Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Joggerino

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I remember one time when I wandered into the Shrieking Forest with my party. It was a massacre, only the fastest guys survived.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Kenshi was lightning in a bottle. Really got the world exploration of good old MMO done right in a sp game, a rare thing.

I really wonder if they can do it with Kenshi 2. It all comes down to if they know what made 1 click with the audience.

Arulan

Cipher
I've come back to Kenshi after taking a break from it.

It was my intention to cross the Foglands to get to Mongrel a long time ago, but I was interrupted by cannibals and nearly eaten alive. This time I mean to cross.

foglands0sejr3.png

The fog is thick. You can't see where you're going at all. I tried to keep hopping from one hill to the next to stay out of the fog, but it wasn't long before I saw the Fogmen. I've heard tales about them before.

The battle isn't going very well. Most of my party becomes severely injured, some unconscious, and I'm forced to get to higher ground before I can start to recover. They take one of my companions away but I'm in no state to pursue them.

foglands1exkgm.png

They tie him up to a pole back at one of their camps. I'm still struggling to patch my party up and make sure I don't run into another group of them.

foglands2vbj66.png

You can just make out the camp they're keeping my companion at from up here. My party isn't in any condition to mount a rescue attempt, but I consider sending my stealth character to see what I can do, until...

foglands3m3je4.png

I watch him being eaten alive in some kind of sacrificial ritual knowing I can't do anything to help.

The more I play Kenshi the more I'm convinced this is one of the best RPGs to have come out in recent years. The world, its inhabitants, and factions are captivating, and through all of its system it creates some incredible emergent storytelling.

Oh, and that Lantern of Radiance didn't help at all. I was scammed.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Those are all pre-generated NPCs, except Dirk of course, that's my MC who started out rock bottom. Found most of them in Mongrel, actually.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Had one of my best Kenshi brawls ever against the fogmen. Party of 12 or so + some mercs I hired vs what must have been 100 fogmen or more, including many heavies and princes. We cut through the first few waves without much trouble, but they just kept coming, and injuries started to add up. Once people started getting KO'd, all hell broke loose. Ended up losing a couple guys, and nearly lost my main character too. But we made it through.

I wonder... are there are any good mods that rebalance the game so the power curve is significantly flattened? It would be interesting to see what it would be like if the difficulty were set a bit more realistically, so that the gap between level 1 and level 100 wasn't so dramatically steep. Maybe it would preserve that element of danger and vulnerability that makes early-game Kenshi so fun and intense.

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Everyone's like "wow use that one plateau in the Fog Islands for a base!" but I think I found a much better spot:
Clipboard01.jpg

Enough fertility to grow everything except rice, 2 copper, tons of iron and most importantly: Only two easily defendable entrances. I walled off one side and placed a tiny gate at the other end. Plop a watchtower next to it, install a few crossbows and BAM, you're safe and sound.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Enough fertility to grow everything except rice, 2 copper, tons of iron and most importantly: Only two easily defendable entrances. I walled off one side and placed a tiny gate at the other end. Plop a watchtower next to it, install a few crossbows and BAM, you're safe and sound.
I liked to use double of triple gates, but only close the first one after a few opponents passed it then open the second once the first one was closed to kill the opponents trapped between with my melee characters.

Salvo

Arcane
Everyone's like "wow use that one plateau in the Fog Islands for a base!" but I think I found a much better spot:
View attachment 22685

Settling in the foglands or Gut turns the game into a tower defense

polo

Magister
View attachment 22685

Its quite small

mondblut

Arcane
I walled off one side and placed a tiny gate at the other end. Plop a watchtower next to it, install a few crossbows and BAM, you're safe and sound.

Tiny gate won't help you against a hundred of fogmen. They'll break through within seconds. Heck, half of a large horde ends up pushed through to the other side even without breaking it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom