can go into towns, buy stuff, bring bounties, recruit, they only say stuff like "We don't like your company".
Also always make sure to let a male Greenlander do the talking.

Thought this one time I encountered a high Paladin on the road and he asked me about my Sheks, told him they were my slaves. Well he wanted them to go to Rebirth. I said that they are fine with me, than I realized that he was talking with my female Scorchlander, as he said something like "I do not think a woman can handle these creatures". Well, than the fight started as I wouldn't let them take Maag away from me (and a couple more Sheks). Uhm yeah. I think I could have talked my way out if I initiated the conversation with my male Greenlander ;) .

Beastro

Arcane
Found an interesting mod that mods the Holy Sword start to make the sword a unique item rather than simply a Tier 1 Skellie Smith Nodachi. Only problems are it resticts the start to a Greenlander, restricts the sword to only be equipped by Greenlanders, the sword isn't uniquely powerful but ridiculously OP (8.0 cutting damage, 100%+ bonus to humans, 300% or so for Skellies) and the damn mod file is a .mod that I can't find a way to edit to change these things.

Anyone know a good .mod editing program? I hate looking around for shit like that and wading through stuff to find a clean, free version.

Last edited:

Deleted Member 16721

It's contraband legit merchants don't see in and the Shinobi guys massively undercut the sell price.

I don't understand why they introduced it only to then make it irrelevant.

I dunno, I just made a profit with it. Went from Shark with about 75 bundles and sold it to the Shinobi Thieves who gave me 350%+ the price I paid for it at The Hub. I was leaving the swamp anyway so it worked for me...

Deleted Member 16721

My plan was to build an outpost near Shark in the swamp and run Hashish to the Hub with my pack bull and some guards, but that's not happening because the swamp is too deadly. But if you go right to The Hub you'll make a good profit on the hashish.

Ironmonk

Augur
did you check this page?

http://kenshi.wikia.com/wiki/Hashish

I don't know if its that profitable to sell at The Hub. At least on my playthrough the markup price for hashish is around 104%, if sold at the Shinobi Trader, it lowers to 52%, so a bad deal. (I actually forgot if the barman from The Hub buys illegal goods)

Well, I think the markup prices for everything is randomized for each playthrough, because the markup prices especially for hashish is a bit different for me from the wikia for the cities listed there.

Deleted Member 16721

They gave me a great deal on Hashish so it must be randomized. Mine was in the several hundred + area, so I made a healthy profit on 75 bundles. Just loaded up my pack bull and away I went.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Thought this one time I encountered a high Paladin on the road and he asked me about my Sheks, told him they were my slaves. Well he wanted them to go to Rebirth. I said that they are fine with me, than I realized that he was talking with my female Scorchlander, as he said something like "I do not think a woman can handle these creatures". Well, than the fight started as I wouldn't let them take Maag away from me (and a couple more Sheks). Uhm yeah. I think I could have talked my way out if I initiated the conversation with my male Greenlander ;) .

I have had these same situations happen on earlier playthroughs. Usually you can talk your way out, but I do remember one instance where they insisted on taking my Shek even though I am pretty sure I was speaking as a male Greenlander. So maybe there is some randomness to it, or it checks a skill. It's also possible that I did something wrong or am not recalling the situation correctly, because it was a while ago.

I think there was another time where they told me they needed recruits for their army and demanded I volunteer one of my characters. I pretty much always reload in these instances since I can't be fucked to lose my guys that way.

Saduj

Arcane
Maybe I missed a line of dialogue but I could have sworn I got attacked by Holy Nation guards simply for having a female Shek with me. When I entered town, the guard said something like "Make sure to keep your slave in line". Did my business without any trouble and went to leave and the guard said something obnoxious and then attacked me. The way I remember it, at no point was I in dialogue with either character. The guard's comments were just floating text.

They gave me a great deal on Hashish so it must be randomized. Mine was in the several hundred + area, so I made a healthy profit on 75 bundles. Just loaded up my pack bull and away I went.
still grog sells for 1200 a piece, everywhere, everytime, no risks and it's made with two very abundant resources you're going to use for something else too anyway.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Maybe I missed a line of dialogue but I could have sworn I got attacked by Holy Nation guards simply for having a female Shek with me. When I entered town, the guard said something like "Make sure to keep your slave in line". Did my business without any trouble and went to leave and the guard said something obnoxious and then attacked me. The way I remember it, at no point was I in dialogue with either character. The guard's comments were just floating text.

It seems like there is just an element of unpredictability to how they respond. Probably why most NPCs advise steering clear of HN land altogether.

Deleted Member 16721

So I bought a Longhouse in Squin and I'm kind of wishing I didn't. It's big enough for a Research Bench II but I don't know how helpful it is for 19,000c. I was hoping to do research and craft but it looks like I'll need iron plates and resources that Squin just doesn't carry much of. What to do, what to do. Did I just waste 19,000c or can a Longhouse in town be useful a bit? I at least built a weapon smith but I need more iron plates, and the town has barely any merchants...

Deleted Member 16721

Is this game essentially complete feature-wise? It's so amazing yet I feel some stuff seems unfinished. I really hope they continue to work on it. They have to. A game like this comes out once in a lifetime and they can't walk away from it. Anyone have any information on this?

Tovias

Learned
So I bought a Longhouse in Squin and I'm kind of wishing I didn't. It's big enough for a Research Bench II but I don't know how helpful it is for 19,000c. I was hoping to do research and craft but it looks like I'll need iron plates and resources that Squin just doesn't carry much of. What to do, what to do. Did I just waste 19,000c or can a Longhouse in town be useful a bit? I at least built a weapon smith but I need more iron plates, and the town has barely any merchants...
I normally set on Squin. Buy materials from the general store on town and the waystation outside.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Is this game essentially complete feature-wise? It's so amazing yet I feel some stuff seems unfinished. I really hope they continue to work on it. They have to. A game like this comes out once in a lifetime and they can't walk away from it. Anyone have any information on this?

No. It's not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Kenshi/comments/a6ru2r/post10_roadmap_update/

Post-1.0 Roadmap Update
renderTimingPixel.png

Again I'm slow to the draw with an update that I should've provided a few days ago, but again, better late than never.

Anyway, I've seen a lot of talk here and on other platforms for Kenshi about the future of the game now that it hit 1.0, specifically when it comes to content updates. I'm also seeing a few people bring up multiplayer, which was covered long ago but I will revisit in this post:

Let me try and break this down for you guys, starting with the frequently asked question that is "multiplayer":

• Multiplayer never made it into Kenshi, and never will be part of the base game. Furthermore, it cannot be modded in. There was talk many, many years ago by some in the community about an upcoming mod that would try to add multiplayer, but it stopped at talk. The developer himself confirmed in an AMA four years ago that by that point of development, adding it would be impossible. Even if it could be modded, it would require so many changes to the fundamental mechanics of Kenshi that it may as well be another game.
Then there's the newer question of content drops that started flowing in post-1.0, which the title of this post highlights:

• The game will not be receiving anymore content drops or engine changes. All future updates will be thrown at squashing new and existing bugs, and updates to localization. This was confirmed days ago in a Twitter post and on their road map.
Rather than lament about this though, let's reflect on what did make it:

Unarmed combat. Super meme-worthy, allowing you to run around hitting people with flying punches and kicks. Has a whole set of unique animations, and introduced dodging as a mechanic even outside of martial arts. Cool and unexpected stuff that was only the beginning, and allowed for the creation of mods like this one.

Ranged weapons. Of all luxury features, this one was what everyone expected and hoped for. Some ambitious modders even tried making it a reality years in advance, only to fail tremendously. Not only did they add ranged weapons, but the variety is astounding, jam-packed with around 7 different weapons of varying strengths, weaknesses, and models. Makes end-game threats trivial in the right hands, and paved way for all sorts of fun and popular mods like the Tanegashima Gun and Remington 870.

Limb dismemberment and prosthetics. Man, this was a real crazy one. For a long time this was considered scrapped, with ranged weapons being the only major luxury feature with a chance of making it to 1.0. Instead, we get this bundled into the same package. Not only does it work, but they didn't half-ass it either. Economic, skeleton, KLR, stealth, scout, steady, thief, and lifter limbs with their own unique stats and models ensure you'll never be short of a little variety in your trans-humanist diet. Cornerstone for great mods, the most recent of which being this masterpiece.

Blood. Yes, blood. Imagine this game without blood! No, it's not by any means perfect, but it serves its purpose and then some. Before blood, art simply didn't exist in Kenshi. Now it has suffering artists which make a statement by painting circles in the sand of literal blood, sweat, and tears. Allowed for the creation of mods that give races more individuality, like this one.

Sorry if this ruins anyone's hopes and dreams. I know, it sucks. It's important not to dwell on what could be, however, and to instead appreciate the game for what did make it, against the odds. Who knows? Perhaps this won't be the last we hear of Captain Deathbeard on Kenshi, and there's still much to hear about the future endeavors of LoFi. ;)

Deleted Member 16721

Sad. I wish they'd continue development. It's such an amazing game, truly unique and totally refreshing. I would love for them to open up mod support more and keep adding features or DLC. I would throw money at any new content they developed in an instant.

Zanzoken

Arcane
When you've spent as much time on a game as these devs have it probably feels really good to finally call it "complete", but I would not necessarily be surprised if they returned to it after a break. The sales are strong (#19 on Steam right now) and the game's audience is steadily growing, so an expansion could be worth their time.

It's a little tricky because the areas where the game needs the most improvement -- faction mechanics, world reactivity, etc -- can't easily be sold as a product. With an expansion or DLC people usually expect new content, not just improved systems.

Deleted Member 16721

Shoot, if they add faction mechanics and world reactivity as a DLC, I'd pay $100 for it!! No lie. Add in a real economy and it would be not only God-tier as it is now, but Beyond God Status Tier. I think their fans would buy a DLC like that because the fans of this game expect and would appreciate these sorts of features.

Saduj

Arcane
Manhunter base was pretty disappointing.

Thought they would have someone I could offer to Anti-Slavers. No boss at home and pretty sure they don't have one. There really isn't much there other than a lot of poorly equipped Manhunters and some food. They didn't even attack when I picked the lock and came in. Wandered around the main building until they attacked. Rest of base, including guards standing right outside the building, didn't aggro immediately. Wandered around outside and eventually a large group of them attacked. Even then only parts of the base would aggro at one time. Had to go house to house. Some of the buildings were glitched and I had to bring guys to the doorway and pick them up to get them out. Probably took a day and half in game to finish them off. Pretty lame. They have turrets all over that place. When I first broke in, I was surprised by how many people were there. And that didn't include all the ones that were inside the bunk houses. If they had all attacked at once and manned all those turrets, it would have been interesting. Eventually a lone slave hunter came in and starting putting shackles on the downed Manhunters. Only saving grace of the whole episode.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
It would be easier researching/crafting in a town with all of the non-rare items you'll need available in stores. In my game, I recruited Izumi when I reached Stoat in the Great Desert, bought a house in town, and had her research there. My main squad eventually supplied her with ancient science books, engineering plans, and AI cores, after they became powerful enough to begin raiding ancient ruins.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
When you've spent as much time on a game as these devs have it probably feels really good to finally call it "complete", but I would not necessarily be surprised if they returned to it after a break. The sales are strong (#19 on Steam right now) and the game's audience is steadily growing, so an expansion could be worth their time.

It's a little tricky because the areas where the game needs the most improvement -- faction mechanics, world reactivity, etc -- can't easily be sold as a product. With an expansion or DLC people usually expect new content, not just improved systems.

Yep. The game is a success and still growing. Cohh is doing streams with 13k+ viewers each day (sometimes even 18k+).

The main developer spent 12 years on this game. I cannot imagine how many mistakes he did and in what development and literal hell the game and himself were for years.

That being said, I would not be surprised if he announces Kenshi 2.0 on a different engine. If he doesn't then someone else will (sooner or later).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom