Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

ortucis

Prophet
I bought this game a long time ago, but haven't played it at all.

Still waiting for the developer to release a final update (which apparently is close?).

Jinn

Arcane
(which apparently is close?).

With the way it's looking, I'd guess before the end of this year or early 2019.

While the game is certainly a ton of fun and very playable in its current state, I've decided to hold off on hitting it hard until the final release. I've still been playing a little bit here and there though, because I honestly can't help myself. This game has got its hooks in me. It's so intriguing in so many ways.

ortucis

Prophet
(which apparently is close?).

With the way it's looking, I'd guess before the end of this year or early 2019.

While the game is certainly a ton of fun and very playable in its current state, I've decided to hold off on hitting it hard until the final release. I've still been playing a little bit here and there though, because I honestly can't help myself. This game has got its hooks in me. It's so intriguing in so many ways.

Yeah see, I like the idea behind it, that's why supported the developer by buying it. But I don't want to ruin my experience by playing broken version in a game like this where you have to invest a lot of time.

That's why I've been waiting for the final release. I think it'll be worth it (I still read the update logs :P).

Morkar Left

Is there radiation in the game? How moddable is it? Firearms? Cars? Or more low tech medieval?

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

Is there radiation in the game? How moddable is it? Firearms? Cars? Or more low tech medieval?

No radiation in the game but there are some side effect if you are not prepared to face certain ambients.. Acid rain or soil,poisonous fog,sandstorms
The game is fairly moddable firearms are already in while cars are not.
Technology level.
It has some hints of high tech there are robots, automatic mineral drills, wind turbines, robotic limbs, fuel based generators but unlike the real world the use of tecnology is mostly based about "it worked in the lost past we are still discovering back the tech" so in the end they have technology for some things but in other things they are still primitive.

I won't call it medieval but there are some medieval elements for example the Holy Nation has a strong hate for tecnology if they will see a character that is not a greenlander or that have a robotic limb they will draw their sword because they think technology is absolutely evil and bring doom.
There is a reason for that and there is a deep lore but is not trow in your face in order to learn it you have to travel around a lot.

There are not vehicles caravans move on foot and with pack animals.

For what i know about the lore and the world seem technology already had his peak then something happened something that changed the whole face of the planet and caused a regression at a savage state.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Well I've got about thirty in-game days under my belt on this playthrough, and have developed something resembling a plan for my outpost:

1) My current party consists of 7 fighters + 1 skeleton laborer. I'd like to reach 12 quality fighters + another couple of workers before settling. My fighters are around 15 to 20 in stats with Refitted weapons and no armor. Certainly improved, but not yet strong enough. I can handle starving bandits and have managed to squeak out a couple victories over dust bandits, but we are still pretty vulnerable and have to be careful out in the field.

2) I decided to stick with my existing strategy of buying a house in Squin and using it to slowly build up strength and resources before venturing out. The setup is pretty bare bones -- just some beds, a research bench, and a leather tanning station. I've found that turning animal skins into leather increases profit by about 60%, and trains skellington to be a better smith. I am researching as much tech as I can for the outpost so hopefully I can hit the ground running, but starting to run into Ancient Science book / Engineer requirements which I know nothing about. The main drawback of city living is you have no ability to produce building materials, iron plates, etc on your own.

3) So for outpost location -- I did some reading on the wiki and I'm thinking I want to try heading up north near World's End. It's far from UC or Holy Nation territory and supposedly pretty fertile land. Of course the major obstacle is our friends the cannibals. But I find it much less intimidating fighting other people than spiders, beak things or other terrifying monsters, and given they don't seem to be a very advanced civilization I'm hoping with strong defenses we can keep them at bay.

That's still a ways off though. For now I just want to keep building up while avoiding any serious mistakes.

Emmanuel2

Savant
something happened something that changed the whole face of the planet and caused a regression at a savage state.

GIANT ROBOT CORPSES
fiYocuB.jpg
rNscp80.jpg
aLA6bb6.jpg
MZS2fpi.jpg

Some of my favorite places in or near the foglands tell this.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Another update. I reached my goal of recruiting 12 fighters. Top guys are low 20s in stats and the newer ones are coming along. The extra numbers help A TON in combat and dust bandits are really no longer an issue.

EXCEPT. I was patrolling around Squin looking for fights and won three in a row. The team was pretty roughed up but on my way home I spotted another group of maybe 15 hungry bandits. Fucking scrubs, easy XP. But because of the injuries we had already sustained, the bandits got several quick KOs and then overwhelmed the rest. Wiped by a bunch of hobos with sticks! I consider it a well-deserved ass kicking for being overconfident.

I tried to collect a $3k bounty on a Tech Hunters wanderer I met outside of town. He was way stronger than my guys -- 40s and 50s in stats -- but with a 12 to 1 advantage I figured why not see what happens. He dropped four of my people but we got him. Only then do I realize the bounty was put out by the UCs and the closest town is forever away. I don't want to let him go and risk trouble with the Tech Hunters, and since I can't kill him outright I decide the best course of action is to give this poor guy to the slavers. As soon as I drop the body they pounce like jackals. It seems to have worked though as my rep with the Techs is still neutral.

There is a lot more that could be said and I haven't even built a base yet. Honestly I was completely caught off guard by how much I am enjoying this game. It is already in my top 10 all-time and I feel like I am just getting started.

Last edited:

Ibbz

Augur
There is a lot more that could be said and I haven't even built a base yet. Honestly I was completely caught off guard by how much I am enjoying this game. It is already in my top 10 all-time and I feel like I am just getting started.

It's definitely surprised me by how enjoyable it is. Also, one thing that's not obvious from the UI currently - the '-40% stun' (or whatever percentage) you see next to cut resistance on armour is actually converted straight to blunt damage, so you want it to be lower where possible. (Basically the heavier the armour the better, but you have other trade offs such as slower athletics / combat speed)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/2/133261907145702720/

Zanzoken

Arcane
Also, one thing that's not obvious from the UI currently - the '-40% stun' (or whatever percentage) you see next to cut resistance on armour is actually converted straight to blunt damage, so you want it to be lower where possible. (Basically the heavier the armour the better, but you have other trade offs such as slower athletics / combat speed)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/233860/discussions/2/133261907145702720/

I did not realize that stun worked that way. I think I understand the intent -- getting hit by a sword probably still hurts like hell even if your armor keeps it from cutting you -- but that's a poor implementation.

Instead of being directly applied the converted damage should be added back to the passthrough damage pool and reduced by subsequent layers of armor.

Last edited:

Drax

Arcane
You guys convinced me, just bought the damn thing.
Any mods recommendations? (I just sub'd to a bunch on the workshop to try, wanting to know if there are some "essentials")

Ibbz

Augur
Any mods recommendations? (I just sub'd to a bunch on the workshop to try, wanting to know if there are some "essentials")
Depending on whether like grind or not - I'd suggest the 2EXP mod, which doubles the experience gain for skills. Everything is still slow to advance past the middle level, but more tolerable if you don't have hundreds of hours to pour in.

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

If you are in to building there is the interior mod if you want to decorate your structure in detail.. or the recruit prisoners mod if you want an alternate way to recruit people, it is balanced the probability of recruiting depends on the npc you captured.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are there portable ranged weapons now? Guns, bows, or crossbows?

*EDIT* Apparently, crossbows are in, but not the other.

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

There are crossbows but mods adds also rifles.

Zanzoken

Arcane
The combat is RTwP and is more cinematic than tactical. You basically just tell your dudes who to attack and then watch it play out. The fights look good too, with realistic swordfighting techniques. It sounds popamole on paper but there are so many other things to do that it doesn't matter.

The battles can get massive too. I ventured out to Mongrel to try my luck with the fogmen and ended up in a huuuuge throwdown. They managed to capture one of the Mongrel guards and had started eating him, so I figured I would try to make the save and get some positive rep. It was my party of 15 + 5 mercs + a few guards versus what ended up being close to 100 fogmen. Those fuckers just kept coming wave after wave, including princes and heavies.

We won the battle with no loss of life or limb, but only 5 of my guys were still on their feet at the end, and the captured guard didn't make it. They ate his arms, legs, and stomach. I ended up collecting probably a half dozen fog prince trophies so it was quite lucrative.

Hell of a scene all the way around.

Tovias

Learned
I've been playing so much kenshi the last weeks and it just never runs out of fuel for me. There is always some new surprise, event or location to see. The sheer ammount of "stories" I have lived in the game are amazing and the little details that keep coming out of nowhere just refresh it every time.
Here is a mod I suggest, Prisoner Recruitment. It's practically cheating when you recruit some baddit leader but god damn does it beat hiring starved people on the bars.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
How does it compare to RimWorld? I understand you generally have a more mobile squad of toons etc but the core idea is similar, no? Get people and eventually build a settlement and survive etc? Or is there a driving narrative?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There is no Driving narrative. It's just you and what you make of post-apocalyptic Vvardenfell.

Tovias

Learned
There is no real narrative or story arc except the one you make for yourself. There is plenty of objectives to be done though, such as conquering a certain evil, taking over enemy factions or exploring the world and discovering ancient technologies. Not sure if I can compare it to Rimworld, it's more like Warband in the sense that you build your own group and make your own fortune.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom